Decided to finally purchase a couple Synths (VST) and I need some help

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know a lot of people don't do their research and just throw up bunch of crap in one message and expect seasoned producers to spoon feed them the answer. I am not one of those people. I have done a lot of research and I have some background in music production but I am no where near professional. Please help me choose the right VST as they are very expensive and I keep reading contradicting reviews. I understand that in music production there is no exact RIGHT or WRONG per se but hopefully you could give me a better direction here so I can make an informative decision. I produce EDM, Dubstep, Trance, Electro-House...

The synths I want to get:

Sylenth1
NI Massive
reFX Nexus
Spire
Serum
Dune 2
Codex Wavetable Synth
Z3TA + 2

I understand that reFX Nexus is a ROMpler. Pretty much bunch of ready sounds with limited synth capabilities. I think Z3TA+2 Is also similar to Nexus as well as Spire. Although Spire is a lot more customizable.

The simple answer is: Sylenth1 (if you want to learn how to create powerful sounds and sound unique, I understand that very well...)

Although, I hear a lot of producers still use the VSTs included in the list other that Sylenth1 and they're respected producers. I know the major differences between these VSTs but I can really use your help in helping me make the verdict and decide which 2-3 I will buy.

I think reFX Nexus is pretty much off the list immediately. Too expensive and is not offering enough synth customization, what you see is what you get sort of thing. I really like Spire but maybe I am missing something? Maybe it's not as good as it seems?

I know for a fact that almost every producer will never say anything against Massive and Sylenth1 So I will get them in the near future even if I end up getting Spire and Serum for example. I will still get Sylenth1 and Massive, just gotta save up a bit more.

I know it's a long thread, bear with me. I don't have much money and I want to make the right decision here. Maybe some of you guys have enough experience with the above VSTs and can shed some positive light on the matter. If there is a Snyth I did not include and you think it's necessary to include it, please feel free to do so.
Last edited by iSolo on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Out of curiosity, why have you not demo'd them to learn if you like their sound and workflow? Think of them as blind dates....
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

ghettosynth wrote:...
I tried them all out. Demo version is available on the front page right beside the purchase button most of the time. Like I said, I am not at that level where I can turn a few knobs and try out a synth and decide that this is the one I will use. I am still just starting out. This is why I came here to ask for advice. Good question though.

Why did you edit your post from whatever you wrote to "..."?

Perhaps spend some time with good free synths until you are familiar with the knobs. Fortunately there are many kvr threads on free synths! (Just trying to save you wasting any money...)
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote:Perhaps spend some time with good free synths until you are familiar with the knobs. Fortunately there are many threads on free synths. (Just trying to save you wasting any money...)
Thanks. Will do. I guess that's gonna be the advice from every seasoned producer. Moderators. I guess you can save everyone time and lock this thread. I got my answer.

Thanks everyone.

iSolo wrote:If there is a Snyth I did not include and you think it's necessary to include it, please feel free to do so.
I would get a free Snyth to start with.

Musical Gym wrote:
iSolo wrote:If there is a Snyth I did not include and you think it's necessary to include it, please feel free to do so.
I would get a free Snyth to start with.
Just got a couple. Gonna play around and see what I get out of them.

It's not effing per-say!

Per se
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:It's not effing per-say!

Per se
My bad. Why are you people so hostile?

iSolo wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:It's not effing per-say!

Per se
My bad. Why are you people so hostile?
LOL. Not against you per se.

I've heard it loads this week for some reason. I was finally tipped over the edge. Apologies.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

When you demo synthesizers : Just use presets already on board and try to make some music with the ones you enjoy to see if it fits your needs and feel. Also possibly listen to some audio demos of the synths ( on manufacturer site, sound designers sites etc) This will give you a much better idea of this or that synth.

Then start in a progressive way to customise presets, and adapt them to your work. As you describe yourself, you'll obviously depend more or less on presets for a certain time. By the time you will be able to create your own presets, no doubt you'll be able to get a few more synths. And choose them with a more focused POV. So dont worry too much about possibilities etc. A minimoog is simple, and sounds so good it has been used in billions of tracks. If it sounds good -for you-, then ... it is good :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

A combination of Sylenth and Serum suits your needs perfectly.

Nexus is too expensive if you're going to be buying a lot of preset packs.

Both Sylenth and Serum have thousands of free and commercially available presets/banks available for them, both sound excellent and both are relatively easy to use when you become more confident in your programming abilities. You could substitute Serum for Massive if that was your preference but Sylenth is still the top dog for simple subtractive synthesis.

www.syntorial.com get that one first, and while making the course try the synths, making the free lessons with them.

Personally I would get Hive or Massive as first synth, but the one I use the most is Diva.
dedication to flying

Thank you all so much for the great replies. You helped immensely. I even got a grammar lesson here ;) I read every comment carefully and I hope I can share my first sounds with this community soon :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”