mastering

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i am thinking of getting a mastering suite, but have no clue where to start. budget is an issue (sensible home use). any suggestions?? i am all 'in-box' for electronic music and want to be able to better position different instuments in frequency ranges

thanks
wee have also sound-houses

The Kob wrote:i am thinking of getting a mastering suite, but have no clue where to start. budget is an issue (sensible home use). any suggestions?? i am all 'in-box' for electronic music and want to be able to better position different instuments in frequency ranges

thanks
You'd probably get more responses in the effects forum, but the two all in one suites I've heard mentioned most are IK's T-Racks and Izotope's Ozone. Don't have either myself, but they're supposed to be good. They've both got demos available, so you could give em a whirl and see which one works for you.

Both can be had for under £150 each for Windows. Dunno what your budget's like, but I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find cheaper alternatives.

I've only begun using real mastering tools, so I apologize in advance if my advice isn't meaningful.

What DAW are you running? The last few versions of SONAR have great mastering tools included in the Producer version. I've been totally digging that. Though I suspect you've already investigated the high end of your DAW of choice.

I'll admit to being a bit green with mastering software, but I've learned that having everything integrated like in SONAR is great if you need to go back and alter anything pre-mastering while in the middle of mastering. Though I'm sure no matter what mastering tools you use, you'll probably have both your DAW and the tools open at the same time anyway.

Try the PSP stuff as well.It's very good :wink:
Especially PSP Mixpack 2
http://www.pspaudioware.com/

The Kob wrote:i want to be able to better position different instuments in frequency ranges
You are talking about mixing, not mastering, more specifically about eq-ing.
You just need for that some good eq's. There are several good that are freeware, but that is a discussion which is not meant for specifically MUTOOLS forum (where is posted at this moment).

The Ozone's got a great eq, too. So I highly recommend it for both mixing and mastering.

hi
i am asking here as i use Mutools and trust the Mu-ers not to get too complicated.

thanks for your replies and i'll go and do some research

ttfn
Phil
wee have also sound-houses

I can tell you what is usually on my master bus:
1 - EQ can be 10EQ or Audiocation AQ1
2 - QuikQuak Up Stereo a stereo enhancer and exciter
3 - Limiter , Kjaerhus Master Kimiter or LoudMax
4 - Reverb, just a little bit to "glue" the mix, I usually put Glaceverb but sometimes I put others.
Those are just my current choices, some might disagree with my approach. It was a time when I used T-Sledge VST or Buzmaxi3 as limiters and Kjaerhus Classic Eq.

Return to “MUTOOLS”