MuLab multisampler supports ogg. Surprised this hasn't attracted attention.

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I meant to write about this when I discovered it a few months ago, so since I'm here, I'll mention it now.

Very, very nice that the multisampler can use ogg files. I posted on KVR about two years ago about a way to do this, and was told by several people that it was simply impossible--the time required to decompress the file would cause a delay, making the format useless for multisamples. But MuLab just does it. Sweet, to the say the least. Could open the door for large, many-layered multisamples that take up very little space.

Jake Jackson wrote:I meant to write about this when I discovered it a few months ago, so since I'm here, I'll mention it now.

Very, very nice that the multisampler can use ogg files. I posted on KVR about two years ago about a way to do this, and was told by several people that it was simply impossible--the time required to decompress the file would cause a delay, making the format useless for multisamples. But MuLab just does it. Sweet, to the say the least. Could open the door for large, many-layered multisamples that take up very little space.
ogg ?! :o :-o :shock: I was not aware of it! Thanks Jake and thanks Jo for this!
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Wait... don't tell me you didn't know :lol:

It was a big discussion over the soundfont format support in Mu.Lab.
I was on the 24 bit wav files side, defending my sample packs... was quite a big topic...

sorohanro wrote:Wait... don't tell me you didn't know :lol:

I was on the 24 bit wav files side, defending my sample packs... was quite a big topic...
:oops: :oops: :oops: I am not into Audio much yet....
I told my almost wife :hug: if she could sing some of her award winning poetry but.... as usual:
I don't have a good voice! :smack:

Here it goes my Audio interest... :shrug:

liquidsound wrote: :oops: :oops: :oops: I am not into Audio much yet....
I told my almost wife :hug: if she could sing some of her award winning poetry but.... as usual:

funny story.. :D
it happens to me too..

so here we are...playing with keys and midi..
:P

liquidsound wrote:ogg ?! :o :-o :shock: I was not aware of it! Thanks Jake and thanks Jo for this!
Despite efforts to make ogg more visible, it still runs well behind mp3 and flac and maybe just ahead of ape in terms of file compression popularity.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

eduardo_b wrote:
liquidsound wrote:ogg ?! :o :-o :shock: I was not aware of it! Thanks Jake and thanks Jo for this!
Despite efforts to make ogg more visible, it still runs well behind mp3 and flac and maybe just ahead of ape in terms of file compression popularity.
And ogg is so much better than mp3 IMO.... :shrug:
(unless I used a bad encoder)

liquidsound wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:
Not sure I'd agree with that, but then I find mp3 files with sufficient bit rates to be quite good...with a quality encoder, as you say.

eduardo_b wrote:
liquidsound wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:
Not sure I'd agree with that, but then I find mp3 files with sufficient bit rates to be quite good...with a quality encoder, as you say.
I will experiment more.
It's important. Thanks. :)

liquidsound wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:
liquidsound wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:
I will experiment more.
The other thing is simply the vast number of apps that readily handle mp3 but not ogg. This has come up in threads as a limiting factor for ogg despite its excellent audio qualities.

eduardo_b wrote:
liquidsound wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:
liquidsound wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:
I will experiment more.
The other thing is simply the vast number of apps that readily handle mp3 but not ogg. This has come up in threads as a limiting factor for ogg despite its excellent audio qualities.
Unless Mu.Lab can render as ogg!
Just kidding.
What you are saying is true but ogg will not go away. Hopefully thing will change. We need more of a critical mass and then... :-o it may!

But of course it's not a limiting factor, here, since Mulab lets the user create multisamples using ogg files. And Audacity can open and save ogg vorbis files, so all of the cropping and any looping and analysis and normalizing, etc could be done there to create the samples for the multisample layers. But you're probably just talking about the things that limit ogg's acceptance in general.

sorohanro wrote:Wait... don't tell me you didn't know :lol:

So Mu.Lab supports soundfont format???

Jake Jackson wrote:But you're probably just talking about the things that limit ogg's acceptance in general.
Yes, that's all I'm noting. Some audio editors have or have added support, but there have been threads with questions about why ogg is so poorly supported overall. There are ways around this, but they take time, effort and file management.

vinpizza wrote:
liquidsound wrote: :oops: :oops: :oops: I am not into Audio much yet....

funny story.. :D
it happens to me too..

so here we are...playing with keys and midi..
What bother me is that she play Classical Guitar and it could be perfect!
But...
vinpizza wrote:so here we are...playing with keys and midi..
:cry:

Return to “MUTOOLS”