Chord/Scale Request in the Piano Roll and the MU.LAB Loop System

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Request for a scale/chord filter that could be applied to the piano roll, so if I could get some more milage out of my piano roll attempts. As the example below illustrates, a scale filter for a step sequencer [piano roll] can have nice results.

http://www.rozzer.net/wp/?p=319

[from the webpage above].....The other unique thing about this is that it's designed to work solely within musical scales. The sequencer 'grid' adapts itself to whatever scale you choose. Choose a chromatic scale, and you get a full 12 steps to play with, but choose a pentatonic scale and the grid automatically adapts itself to show only 5 rows. You don't need to know any music theory to get great results.

Regards, James
Last edited by sunhome on Wed May 05, 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

That's a "slam whatever on your keyboard and the plugin will make out some sort of music" thing.
Not a big fan myself of those "cheating" tools, not to say that the main feature of Mu.Lab is freedom and that would cut from the freedom choice of what notes you play...

Well, let's see the "official" answer.

Look there are some real highend tools that tackle these type of problems see Cognitone Harmony Navigator/ Synfire have a look /// http://www.cognitone.com/products/index/page.stml /// so as you can see for yourself there is a need and even a market for some to solve these type of issues.

Regards, James

I'm not saying there is no market for it.
I'm saying that, as a concept, it's quite a silly option and keeping in mind the concept of freedom in Mu.Lab, this kind of go against...

But I might be wrong.
Also, I think I've seen a free plugin doing that:
Tonmeister
And some other "cheaters" :lol:
ChordworX
Custom MIDI Auto-Harmonizer

What does it for me are Presets. Get some interesting ones and begin to use an arpeggiator or a simple sequencer or just loop it in the host at different speeds. Add some delays, Phaser etc.
That can be brainstorming and unusual melodies begin to surf....

I was amazed by the Xils3 simple (but high quality) sounds driven by its sequencer. I got lost in it for awhile...

One thing about MuLab his the flexibility of the loop system.
Any length and in the main sequencer and in the parts running independently from the main one. Cool stuff.
Then you can just apply a control parameter from a different track and while your loop is playing move that Parameter part back and forth (no grid) to effect your loop dynamically.

You can go wild here.
All in MuLab! :D
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound - could you explain again the mulab loopsystem a little more, please ?

I posted this because you're input about MUX has led me to re-consider MULAB :)

Nielzie also recommended MULAB to me earlier but I didn't get that far ...

With the technique you mentioned above, I would like to get that working so any more you can add would be appreciated.

Regards, James

sunhome wrote:liquidsound - could you explain again the mulab loopsystem a little more, please ?

I posted this because you're input about MUX has led me to re-consider MULAB :)

Nielzie also recommended MULAB to me earlier but I didn't get that far ...

With the technique you mentioned above, I would like to get that working so any more you can add would be appreciated.

Regards, James
I will try my best. I am not a power user yet as some other here in the forum but I play a lot with All the Daws out there to learn from every angle.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt and ask question to other members as well. I do make mistakes. (poor me :cry: )
Also the Docs are pretty much comprehensive, not so extensive yet, but to the point.
http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/composer.html
and
http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/sequence-editor.html

The main window in M3 is the Composer where you see your entire composition ( hence, the Composer..).
Here, as any other Daw, you set the song loop.

Those colored rectangular components are called in Mu.Lab Sequencer Parts (Clips,etc.).
Inside each Part you have the luxury of an additional loop.

When you set the Sequencer Part's loop, those notes trapped between the Start and End locators (we are talking now about the internal Parts Locators, not the main Song) are repeated until the end of the Part ( 1 bar, 2bars etc.) or the end of the Main Song Loop, which ever comes first.

Also, the switch for On/Off loop works only for the main Song loop.
The part's internal loop always work. It can't be turned off. You have to delete it, manually.

It's very similar to a Shared copy (Ghost copy in other Daws) one after the other but with more control over some adjustments as you will discover by trying things around.

It is not so easy to explain it in a very short way without getting repetitive with terms.

There is more to this. Let me know if you need more light on some of the steps.

Here is a good example: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/demo-sessions/freeway.zip

This is a Mu.Lab session Mark is using this loop method in his Bass track in the Sequencer Parts "Bass2(1)".
As you can see in the first Bass2(1) part, he's using the internal loop to repeat the pattern, instead of just a shorter Shared copy, in order to chop it of at the end so he can insert a different movement and then go back to the next Bass2(1) Shared copy. (BTW he's doing much more than just this but it gets more complicated to explain in one post).

(He can also do the same with one Shared copy containing just that pattern and then just shorten one copy in order to mute the rest of the notes. It's getting too confusing but I need to add this in order to make you understand that there are many ways in Mu.Lab to do one thing. You can skip this for now).

In this way you can control individual Shared copies without effecting the others especially with Part Start.
In other Daws if you try to effect a Ghost, all the other follows.
Well, here too, but with this trick you can maneuver.

It is a little overwhelming to read this because of the similarity with other sequencers but with a twist.

As you will read from Mu.Lab docs, this is not the only reason to use loops and Jo explains it in the Docs.
I used this example because is not written in the Docs, yet :wink: . Jo can not possibly write every possible way of using his program. Each one of us can help with this.
Mu.Lab looks simple, and in a way it is, but it can go as deep as you need to, and more is coming as we speak. Jo sleeps when he blinks with his eyes.
He never stops! :hihi:

Sorry for not being more clear or simple but it will be more easier with more specific questions.
In this Mu-Forum there are very clever and experienced users with powerful techniques to learn from.

Keep you eyes open and ask question.

Always :D

BTW the MUX is an incredible tool and I am glad you did consider coming back here. It is really amazing how Mu.Lab system is going to impact your music in a new empowering way. I am exited as well.

So welcome back! :D

sorohanro wrote:That's a "slam whatever on your keyboard and the plugin will make out some sort of music" thing.
Not a big fan myself of those "cheating" tools, not to say that the main feature of Mu.Lab is freedom and that would cut from the freedom choice of what notes you play...

Well, let's see the "official" answer.
I suggested earlier to Jo(Mulab) to give to opportunity to use MIDI plug in's in MUlab.
Why not ..the less skilled aspirant composer can use it to learn from it.
Last edited by janamdo on Wed May 05, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

janamdo wrote:I suggested earlier to Jo(Mulab) to give to opportunity to use MIDI plug in's in MUlab.
MIDI plugs are supported. Well, that is VST MIDI plugs. Maybe you mean the MFX etc?

mutools wrote:
janamdo wrote:I suggested earlier to Jo(Mulab) to give to opportunity to use MIDI plug in's in MUlab.
MIDI plugs are supported. Well, that is VST MIDI plugs. Maybe you mean the MFX etc?
Yes, but it is only for Windows: see http://www.midiplugins.com/default.aspx

liquidsound wrote:
sunhome wrote:liquidsound - could you explain again the mulab loopsystem a little more, please ?
It is not so easy to analyse this example by liquidsound..better is to come upwith a own example :D where you start with a let's say a baspattern and try to build up this step by step and explaining all

There is slip-editing and working with loops(shared copies of) and looping.

janamdo wrote:
mutools wrote:
Yes, but it is only for Windows: see http://www.midiplugins.com/default.aspx
FYI: Support for MFX is not planned.

mutools wrote:FYI: Support for MFX is not planned.
For i would rather invest that amount of dev time in creating more MIDI modules in MU.LAB itself. That would be a better investment, imho.

janamdo wrote:
liquidsound wrote:
It is not so easy to analyse this example by liquidsound..better is to come upwith a own example :D where you start with a let's say a baspattern and try to build up this step by step and explaining all
That's for sure! But I can't do that at the moment. You could help...
:wink:

BTW which example you are talking about?

mutools wrote:
mutools wrote:FYI: Support for MFX is not planned.
For i would rather invest that amount of dev time in creating more MIDI modules in MU.LAB itself. That would be a better investment, imho.
Well i thought, it takes not that much of time for the implementation of such MFX plugin ? it is not developing..only connecting (still complicated maybe?)
There are probably some interesting among them to have in MUlab and can serve a idea for module in Mulab itself.

Time it is only the limiting factor ?

Return to “MUTOOLS”