Recommend a microphone for recording samples and tutorial videos (AT2020's ?)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I'd very much like to get a microphone that would work well for both recording the occasional samples - guitars, flutes, vocals, cat toys, etc, and recording voice narration for tutorial videos and what not. What I have now just doesn't cut it. It picks up way to much noise :cry:

In short, I guess I would be happy with anything as long as it just doesn't record a lot of static. I'd prefer xlr so I can also track with headphones. The mic I have now uses up the headphone jack on my laptop.

I know next to nothing about mics,so any help would be appreciated.

Price range - around 100 -- it doesn't have to be too fancy for now. I'm also in a standard room, no treatment, if that matters (I'm sure it does, but as I said, just keeping it simple, but most importantly functional for now).

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Around 100 what? You can pick up an Audio Technica AT2020 for less than £100, and it's excellent for the price.

Thanks Garry, something simple is all I need. I don't really want to put too much thought or time into this for now.

I meant 100$ USD :D

I will check it out, any other recommendations before I make the purchase would be helpful.

Any other info I should know to sort down my options could also be helpful.

Cheers
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

For those kind of jobs you want to be looking at condenser microphones, so you could go anywhere from a Samson C01 (I have one of those and they're not really up to the job) right up to a high-end Neumann or a Brauner Phantom Classic. Asking on here, you might get more ideas about people's favourites than mic comparisons. A local dealer who knows his stock might give you good advice.

Touch The Universe wrote:The mic I have now uses up the headphone jack on my laptop.

I know next to nothing about mics,so any help would be appreciated.
I don't understand how a mic can be using a headphone output?

If you want a condenser mic you'll need phantom power from a mixer or audio interface. I'd reccomend a Rode NT1 for vocals, guitar, etc on a budget. I was previously using a Behringer C1, and the difference is night & day. BTW any mic can be connected via XLR ... you just need the right cable.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rode-nt1

I've pretty much decided to get the audio technica AT2020. I've found them in new condition on reverb and ebay for around 50$.

I own audio technica headphones and I'm super happy with them so I'm sure I'll like the microphone.

I plan on connecting it to my focusrite 2i4 interface via xlr.

Yes, it seems a microphone can be hooked up via xlr, usb, and a headphone outlet on a laptop.

Any mic above 100, for now, wouldn't be a good investment imo, otherwise, I'd rather get new monitors for 1500.

Thanks guys. If anyone else can vouch for the audio technica's I'd love to hear it. If you personally own a pair, can you comment on how much static/noise it picks up?

TTU Youtube

Me again. The Focusrite 2i4 is the same audio interface that I use. If you get any crackling from it, and you're sure it's not from your buffer size, download the latest USB driver from Focusrite.

There are plenty of reviews of the AT2020 online. The first one, from Sound on Sound, mentions noise, but it depends on the environment you're using it in. If it's near a noisy PC, it's going to be noisy. I use mine a few feet away, facing away from my PC, and noise isn't a problem.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”