Problems with modify length

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I have here a sequence with notes of different length and want them to "humanize" a bit...

Modify velocity with a random value of 20 works flawless, but modify length with random setting comes up with horrible results...

One bar of this sequence contains a sustained note with 3/4 length and one note with a 1/4 length...even a value of 0.1 of randomness ends up with notes of the double length or turns a 3/4 note into a 1/32...

Higher values are even worse...

How to use this correctly???

Trancit

Is it not possible to do something with the operators ?
Example: with limit and random you can combine operations on notelenght or timing

it should be maybe easier to have a preset humanize algorithm
Now than what are the characteristisc of a human midi note feel ?

Modify lenghts (note lenght)
Modify times (note timing)

Both uses as operator :
+ Add
% Percent
= Set
* Random
[] Limit

I understand that you like with one click of the mouse you get a humanizedmidi pattern :)
Last edited by janamdo on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, of course, that's, what I am trying to do...but with which values???

I used in my examples the * (Random) option in the "Modify length" function, but I didn't find a value, which worked correctly...

Trancit

Trancit wrote:Yes, of course, that's, what I am trying to do...but with which values???

I used in my examples the * (Random) option in the "Modify length" function, but I didn't find a value, which worked correctly...

Trancit
but you can give a range (limit) where the note lenghts must lay between
In this area you can randomnize

Trancit wrote:Hi there,

I have here a sequence with notes of different length and want them to "humanize" a bit...

Modify velocity with a random value of 20 works flawless, but modify length with random setting comes up with horrible results...

One bar of this sequence contains a sustained note with 3/4 length and one note with a 1/4 length...even a value of 0.1 of randomness ends up with notes of the double length or turns a 3/4 note into a 1/32...

Higher values are even worse...

How to use this correctly???

Trancit
Might be related to this: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... al#4252521.

Basically, format for time variation (and maybe length too) is bars.beats.ticks.

robenestobenz wrote:Might be related to this: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... al#4252521.

Basically, format for time variation (and maybe length too) is bars.beats.ticks.

Yes Mutools wrote : The time format = Bars.Beats.Ticks

So 0.000001 = 1 beat (the zeroes are irrelevant there)

If you want to randomize for e.g. 20 ticks, input 0.0.20

Hope this helps.

Question: what is the midi resolution for the sequenzer: how many ticks for a quarter note ( 960 ticks for a quarter note ..means 3840 ticks for a whole note )

Than 0.0.20 means that all notepositions(timing) on bars and beats will varied + or - ticks
Is this correct ?

janamdo wrote: Than 0.0.20 means that all notepositions(timing) on bars and beats will varied + or - ticks
Is this correct ?

I hope that this will be documentated in Mulab or else it is trial and error to find out how it works
Otherwise it useless functionality in Mulab

Yessss, thx very much, that was my problem...

And it's correct, it should be documented...alone, I would never have found the solution...

Trancit

I made also a test with two bars and 8 quarter notes
It works, but i do get also overlapping notes
That's impossible if you play a melody, so with random the note stays on his original length but his position chance

Maybe you can correct this by hand ?
Or can it be automated

in logic (sequenzer) there is a function for this
Functions > Note Events > Note Overlap Correction
But how about Mulab?

Maybe legato ...but than you get the original noteposition back?
Yes Legato removes overlapping notes, but there are no gaps anaymore ?

The MU.LAB docs have been updated: Added info about the music positions/lengths format i.e. Bars.Beats.Ticks

See this doc page = http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/gui-info.html

Return to “MUTOOLS”