Synths jittering even with low CPU usage

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm having trouble with my VSTs, mainly u-he ones (Diva, Bazille), even with one single instance. It sounds like buffer underruns, even though none are showing in the reporting in the DAW.

My CPU usage is not anywhere near the maximum. Looking at Windows performance meter, an instance of Diva or Bazille doesn't seem to use more than 10%. It mainly happens when playing multiple notes. I thought it could be voice stealing, so I increased the polyphony but that didn't help. It actually seemed to make it worse. It's possible I'm missing some important setting here, hopefully someone can clue me in on what to look for.

Here are my machine specs:

MSI Z97 PC Mate motherboard
Intel i7-4790k
32 gb corsair vengeance DDR3 RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface

I've tried ASIO4All and Focusrite's ASIO driver, and both of them have the issue. In FL studio 11, it reports Diva patches as hitting 40% or higher on the CPU, and in Reaper, I haven't been able to make one report over 10%.

Download LatencyMon and see if you need to deactivate some Windows services (be careful, if you don't know what you're doing, better post the result of LatencyMon before). The Nvidia audio driver can also wreak havoc in the audio subsystem so uninstall it.

cake builder wrote:I'm having trouble with my VSTs, mainly u-he ones (Diva, Bazille), even with one single instance. It sounds like buffer underruns, even though none are showing in the reporting in the DAW.
Your not running in demo mode?

Do you have any rogue processes eating up a bunch of CPU? How many instances of those synths are you using, or are you using anything else at the same time?
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

lolilol1975 wrote:Download LatencyMon and see if you need to deactivate some Windows services (be careful, if you don't know what you're doing, better post the result of LatencyMon before). The Nvidia audio driver can also wreak havoc in the audio subsystem so uninstall it.
The audio driver isn't too bad, although I do tend to remove it. Its the "Nvidia Experience" client that will really screw up your day.

Yeah, Latency Monitor is the first point of call. Though, if you get sporadic/random things wrong with LatencyMon, check if it's not hardware related (overheating), a program like Speccy is free and very useful. I had a similar problem as you (Intel i5, Focusrite Pro40), LatencyMon just gave problem after problem, then after running Speccy I realized my CPU was running @ ~95 degrees!!! One of the pins that was holding the heatsink in place broke.

P.S. The Nvidia Experience is annoying.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”