Latency Issues when striking the keys

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am hearing a delay when striking a key. Besides the CPU power of my laptop being 1.73 GHz, are there any hardware buffer adjustments? I see the config files located under: User/Settings but I see nothing that would adjust the buffer.

Caps

What are your Audio system details?
- sound card
- driver type

MU.LAB supports MME (not real-time, so not suitable for playing live) and ASIO (which, when set up right, is usable live).

Not all ASIO drivers are created equal. Sometimes you're better of replacing your ASIO driver with ASIO4ALL. Sometimes even that can't solve the problem caused by a sound card that doesn't expect to be used for anything but system beeps and games.

I have both a Toshiba laptop and a HP Touchsmart and both have a slight delay. The Toshiba, being a older machine, CPU/1.7GHz is a little slower. Sometimes the Toshiba becomes more delayed, then upon a re-boot it is faster to fire up a key. So maybe some RAM leaking. Perhaps MU.Lab app after running many loops.

Where do I obtain those audio drivers you mentioned? Be nice if they were available on the MU.Lab site. The Toshiba has its own brand name audio card.

Caps

The latency happens on any quality computer, the built in sound cards that come with any computer aren't usable for low latency.

check out www.asio4all.com for a free fake-asio wrapper, it's not as stable as a real asio card. Any music store carries asio cards, they cost 40-200$ for usb, pci can run as low as $100.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I have obtained a Lexicon External USB interface that seems to be working much better. ref: http://www.lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=6

Thank you for your assistance, very helpful.

Caps

Yes, I'd hope the Lexicon would work better. The Toshiba might struggle with a 1.7GHz CPU as that's not "powerful" by any recent definition but if you don't ask too much of it (i.e. run too many synths and effects), it should be able to do basic sequencing and editing.

It would be impossible for the MU.LAB site to have links to the drivers for the hardware on users machines as there are simply too many different hardware suppliers.

Pljones,

Do you think having an excess of 1gig of ram helps overall performance while using Windows7. Seemed like overtime, the sync performance degraded after about an hour of continuous use. Rebooting the OS had significant positive impact on sync performance. Buffer overruns would degrade the sync quality. Will continue to test the config out using the external audio device.

Caps

On Windows 7, I would say you need 2GB RAM. Personally, I had to run at 2GB on XP as I'm a heavy sample user and am running 4GB on Win7x64. You will be able to run in 1GB but I wouldn't suggest it. Windows 7 eats RAM...

I am using my HP TouchSmart PC:
dual core 2GHz CPU,
4 gb RAM
64 bit Windows7

Audio interface: Lexicon Omega
Keyboard controller: Yamaha YPG-535

I am still getting latency with MU.Tools :(

Caps

Have you checked you're using the ASIO driver?

Hi Pljones,

I did not have the ASIO driver that is part of the Omega installed. Downloaded for W7 and now latency delays seems not to be an issue.

Thank you so much for your assistance. You have helped open my horizons for music creativity.

Caps

Return to “MUTOOLS”