what is the typical use of sub-tracks ?

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Eggu wrote:.. are there some examples ?
and
robenestobenz wrote:Handy for automation, IMO. ...
Just to return to the original question, about "typical uses for subtracks" (although I'm also enjoying the discussion about automation tracks, etc !).

I haven't experimented much with subtracks.

Having a little play (or rather a fumble in the dark), suggests that I might also find them useful for reducing possible clutter caused by groups of tracks, as per this little example:

The STRINGS track is empty, but it contains 4 subtracks, ie Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass - which are hidden away until I click the 'expand' button at the left of the track.

Collapsed view:

The expanded view shows the 4 tracks with - in this instance - the Cello independently muted (since muting the parent strings track will mute all of the subtracks, as it should do. Hence, I left it blank).

Sorry if this is already common knowledge to other users, but I'm still not sure whether we've had an answer to the original question !?

I'll play around some more.

Les J.
Last edited by Improviser on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taron wrote:I must tell you though, if you look at one of the songs I've got up, like "taron-cheese.MuSession", for example.
Where can i find it?

I think the way Jo has it now as a base for future development is indeed excellent.

I feel Taron is missing some feature that are in Reason or Reaper and I understand that :( , but if you get some more time to get into the Mu-Groove way of working you'll see where Jo is leading to.

I wish I could hack Jo's head to find out what he has in mind because even though we have "lot of good ideas" his vision, and implementation of our wishes, is what makes this DAW so great.

SubTrack are great for collecting Parameters lines or Drums or Strings sections etc. What I am thinking of is the ability to have the subtracks targeting a Track which is connected to a SubMixer and then sent to the Master, or maybe there is a way to do so already....

I am busy transferring stuff into MuLab and I had no chance to dig it yet!
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Taron wrote:Instead it's its own sequence even. I would want to merge it with the note sequence, but I wouldn't even know how... tried it, actually.
You can merge 'em. Just select the parts, right click on the background grid and select merge from the context menu.

I forgot to add:
If a Parent Track could be independently resided to the minimum size would make it more like a real folder like function.

mutools wrote: Where can i find it?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=284303
Here are all my tracks I put up... I always update the first post in it. :)

robenestobenz wrote:You can merge 'em. Just select the parts, right click on the background grid and select merge from the context menu.
AH...I right clicked ON the sequences and it didn't bring up merge, haha... alrighty, thank you!

janamdo wrote:To have a oversight of the composition when it gets complicated..as example from tracktion
This DAW looks like MUlab with the racks
Give a folder( grouping..how do you call..) for a instrument and use subtracks for automating..problem solved :)

As soon as possible must MUlab chance the current trackmanagement : see my thread about this and the picture
:)
Last edited by janamdo on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taron wrote:Normally I would assume this should then automatically become a subtrack that can be hidden. Instead it's its own sequence even. I would want to merge it with the note sequence, but I wouldn't even know how...
You can't 'merge' it as a sequence because it's about two different target modules!

But solution is equally simple: Drag the padmod track onto the Rack A track above it while holding [Alt], as this will drop the track as a subtrack.

Normally you can move tracks up/down without [Alt], but if you want to drop it as a subtrack, hold [Alt] then.

liquidsound wrote:I forgot to add:
If a Parent Track could be independently resided to the minimum size would make it more like a real folder like function.
Yes, that's true. It's on the wishlist. (oh man, that 'whish' typo is deep in my habbits, pfew, i almost whished again)

liquidsound wrote:SubTrack are great for collecting Parameters lines or Drums or Strings sections etc. What I am thinking of is the ability to have the subtracks targeting a Track which is connected to a SubMixer and then sent to the Master, or maybe there is a way to do so already....
Sure:

If a subtrack has no target, it takes the target of its parent.
If that parent track targets a rack, the subtrack will target that rack too.
That's what you want, right?

janamdo wrote:
janamdo wrote:To have a oversight of the composition when it gets complicated..as example from tracktion
This DAW looks like MUlab with the racks
Give a folder( grouping..how do you call..) for a instrument and use subtracks for automating..problem solved :)

As soon as possible must MUlab chance the current trackmanagement : see my thread about this and the picture
:)
I don't see the difference with how it is now.

mutools wrote:
liquidsound wrote:I forgot to add:
Yes, that's true. It's on the wishlist. (oh man, that 'whish' typo is deep in my habbits, pfew, i almost whished again)
Your WISHLIST (Wish List) IT'S CORRECT ENGLISH, I don't understand where I've got WHISHLIST! :shrug:

Don't remember who pointed it out to me.

mutools wrote:
liquidsound wrote:SubTrack are great for collecting Parameters lines or Drums or Strings sections etc. What I am thinking of is the ability to have the subtracks targeting a Track which is connected to a SubMixer and then sent to the Master, or maybe there is a way to do so already....
Sure:

If a subtrack has no target, it takes the target of its parent.
If that parent track targets a rack, the subtrack will target that rack too.
That's what you want, right?
Halfway.
I was thinking of a sub-mixer targeted by the parent track independent from the Racks with its own processes etc. great for assemblies (Drums, Strings etc.) and then sent to the Master. This would save space in the Racks and accurate pre-control of these before sent to the rest of the Mix.

But again, too many WISHes! :D

I think it's all there: just use a separate rack for that parent track, then route that rack to a Master rack.

If your concern is about avoiding overpopulation of the rack desk, then note that there is a wishlist item about being able to create rack groups, so e.g. rack A, C and D belong to the "Drum Racks" group, for example.

Then on the Rack Desk you can select a group to be shown, the other racks are hidden. Of course you will be able to also "Show All".

Return to “MUTOOLS”