Two thoughts on future enhancements

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fycfung wrote:Just to elaborare on my suggestion before about the bars flashing dark when a note is pressed on an external keyboard: I was trying to pick out a tune on Luna, and for me, I might be able to hum the tune, but I might not know exactly which note it is until I hear it. So what I want to do it be able to hear it and then write it in at the appropriate position. If I play the note by clicking on the key, then I have to go to the left of the screen and then back (which would be easier for me if the dark bars for the black notes are a little darker). What would be nice would be to be able to put my mouse at the position where I want the note to go, and then hit the external controller key, get the corresponding row to flash dark, and then I could draw in the note there.

I suspect that such a capability will be very appealing to those CM readers who may not be good enough at note-reading/writing to really be able to figure out, without any such clues, which note to lay down next, without looping the track over and over to see if it sounds "right".

Thanks!
Hey, and what about: hold modifier (shift, control or alt) when pencil new note = hear the note without inserting it, then just clean pencil = insert note.

So then you could preview and draw the melody all with the mouse.

DELETED

Not sure what you mean. Please check the alt+pencil thing out in PR2.

DELETED

Hi Jo,
Thanks for being responsive to this request. I'll dredge up two things that I mentioned before, but I think could make a difference in this discussion (and I'm sure they'd be easy to implement as toggleable functions in some "preferences" window).

1. I think that sounding the note at the moment where you finish drawing it, or at the moment when you drop it after dragging it somewhere, will be very useful. That way, if you draw in a note to "audition" it, and it's wrong, then you can drag it up and down, and audition it in the appropriate places, and then just leave it there when you find the right spot. I think that's better than requiring a key combo. But then again, I like to compose with one hand.

2. I know you don't agree with me, but I still think that allowing a user to toggle a note by clicking on it with the pencil (i.e., deleting a note by clicking on it) is by far the easiest way to implement this. That way, every time you click on a grid position with the pencil, you hear it, and if it's not the one you want, you can just click on it and have it go away and try again. I think it's a lot faster and cleaner than trying to fuss with holding down a key to click on something. Perhaps this may seem risky if you're editing non-grid-snapped notes, e.g., a MIDI recording, but I think the undo will go a long way here, and once you get used to it, I think it's really fast. It wouldn't be with the pointer, only the pencil. And only a straight click would do the delete; if you click and drag at all, or even move a bit and back, it wouldn't get deleted. Are there any other fans of Anvil Studio's workflow out there? (Or am I the anomaly? :) ). Is the straight click-on-a-note with the pencil actually being used for anything else? I presume it would be easy to implement, and could be buried in a "use at your own risk" set of options, perhaps.

These two options would, in my book, boost Luna's piano roll right to the top in terms of usability for my workflow.

I would like to amend my previous comment by saying that I think that Alt+"press external keyboard note", or perhaps even "some external keyboard controller button"+"press external keyboard note" to just sound out the note would be great, for when you're trying to pick out a tune on the keyboard, when you're in the middle of step recording something; but that's a discussion for the time when step recording gets implemented.

Please check out PR2 first (coming soon) with the alt+pencil = preview note feature.

I'm confident that, together with the shaded keylanes and the keyboard monitor at the left, there is a good set of functionality for finding the right notes.

I hope you also understand that the R&D resources must be spread over the full application.

There are many aspects in LUNA, and not everything can be made 'perfect' from the start. I prefer to evolve LUNA with a homogeneous quality level. Initially good, then better, then even more better and so on... :)

And let's also not overrush LUNA's evolution. Give it time to grow. Then it grows better :)

I do track feature requests, and try to evaluate as good as possible which ones are most desired, taking overall concepts into account of course.
Is the straight click-on-a-note with the pencil actually being used for anything else?
No, but assigning a "delete note" operation to it sounds so weird/unnatural to me.

I'm not wiping it off the table, but i'm critical about this.

I'd prefer to find another solution for deleting a note withthe pencil. What about using a modifier? E.g. Shift+pencil = Delete Note.

Mmm, this would give:

Alt + pencil = preview note
Shift + pencil = delete note

I'm not sure if there exists any logic/standard about modifier keys?

As we could also do:

Control + pencil = preview note
Alt + pencil = delete note

What do you guys think?

hm, if there' one thing I miss it's simply selecting one or more notes and hitting 'delete' on my keyboard...

Marco :)

muzycian wrote:As we could also do:

Control + pencil = preview note
Alt + pencil = delete note

What do you guys think?
This seems to me a better choice -- I think of Ctrl and Alt as the primary modifier keys.
Last edited by vervex on Tue May 09, 2006 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Jo,
Sure, I'm looking forward to PR2. I don't really have any preference as to which modifier key does what.Maybe there are some conventions among the other piano rolls but I don't know what they are.
Thanks again for your attentions to my thoughts, even when you don't always agree. I really honestly promise not to bring up the delete-on-click anymore. :)

I finally got a copy of CM99 and I'm really looking forward to the promised tutorial series on CMusic.

I own FLStudio and Luna, my favorite piano-roll is the FLStudio's roll, described here.

This is, in my opinion, the best roll. But I understand that you want to do as your mind. Just to compare and give you more ideas.

DELETED

Very good idea !

What's most wanted: a user-definable hotkey system or e.g. an integrated sampler/synth?

Anyway, this question will be answered after the 1.0 release, as there will come a Feature Poll :)

Bonteburg wrote:hm, if there' one thing I miss it's simply selecting one or more notes and hitting 'delete' on my keyboard...

Marco :)
That should work!

I just tested it in both the OSX and Windows version, and it works on both platforms.

Doesn't it work on your system?

Note: Use Delete not Backspace.

Return to “MUTOOLS”