Tropical House structure! Please help!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey people! I'm new in this forum, and I'm producing some stuff, now I want to try something more professional, that's why I'm looking for some advice about the strcuture! I've been dowloading some samples, and now I want to know if you can give me some help to produce some tropical house! I want to produce a good track

my daw is ableton live 9.5 and the type of music is thomas jack, matoma, mowe or kygo style

Thank you in advice!!!

House is house. At 128PBM there are 32 measures every minute. Let's call that a "32." A house track will vary between say five to six minutes on the short side and 8 minutes or so on the longer side. At house tempos, which are a little slower than 128BPM, the same 32 bars takes slightly longer than a minute. So, we will have time for between five and seven 32s.

The first 32 is always the intro. The intro can take many forms but at the end of the 32 the song should "drop" into the first full musical idea at the beginning of the second 32. The last 32 is always the outro and similarly should lead the track into a DJ friendly mix portion over the last 32 bars.

That really only leaves you with three 32s in the middle. The first plays the full musical idea, the second includes any major breakdown and the third either reprises the first idea with a new twist or brings in a second idea. For a longer track with six or seven 32s you can extend this to really flesh out the second idea, or include a longer build, or whatever.

For getting started with house I would always suggest that start with five 32s and that you focus on building up that second 32. Get the main musical idea down. Then duplicate it five times, strip out detail for the intro and outro to build up to it, and down from it respectively. Strip down the middle 32 to create the build and add something to the fourth 32 to develop interest.

To make Island house, you need to add bikinis and velveeta and you are good to go.

coffeepep wrote:I want to produce a good track
Don't we all? :D

As for structure, listening to tracks in the genre you like and copying their arrangement is a good starting point.

Almost all the house music I've listened to down the years tends to work in blocks of 8 bars or multiples thereof. And, as I'm sure you're aware, Tropical House tends to be at 115bpm or slower.

Also check out this guide to arrangement: http://innerportalstudio.com/articles/A ... gSongs.pdf

If you do manage to produce a good track, perhaps you could let me know the secret! :hihi:

1wob2many wrote:
coffeepep wrote:I want to produce a good track
Don't we all? :D

As for structure, listening to tracks in the genre you like and copying their arrangement is a good starting point.

Almost all the house music I've listened to down the years tends to work in blocks of 8 bars or multiples thereof. And, as I'm sure you're aware, Tropical House tends to be at 115bpm or slower.
Aka, ballad house. Really, it's just another form of EDM.
Also check out this guide to arrangement: http://innerportalstudio.com/articles/A ... gSongs.pdf
Not a bad guide, there's more detail than I provide above, but, I'll say that for styles like Island house you really want to think in terms of the 32. Vocals are not going to fit in an eight bar loop. So, use the ideas in that guide to create the 32, add your vocals, and then use the ideas in that guide, to replicate the 32 five times and start stripping away stuff.
If you do manage to produce a good track, perhaps you could let me know the secret! :hihi:
The problem, of course, is good depends a lot on who's asking.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”