luna pr 8.4

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Euh, in fact you can do the same with the song composer, but you just have to make sure that the cycle matches the smallest common multiple of the sequence loops.

OR

By setting no cycle in the song composer and make all parts VERY long (cfr m's "Play For Ever" (which might be remade))

:) So many great things on the way, I can't wait!

I just started playing with 8.4. I tried to load up Dominator and I couldn't find the place where you change the presets (it used to be under the VST plugin's GUI). Then I tried to load up Wusikstation and it crashed. I haven't tried to reproduce it.

To choose the plugin presets: Right-click the plugin and "Choose Program".

Concerning WusikStation: Which version?

Thanks for the clarification. I was using Wusikstation CM. I'm not sure that's when it crashed, though; I was doing a couple of things in close succession and it might have been something else. Sorry that I do not have a more precise recollection at the moment.

A question on memory handling.

I use Kontakt2 with some pretty heafty memory requirements. If I switch from one project to another, I almost always get a complaint from K2 that it can't allocate memory and has shut down its audio engine. However, if I switch from a K2 project to a completely blank project first, it's okay. This indicates to me that LUNA isn't managing memory as well as it could. (That is, switching projects should always go through that "switch to blank project" state that seems necessary to free up memory.)

(For "project", please read "MuSession" ;))

(Oh, and the Window Z-order bug is still irritating... I still forget the first couple of times...)

Separately... I know importing a MIDI file creates a new composition within a MuSession -- but there's still no way to do that "by hand", as it were. Yesterday I could have done with it for the first time. Any idea when it'll be added to the right-click menu or File menu?

pljones wrote:A question on memory handling.

I use Kontakt2 with some pretty heafty memory requirements. If I switch from one project to another, I almost always get a complaint from K2 that it can't allocate memory and has shut down its audio engine. However, if I switch from a K2 project to a completely blank project first, it's okay. This indicates to me that LUNA isn't managing memory as well as it could. (That is, switching projects should always go through that "switch to blank project" state that seems necessary to free up memory.)
Indeed, LUNA first loads the new session in the background, then, when it's properly loaded, LUNA switches to the loaded session, and then deletes the previous session.

This way, you have a more "instant" switch from 1 to another session.

Does everyone prefer: on open session:

-> close the current session
-> open the new session
-> if open should fail, we stay with a blank session

then i'll adapt LUNA.
Do you prefer the term Project above Session?
(Oh, and the Window Z-order bug is still irritating... I still forget the first couple of times...)
Yes, i know, i still suffer from it myself too. Sorry that it's not yet in an updated version. But it will be improved in the next version!

(also apologies for the version management lately. there should have been a small update allready with this and some other 'small' improvements. but things esclated in the lab, and a more bigger update is on it's way. absurdly that should be called pre-release 9 beta, as quite some things changed, also internally, and so it needs a good test round. "pre-release beta" :oops: shame on me)

pljones wrote:Separately... I know importing a MIDI file creates a new composition within a MuSession -- but there's still no way to do that "by hand", as it were. Yesterday I could have done with it for the first time. Any idea when it'll be added to the right-click menu or File menu?
What do you mean "by hand"?

muzycian wrote:
Do you prefer the term Project above Session?
No, I just had typed "project" several times before I realised and was too lazy to go back and change, "project" being the generic for "a piece of work". I felt I needed to make it clear, though, I was talking about loading the .MuSession files, hence the comment. :)
(also apologies for the version management lately. there should have been a small update allready with this and some other 'small' improvements. but
Tsk! :uhuhuh:
things esclated in the lab, and a more bigger update is on it's way. absurdly that should be called pre-release 9 beta, as quite some things changed, also internally, and so it needs a good test round. "pre-release beta" :oops: shame on me)
:roll: :wink:
muzycian wrote:
pljones wrote:Separately... I know importing a MIDI file creates a new composition within a MuSession -- but there's still no way to do that "by hand", as it were. Yesterday I could have done with it for the first time. Any idea when it'll be added to the right-click menu or File menu?
What do you mean "by hand"?
There doesn't appear to be a way to create a new composition within a MuSession file except by importing a .MID file. Nothing on the menus, as far as I've been able to find. There's "Select Next Composition" (but that just complains "you've only got one") and "Delete Composition" but no "Create New Composition".

Ok, i understand now. Will be added.

muzycian wrote:Indeed, LUNA first loads the new session in the background, then, when it's properly loaded, LUNA switches to the loaded session, and then deletes the previous session.

This way, you have a more "instant" switch from 1 to another session.

Does everyone prefer: on open session:

-> close the current session
-> open the new session
-> if open should fail, we stay with a blank session

then i'll adapt LUNA.
Seems like a configuration option to me:
MuSession Management
- Fast Switch (requires more memory)
- Regular Switch (requires less memory)

For myself, I'd probably always go for regular switch, but if someone was using LUNA in a performance situation, their preference would probably be different. :)

DaveL
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

I'm not convinced a preference is the right solution here.

The less preferences the better, imo. Only the ones that are really necessary should be there. Because you quickly get a preference-mess if you add a pref for every thing.

Regarding this aspect: now you know what to do if you get a memory error when switching big sessions: First do "New Session", then "Open Session".

For now, i think that's a good solution.

Itmay be a more pro-trick.

But having such preference would be just as pro-tricky as this.

So i prefer the "less is more" option.

Hope you agree.

Mmm, now. "Fast switch": it's only going to be significantly faster when resources are already heavily used? In light-weight sessions, the difference between "fast" and "regular" should be low. I'd say go with "regular" unless it's really, really slow compared to "fast" in the majority of cases.

Let's put it this way. I've 2Gb of RAM. LUNA uses hardly any of it. If switching between two 256Mb sessions takes longer than loading LUNA and one of the sessions, it's bad. If it's faster, it's fine. Making it faster still, I don't think is required. Especially if it stops me switching between two 800Mb sessions.

I'm (probably) getting a Mac Mini tomorrow - I'm going to try and find out if the weird hanging note/vst only bug is still there!

Marco :D

Return to “MUTOOLS”