Should I get an better audio interface / DAC? Headphone Impedance?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My ~$60 sennheisers broke. I went looking for a new pair and it has been many many hours and days still haven't decided, and now I'm asking here if I should get an audio interface or DAC and/or go for a high impedance headphones.

I want clear, neutral, flat headphones. I narrowed it down to Shure SRH440 or KRK KNS-8400 (~$110) but then I learned they only have 44 and 36 ohm impedance respectively.

From what I gathered on impedance so far, it's more of like a protection from blow out damage to have high impedance (100-600ohm) phones and that to even get sound out of them, you need a headphone amp (or USB audio interface?). To get them loud, you need a high-impedance output, but I don't like loud, I don't want to damage my hearing. However, some say that high impedance phones will give clearer, better sound (if not blasting volume).
You can't just use high impedance phones (100ohm+?) with a cellphone because you will get little or no sound. I rarely use my phones with cellphone and if I do, I'm okay with just getting a ~$30 low impedance pair just for that if I decide to go with high impedance for PC.

I want really clear good audio quality for general music listening and for my DAW (basically just Fruity Loops with mid-grade VST synths, and I have some hardware virtual analog synths, electric guitar, electric drum set, and might be getting an electric bass).

Based on the above what I learned about impedance, I was going to just get the 36 or 44 ohm Shure or KRK phones anyway because I didn't feel the need to hassle with getting a dedicated headphone amp to possibly get a clearer sound, and as mentioned, I don't blast the volume anyway which could blow low ohm phones. and it took me forever to get to those two choices.

But then I read If you are listening to your music on a computer a headphone amp with an internal digital to analog converters (DAC) will dramatically improve your listening.

Do my Headphones Need a Headphone Amp? - headphone.com

I just use my ~$125 GA-Z97-HD3 motherboard audio which is:
Audio
1.Realtek® ALC887 codec
2.High Definition Audio
3.2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
4.Support for S/PDIF Out

As far as DAC, if it matters, I don't have any true analog synthesizers but I probably will eventually. I don't know if making the signal digital via the computer will void it being analog in the first place though, and that I would have can only listen straight from the synth's output to get true analog audio from them.

I have this Roland duo Capture USB audio interface.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/duo-capture/
I can't find what impedance it outputs, if it even acts as a headphone amp also? Or possibly also acts like a DAC? I only bought it to connect un-amped electric guitar to PC and possibly needed it for synths. I don't know because I haven't used it in a while.

I'm willing to upgrade from that if there's good reason. I don't want to spend more than like $175 total for DAC and audio interface. Maybe I can just get a DAC and keep the Roland Duo Capture? I don't want to get rid of it for %25 more quality. Also if the DAC and/or amp need a bunch of complicated setting configuration etc, I don't think I want to even deal with it. I want basically just plug and play.

I will do some more research in the meantime but figured I'd ask yous in the meantime. thanks

and apparently my user name means butt + pssy according to urban dictionary, lol I didn't realize that when I made it, it was because with one less s was already taken. Anyway.

Go to a shop and ask a demo for high impedance next to low impedance (should be the same cans, it exists)
In a blind test you'd be hard pressed to hear any difference.

So better pay attention to how it fits your ears and how it sounds. The latter has not much correlation with impedance alas...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Then I forgot: the "phones" out on your Roland Duo Capture (yes that has a DAC! ) probably gives better sound quality than the Realtek onboard yer mobo.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Eventually, you'll want to put down the headphones for a pair of nearfield monitors.

Getting a pair of monitors is pretty much a day and night difference IMO.

I was pretty much strictly mixing all my stuff on a pair of KRK KNS8400 headphones, but then I ended up taking the plunge and bought a pair of Focal Alpha 80 monitors and some Yorkville stands with isolators. I also bought an Apogee Duet interface instead of relying on my Macbook Pros headphone outputs which are not that great tbh. The Alpha 80s are the top of their line in Focals Budget range, and if this is their budget range then I am definitely interested in their other speakers.

It was pretty good timing because the KRK headphones are starting to distort, which means they are probably good to get passed on to my younger brother.

My next pair of headphones are going to be the Focal Spirit Professional, because I am very impressed so far with Focal speakers.

Anyhow if i was going to recommend something.. it would be getting a decent pair of monitors. If that's out of the question, then invest in a pair of Focal headphones.

Remember you get what you pay for with audio. This is pretty much true with all technology.

You have to figure out what kind of quality you want to work with.
:borg:

all right, case closed finally. Thanks for the input.

I'm going to get KRK KNS-8400 headphones (which were confirmed vegan with email in case anyone ever googles to find vegan headphones. There are some others that have "protein leather" which is fake leather but treated with some sort of animal protein such as eggs. I haven't heard back about the Shure SRH440 / SRH840 if vegan but I leaned towards the KRKs anyway between these two brands for Neutral / Flat / precise monitoring sound). Reasons for getting the KRK and not the Shures are in the headfi link below which is basically me cross linking all my posts to hopefully make this easier for someone looking for the same thing, even if not particularly vegan. One extra point goes towards the KRKs though in the comparison because I originally pointed out that the Shures have ~$4 shipped aftermarket replacement pads on ebay (which are probably garbage but just saying) but the KRKs are ~$35 but I'm sure someone has figured out a good enough match to not have to spend 1/3 the cost of the phones for replacement pads if ever needed.

And I'll stick with my Roland duo capture USB audio interface which I am told does have a DAC, and will give better audio with it than my onboard realtek HD. Basically as told in replies in the links, I am told that high impedance will be very hard to tell the difference between the same model with low impedance. Kind of like blind testing an analog synth to a digital one. It is however a good safety measure to not blow the speaker if using a high impedance output source but I could be wrong about that but I'm not going to even look into it more. Take care.

http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/p ... ce-521151/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806080/200-or- ... se-help-me

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806289/neutral ... 0-kns-6400

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end ... dance.html

bussy233 wrote:all right, case closed finally. Thanks for the input.

I'm going to get KRK KNS-8400 headphones (which were confirmed vegan with email in case anyone ever googles to find vegan headphones.

Didn't know they were Vegan-friendly, that's kind of cool.

I think you should be fairly happy with the KRK-KNS8400s. Make sure you give them plenty of time to break in before making any judgements as they do need a bit of time to loosen up.

My pair of KRK-KNS8400 have been with me for about 5 years now and they still sound pretty good. They got more than their fair share of use, and I think they have helped me make better mixes than I might have got with a cheaper pair.

I originally went with them, because they didn't require a dedicated headphone amp to drive them with. The frequency response is also fairly generous for the amount you pay for.

Next thing you might want to consider is a headphone amp to drive them with.
:borg:

spacekid wrote:Eventually, you'll want to put down the headphones for a pair of nearfield monitors.
Then you spend a few years trying to tame the room acoustics, before buying a better set of headphones to A/B against.

Repeat ad nauseam ;)

Kaine wrote:
spacekid wrote:Eventually, you'll want to put down the headphones for a pair of nearfield monitors.
Then you spend a few years trying to tame the room acoustics, before buying a better set of headphones to A/B against.

Repeat ad nauseam ;)
I didn't, I've loved nearfields since '00. With no adjustment, other than, OMG I can hear everything better.

Nice, fair enough, keep it that way! :)

Had my nearfields for for about the same length of time, gone though the process of upgrading my cans over the last few years, and my current ones absolutely beat my speakers hands down for just about any scenario. I'm moving shortly and then doing a proper room conversion, so I know ultimately I'm going to crumble and pick up a new pair of KH310's before the end of the year... I fully admit I don't have enough self control not too! :D

Kaine wrote:Nice, fair enough, keep it that way! :)

Had my nearfields for for about the same length of time, gone though the process of upgrading my cans over the last few years, and my current ones absolutely beat my speakers hands down for just about any scenario. I'm moving shortly and then doing a proper room conversion, so I know ultimately I'm going to crumble and pick up a new pair of KH310's before the end of the year... I fully admit I don't have enough self control not too! :D
sweet :) The only thing I learned early on was to balance them with an SPL meter, and to just know to keep the loudness down a bit. It really isn't an issue once you can hear everything well, better speakers seem to sound better at low volumes than poor ones.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”