Where and what to learn for a noob?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So ive dabled on and off in music and DAW's over the years.

Forgotten more than i remember and wondering are there any books to guide a noob in what they need to learn in music production?

Eg: what aspects of music theory, what to focus on, what to learn next, etc

Ive used FL studio and ableton live in the past but never reached my potential due to a lack of direction and idea of what to learn next.

Im going to go for Reaper as my DAW (the pricetag being of great importance in my situation).

I cant play keyboard and would like to learn.

So essentially my question is this...

Is there a guide anywhere (in a book or website format) that would guide me from a noob to experienced producer? If not, anything coming close to this would be valuable.

Cheers :)

Everything. Learning never ends.

I have an idea to write such a guide, as many newbies ask this question. But first I need to get famous and stuff :hihi:

Learning to play a keyboard is a good start. I made a good progress with Synthesia. There are teachers, both on Youtube and in real life. Other possibilities are guiatrs, drums (finger drumming) and singing, of course ;)

Music theory: harmony for starters. You can get somewhere with chords and scales alone. Check original MIDis.

Synthesis... is a neverending road. Once toy get the basics of oscilaltors and filters, just practice copying presets from one synth to another.

And, of course, try everything you learn. Try to make something listenable out of every technique you learn.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Learn to play an instrument (guitar, keyboard, etc), and listen to lots of music. Its a long road, so have fun and enjoy it.

Cool, thank you guys.

Gives me some ideas to work with :)

Music theory for computer musicians? Nice book :tu:

Distorted Horizon wrote:Music theory for computer musicians? Nice book :tu:
Yes. Hewitt also wrote 'Composition for Computer Musicians' that is at the next level, but just as well-written. A highly-rated mixing book is 'Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio' by Mike Senior. I would get that book before you buy any monitors or plugins, to get the most out of what you already have in your DAW. (BTW, MuLab is the same price as Reaper but entirely different, and has a free version.)
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Thanks for book ideas guys....have started on music theory for computer musicians and getting hold of a piano teacher soon :D

I would recommend learning to play an instrument, the keyboard/piano for a start.

If you want to learn synthesis check out Syntorial.
dedication to flying

arran wrote:
I cant play keyboard and would like to learn.
Do this. It's by far the most valuable tool in your arsenal.

It takes the longest to learn, but for a reason.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”