Please help me with recording Audio

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,im kinda new to this , i know how to work in DAW how to process a bit ,but i have a major problem setting up the pre-amp and mic ,how to work correctly with gain and tone(to ad airlift or no) im really confused.Im using Avalon V5 and a Beyerdynamic Mc 840 PV, Quite frankly im confused a bit about adjusting Polar pattern(i know that the best for recording is the cardioid one) ,pre-ATT(i know that this ia lowering the volume or something kind of that),and last but not least the roll-off filter(80 hz 160hz) Damn it gives me headaches
It would mean soo much if you would help me
Best wishes ,Mark

Wow, that's not really a beginner's setup :-) You likely want to use the Cardioid pattern because it only picks up sound from one side of the microphone (where the singer would be). The pre-attenuation lowers the level that comes out of the mic, so if you see that you are getting overshoots in your preamp, that's a convenient way to remove 10 or 20 dB. And the roll-off filter can be useful to remove low frequency content when the sound is too boomy (usually when the singer is very close to the microphone). Alternatively, you can always shape the frequency content in your DAW after recording, which gives you more flexibility.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”