Luna on Mac for a beginner musician

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm a long time Windows user, but a friend of mine would like to give a go in making electronic music (jungle, psy, that kind of stuff). I was first thinking of setting Reason on her system, but it's not available for Mac :/

But Luna seems just great.

SO I'm completely helpless with this MAC thing... I guess Luna for Mac does not run VSTs? But there's comparable free plugins for Mac too, yes?
I was thinking of buying one issue of Computer Musician for her since it's got the beefed up version of Luna, but is there also some plugins to get going on the cover DVD for Mac?

The thing is, the solution has to be cheap, or even better, free at least in the start :)

I don't now remember which operating system she has, but the Mac is one of those new ones with an Intel processor...

Reason is available for mac.

If it's an Intel processor, she's running OS X for sure, so you need compatible software (typically labeled "universal binary", I think). Get the issue of CM, just to get the plugs they offer; some of the older ones won't run on that system, tho, because they only work with OS 9, but at the very least there's one new synth that's definitely both PC and Mac, and looks terrific.

CMusic 1.5 vs LUNA pr 8.4 is something of a toss-up: CMusic offers support for multi-channel VSTis, which with LUNA you have to pay for the unlimited version to get; OTOH, there have been many advancements in the program since the CMusic version was branched off. If she's just getting started, I think I'd go with LUNA Free to start just because it really is a better program; if she likes it, the $40 for Unlimited strikes me as pretty darn cheap. That and an issue of CM will set you back <$60. Also, if you can find a copy of the recent CM special on free software, there's a whole bunch of reviewed and recommended goodies for another <$20. That collection should keep her going for a very long time.

I can't speak to plug-in formats on the Mac; sorry. I'm as lost as you are! :)

DaveL
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

Oh Reason is? Wow, I think that the KVR query for Mac sequencer didn't bring it up.

Well, I might anyway go get some recent issue of CM from the library :) It seems there's a lot of useful stuff on the DVD...

Well, I've been using the OSX VSTs from the Computer Music disks without problems on Luna Free.

Maybe just download Luna Free to try out?
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.12.6

Check the link here
http://johnnypumphandle.com/johnny/tutor/tutor.htm

Although this looks at both MAC and PC, you may find some hints to help on the MAC

Return to “MUTOOLS”