Making MuLab More Obvious & Easy

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DHR53 wrote:50 years? For field work and service businesses, tablets are already replacing laptops... I'm planning that a lot of my work in the future will be converting printed material and pdfs to epub. Laptops are already old tech...
So for recording meter readings and reading manuals, you can now use a tablet. Not particularly demanding applications... Given that recording meter readings used to be done by pen and ink up until electronics got down to that size of portability, as did reading manual... Of course, field service engineers are happy (a) they don't have to type up all those readings (oh, out of jobs go all the data entry clerks) and (b) don't have to lug around a case of different manuals.

Writing books, something that's done by fewer people, of course, took advantage of technology way before it got down to portable size, because writing books doesn't need portability.

sl23 wrote:how can you improve on that? You can't
More polygons

More colors

Higher frame rate

Etc...

Things can always advance
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

I'm genuinely curious actually, not being a pro or anything, someone mentioned having 64GB RAM, is that really ALL used? Why so much? Do you use Extremely high quality samples for all your productions? It always puzzled me on why so. Most people are happy just hearing music whether at a nightclub or on the radio. There aren't many serious audiophiles in comparison are there?

So is that much RAM actually warranted? I mean I'd be happy with 8GB! But just to be sure I don't run out I'd like to have 16GB. But no laptops can have that much at the moment I don't think. I was thinking going desktop but I like portability too much. Perhaps just for indoors?

Kontakt, VSL, PLAY, etc. can eat RAM like nothing if you're doing orchestral compositions. Sometimes to the point that you farm out to several desktops instead of just one.

And YES of course desktops are just for indoors. Portability is not a factor for them, they don't need it. They play the "we're the most powerful and we're always going to be the most powerful" card.

dakkra wrote:
sl23 wrote:how can you improve on that? You can't
More polygons

More colors

Higher frame rate

Etc...

Things can always advance
You really don't see what I'm saying do you? Please don't take that the wrong way, I'm not having a go.

But seriously, imagine when all that is maxed out to produce 'ENOUGH' polygons, colours, frames, etc... then what? The same will apply to PC's they will get so powerful that it makes no sense to keep making it more so.

When graphics are at a level that is so utterly realistic and is the norm for a console, what then? I know that's probably a way off, but Idk, maybe not as far as we think?

EvilDragon wrote:Kontakt, VSL, PLAY, etc. can eat RAM like nothing if you're doing orchestral compositions. Sometimes to the point that you farm out to several desktops instead of just one.

And YES of course desktops are just for indoors. Portability is not a factor for them, they don't need it. They play the "we're the most powerful and we're always going to be the most powerful" card.
Ok, never thought about orchestral! ;-)

Obviously for indoors but even indoors I prefer using something that can be moved. If I'm on my PC I can't go in the next room and carry on with headphones can I? I'd have to copy project to USB turn off PC, turn on laptop import project, and then... Oh shit! Where was I!

There are laptops with 16 gb of ram. Look at alienware or system 76

I suppose it makes sense that there really is no need to improve graphics
My Setup.

sl23 wrote:Obviously for indoors but even indoors I prefer using something that can be moved. If I'm on my PC I can't go in the next room and carry on with headphones can I? I'd have to copy project to USB turn off PC, turn on laptop import project, and then... Oh shit! Where was I!
If I have a studio space arranged in my place of residence, I sure as hell don't want to move out of the room that has all the soundproofing done, and monitors all positioned in the best listening hotspot to make the best decisions when mixing! ;)

Yeah but here's the thing I keep repeating and you don't get...

We aren't all like you!

I live in a 2 bedroom flat with my girlfriend and two kids! I don't have room to er... have a room! Some of us have to actually share our living space with others!

Mind you, If I could I would and would be with you to an extent on that, maybe?

sl23 wrote:Yeah but here's the thing I keep repeating and you don't get...

We aren't all like you!

I live in a 2 bedroom flat with my girlfriend and two kids! I don't have room to er... have a room! Some of us have to actually share our living space with others!

I do my work in a cold un-finished basement. When people are walking around upstairs it's like a drum. I don't move around because I have no good reason to. Either they stop walking or I just put up with it. Same deal everywhere else. I guess the point here is, we all have to deal with what we got. We don't all live in a professional enviorment so we make due with what we have.

If you have a decent laptop you should be fairly portable with it. If it's not very portable then you could easily find a notebook bag/backpack for 10-20 dollors via the internet. While it may be more or less in your currency it's still relatively in-expensive.

You do however, bring up a good point with an earlier post.
sl23 wrote:Oh shit! Where was I!
This would be a nice feature request. FLStudio and LMMS have a notepad where you can type reminders, ideas, or a discription when sharing. Have like a notepad editor window so we can write down ideas.
My Setup.

Touch screen will always be rubbish for complex or precise work. At least without a huge increase in screen size or a dual screen setup.

The basic problem is that by making the display device and the pointing device share the same surface, the user indicates the area of interest by blotting it from their view.

The touchscreen experience is great when you're dealing with menus, big controls that you slide around or simple drawing or music applications. But it's crap for something like musical notes, where you want to have a decent amount of information onscreen and see your manipulations before you finalise them. Viewing 2 octaves spread across 4 bars just so everything is big enough for you to edit isn't viable for a project with a reasonable amount of musical data.

sl23 wrote:Yeah but here's the thing I keep repeating and you don't get...

We aren't all like you!

I have JUST moved to a new place, 2 rooms with kitchen, toilet, storage space. I have a deal with my fiancee to get one room just for myself and my gear. No kids so far, but next year is wedding and then who knows. But till then at least, I have a room all for myself. :)

I do see your point, though!

sl23 wrote:The same will apply to PC's they will get so powerful that it makes no sense to keep making it more so.
Sadly your probably right, I don't know what's pushing the PC envelope these days outside gaming which i agree has probably reached it's zenith, but for audio processing , Diva to name 1 would I,m sure enjoy 32 real cores to play with @10 Ghz , and possibly around the corner is stuff envisioned by developers we can only dream of until the hardware is in place.

I hope it all continues.

But back OT

I would love to see more templates included IE 4 track mixer with sends all setup that i can drag in to the Mux, had to switch to REAPER today for that (no bad thing) this would also benefit modular learning as i can go and look how it's wired up :)

@ EvilDragon:
HA! Won't be long til you got some sprogs then ;-)
good luck with the marriage, sincerely.
Nice that you have room though, sometimes I wish I had a padded room, not for making music in, just to get some peace! :D

@robenestobenz:
Yeha but as I said just up there a tad, we're not all like you. Not everyone here is an expert wanting perfection with the most powerful systems. If I'm honest I'm pretty shite at making music :D If you heard it you'd be shocked! But, I enjoy it and at the end of the day that's really all that matters.

My demands are far lower than yours are because I'm very amateur, therefore a touchscreen would be a fantastic addition, or rather, replacement to my laptop. I'd love to have a 13" tablet to run MuLab on! I'm a minimalist at heart, I prefer a few instruments/FX/samples rather than gigabytes of stuff to troll through! I find that a put and very boring.

If you have a few good VST's with a decent amount of presets and scope for making your own basic and complex then that's all I want. Though I'm picky with my FX. I wish I could get some of those that were on the Roland SP-808 sampler. Can't seem to find stuff like that. But that's just me. I respect your preference, but again not everyone wants that.

leggie wrote:
sl23 wrote:The same will apply to PC's they will get so powerful that it makes no sense to keep making it more so.
Yep, and there will reach a point when ideas are used up because there are no tech limits. If there's no limit to tech why advance it? That's why tech advances, because it fills a necessity. As they say - necessity is the mother of invention.
leggie wrote:Sadly your probably right, I don't know what's pushing the PC envelope these days outside gaming which i agree has probably reached it's zenith, but for audio processing , Diva to name 1 would I,m sure enjoy 32 real cores to play with @10 Ghz , and possibly around the corner is stuff envisioned by developers we can only dream of until the hardware is in place.
If it's really that powerful how the hell can it run on our inferior machines at all?!

Btw, I like the Notepad idea from dakkra ;-)

Return to “MUTOOLS”