LUNA PreRelease 3

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Jo,
PR3 looks really good. Hope things are going well with the new house! Sounds like a lot of work. I certainly understand how that can take over everything.

Before I forget, I was playing around with it and I have a request and a few questions:

1. It would really be great if there was some easy way to disambiguate between multiple instances of the same VSTi (even if it's just SR202(1), SR202(2), though ideally it would use the preset name or something).

2. Is there a way to bypass an effect on the mixer strip without removing it entirely? It seems like it would be very nice to be able to do before/after type comparisons.

3. Did something change with respect to the key-mapping for copying notes? Now it's alt-click instead of ctrl-click?

4. I still wonder if there's a more intuitive name than "duplicate" for the action that is currently called that. Maybe "make independent copy"? Probably an independent copy should default to a different color than the original. As it stands now, there is no easy default visual way to tell whether you did the thing you expected, and you might edit away at what you think is a "duplicate" only to find that you destroyed the original because you forgot to do "duplicate".

Thanks!

charming little program so far..
don't like the fonts though. Feels like your flipping pages in a childs text book
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:charming little program so far..
don't like the fonts though. Feels like your flipping pages in a childs text book
----
Reaper.. with a GUI this good who needs cat puke!!
I'd suggest you do a skin... except for your sig! :)

can't promise anything but I might give it a go one day :)

I installed this on my intel based iMac at home and it crashes every time I try to create a new instrument (doesn't matter which one, Twin, Albino, etc..)

I'm on the latest osx 1.4.something and I'm using a Saffire LE

Hi Jo,
I've been playing with Luna PR3 and I've had some problems with VSTi's. In particular, while Crystal (2.4.8.0) plays beautifully, Luna isn't able to properly save the parameters. Yes, the Crystal patch browser can be confusing, but that's not the problem. Everytime I restart the Luna sequencer at the beginning, the patch is reset on Crystal. Same thing happens upon save and reload of a session. It's as if Luna isn't picking up the patch info from Crystal at all. Crystal also won't mix down...I get zero signal in the wave. And yes, sfz works fine.

I hear your pain about the house - I did the same thing myself and it was hell. The time pressure is the killer.

Cheers - Oldguy.

oldguy wrote:Hi Jo,
I've been playing with Luna PR3 and I've had some problems with VSTi's. In particular, while Crystal (2.4.8.0) plays beautifully, Luna isn't able to properly save the parameters. Yes, the Crystal patch browser can be confusing, but that's not the problem. Everytime I restart the Luna sequencer at the beginning, the patch is reset on Crystal. Same thing happens upon save and reload of a session. It's as if Luna isn't picking up the patch info from Crystal at all. Crystal also won't mix down...I get zero signal in the wave. And yes, sfz works fine.

I hear your pain about the house - I did the same thing myself and it was hell. The time pressure is the killer.

Cheers - Oldguy.
Yep, the time pressure is a killer indeed.

I'm still alive though :wink:

It's a though renovation. In fact, everything, except the core walls and the roof, thus including all floors are destructed and reconstructed.

The works are progressing though.

Still need a couple of weeks to finish this phase, and get the house ready for the winter.

I'll keep you up to date, and will dig into all questions asap!

Regarding mixdown with Crystal: pljones reported a similar thing with Kontakt, so there does seem to be an issue somewhere. Will be researched!

Here's a request - should very simple.

When displaying the preset name for a plugin, also display the preset number.

The preset number corresponds to the patch and can be set with a Program Change command from a midi device. In many VSTi's that I have encountered, the preset number is not included in the name, so one must count through the presets in order to determine the 'patch' number that needs to be sent to be used. This is time consuming when trying different presets by sending midi Program Change commands or having to modify the sequence to insert the Program Change preset number (especially when it is not known until you count it out).

Do all VSTi's respect MIDI program change to change patch number?

In my experience, most respond to program changes. Of course every VSTi has been created for a specific purpose and therefore are all different and developed by 1000's of developers. So you can't count on it. If I had to guess I would say that over 80% of the latest VSTi's do respond to patch changes.

It would also be nice if the developers also placed the ability for all of their controls to respond to controllers or to place a MIDI LEARN Feature in their modules, but few go this level of development.

Bug report for LUNA FREE:

When opening a session file, LUNA first reads it in the background, parrallel to the current session.

This makes that the number of mixer strips used in the current session, and the number of mixer strips used in the session being opened, are summed.

And because LUNA FREE is limited to 8 mixer strips, this can cause a conflict, resulting in a "Couldn't open session" message.

Of course this is a bug, and it will be fixed in LUNA PR4.

jpumphandle wrote:Here's a request - should very simple.

When displaying the preset name for a plugin, also display the preset number.

The preset number corresponds to the patch and can be set with a Program Change command from a midi device. In many VSTi's that I have encountered, the preset number is not included in the name, so one must count through the presets in order to determine the 'patch' number that needs to be sent to be used. This is time consuming when trying different presets by sending midi Program Change commands or having to modify the sequence to insert the Program Change preset number (especially when it is not known until you count it out).
Added to the LUNA Whish List.

Edit: Should be a per VST plugin preference, as some plugs already include this number in the name, which would result in a double number.

fycfung wrote:1. It would really be great if there was some easy way to disambiguate between multiple instances of the same VSTi (even if it's just SR202(1), SR202(2), though ideally it would use the preset name or something).
I agree this would be useful, but would prefer to letter the instances so that it's easy to tell what's an instance and what's a channel. In CMuzys, you get things like DS4040[1][1], and if the numbers were low I was never sure which was the channel number and which was the copy number.

DaveL

Also added to the LUNA Whish List.

muzycian wrote:
oldguy wrote:Hi Jo,

Cheers - Oldguy.
Regarding mixdown with Crystal: pljones reported a similar thing with Kontakt, so there does seem to be an issue somewhere. Will be researched!
I've been jamming with Kontakt 2 and Crystal and did some mixdowns with them, and everything was fine. Including when saving and re-opening the session, Crystal played the right sound.

So up to now i could not recreate the reported issues :?

One note in this context (but i'm sure you know that): When mixing down, only the selected parts are mixed down. If no parts are selected, then everything is mixed down :)

Return to “MUTOOLS”