MuLab 5.0.31 Test

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mutools wrote: [*]When loading a session or preset with a VST plugin that is not found, the "Locate" dialog kept on popping up even when selecting the proper VST plugin. Fixed.
Fixed now :tu:

Muclips, Very powerful feature :)

Also as Andreas asked when he was helping me, does the dragged Muclip end up in the session MUX by design ?

What's the ID file for? I tried updating just the exe and it hasn't reverted to free mode, still have UL and my name on start screen.
Last edited by sl23 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bug:

Drag some MuClips from the user library...

Start to delete sequences from the browsers sequence tab...
Sooner or later (for me mostly after 2 deleted clips) Mulab crashes...

Wasn't able to reproduce this with clips from the factory library though

Right, I've been using M5 quite a bit for the past few days. Not that anyone asked, but here are my thoughts.

Cool stuff:

- Multicore threading is working like a dream. It's so good to have a fresh boost of power on my old dual core 2007 notebook. On my main PC, it's even better -- it's an old Q6600 quad core, so I'm getting huge gains. The GUI is more jerky/unresponsive than V4/3 on the notebook, however. Not a big deal -- audio is of course the highest priority, but I thought it's best to report..

- I'm liking the reduction in pop-up traffic. I also noticed some pop-ups appear in a non-modal way and then disappear automatically. Nice solution to conveying information without interrupting the user.

- Browser is really sweet, I love the quick filter buttons, great idea. Dragging back to the browser to save a preset for muclips and rack presets is a wonderful bit of workflow design as well.

- Has the Mux autolayout algorithm been changed or is it just me? The session mux for the new projects I've created in 5 seem so tidy!

- MuClips are a fantastic convenience.

- Curve types for automation, the waveform types are absolutely awesome. I already know I'll be using these a lot!

Improvements (in my opinion):

- In the shortcuts list, I think the increase grid / decrease grid wording gives the opposite impression of the functions at the moment. Increase/decrease grid detail or Increase/decrease grid resolution would both be a better fit.

- Could there be a convert part automation to curves feature (or could it just record as curves)? Having automation handled in two different ways seems unecessary to me, and counter to the principle of the MuClip system, since I notice that merge selected sequence parts with a note and automation part doesn't work (parameter automation in note part is empty after merge).

- With the virtual keyboard, I think it'd be useful to have a drag control (or +/- buttons) beside the note row that would allow you to move all notes a step up or down simultaneously. Think I requested it for M3 as well, but here's a cheeky repeat :)

- I think it'd be useful if the user's favourite folders were included in the "Where" dropdown -- selecting a favourite folder is 6 clicks and multiple windows away! The browser presets are a fairly convenient workaround, but it's still a bit of housekeeping to keep them synced with your favourites.

- I think it'd be easier to quickly assemble kits if you could directly drag an audio file/preset directly onto MuDrum pads and have it loaded into element 1.

Bugs:

The list editor appears to have the wrong context menu popping up. First off all, it has the part options, such as choose grid size etc, then, If you select delete from this menu rather than the list editor form's delete button, it deletes the underlying part, not the MIDI event you selected.

- Power button, I dunno if it's something on my PC, but the plugin window processing on/off indicators appear don't appear to be working with external plugins. The indicator is always off, even while the module is playing, and it only momentarily flashes green when toggling it.

- If I minimize and then restore MuLab, the rack desk scrollbar expands to fill the entire area, or goes entirely empty, even when there's a load of off-screen racks. I have to minimize/expand the racks in order to get the scrollbar to reflect the actual space available again.

Also, is there some way I'm missing to quickly change the browser preview volume?

Really enjoying the update!

leggie wrote:Also as Andreas asked when he was helping me, does the dragged Muclip end up in the session MUX by design ?
Yes. The session MUX is like your studio, you see al your gear there, and the cables in between them.

sl23 wrote:What's the ID file for? I tried updating just the exe and it hasn't reverted to free mode, still have UL and my name on start screen.
The ID file is a soft crack protection. If the exe is changed without updating the ID file, MuLab will internally reset to Free mode. No you don't see that in the splash, but you will hear the noise when crossing the MuLab Free bounds.

Trancit wrote:Bug:

Drag some MuClips from the user library...

Start to delete sequences from the browsers sequence tab...
Sooner or later (for me mostly after 2 deleted clips) Mulab crashes...

Wasn't able to reproduce this with clips from the factory library though
I'll try to repeat this...

Well, I'm glad to see 5 is out for the Mac, but oddly the midi startup bug is still in there for me? Ha! Must be my old keyboard driver or something with my system. I'm tempted to buy another midi keyboard to see, but Logic 9 works fine as always... Crazy. :)

I have a suggestion for MuLAB's context menus. I feel the "+" button for submenus is slowing me down way too much, especially since it doesn't remember the state (if it was expanded or not).

Why not use simple submenus like it's been the norm in Windows for decades? This could be a preference...

robenestobenz wrote:- Multicore threading is working like a dream. It's so good to have a fresh boost of power on my old dual core 2007 notebook. On my main PC, it's even better -- it's an old Q6600 quad core, so I'm getting huge gains. The GUI is more jerky/unresponsive than V4/3 on the notebook, however. Not a big deal -- audio is of course the highest priority, but I thought it's best to report..
Indeed, thanks for reporting!

It's a normal side effect of the MC engine. If you want a snappy UI then reduce the number of audio processing threads by 1 so that there always is 1 core left for the UI. So it's a balance you can choose for yourself.
- Has the Mux autolayout algorithm been changed or is it just me? The session mux for the new projects I've created in 5 seem so tidy!
No nothing changed there, as far as i remember. Does it look different from M4?
The list editor appears to have the wrong context menu popping up. First off all, it has the part options, such as choose grid size etc, then, If you select delete from this menu rather than the list editor form's delete button, it deletes the underlying part, not the MIDI event you selected.
No it's the correct menu though it may contain some redundant items as these menus are generated in a generic way.

Note that that sequence part menu has 2 main groups: "Part" and "Sequence". For functions wrt the events look in the sequence group. Hope you see what i mean.
Power button, I dunno if it's something on my PC, but the plugin window processing on/off indicators appear don't appear to be working with external plugins. The indicator is always off, even while the module is playing, and it only momentarily flashes green when toggling it.
M5 has a "Smart Bypass" feature on VST plugins which means that if the VST plugin is not receiving any input nor generating any output the VST plugin is bypassed so it doesn't consume CPU. In that case the green power led will change to a darker green, indicating that the plug is still active but auto bypassed. This Smart Bypass feature can be controlled via the VST plugin's context menu -> Setup Smart Bypass. By default it's Off. Does this clarifies things?
If I minimize and then restore MuLab, the rack desk scrollbar expands to fill the entire area, or goes entirely empty, even when there's a load of off-screen racks. I have to minimize/expand the racks in order to get the scrollbar to reflect the actual space available again.
I see, indeed something wrong there, will check & fix.
Also, is there some way I'm missing to quickly change the browser preview volume?
No. (not yet)

i have downloaded the MAC version today.. but its in demo mode (i have the full V4 Version)
what should i have to do to test the full V5 version?

thanks

Andreas

DHR53 wrote:Well, I'm glad to see 5 is out for the Mac, but oddly the midi startup bug is still in there for me? Ha! Must be my old keyboard driver or something with my system. I'm tempted to buy another midi keyboard to see, but Logic 9 works fine as always... Crazy. :)
I'm sorry i could not yet dive into that OSX MIDI specific thing. Simply didn't find the time yet, but i will investigate this further. Note that it only happens on certain OSX systems, it's OSX system specific. You don't need to buy another keyboard, i doubt whether it will make a difference, it's some quirk in OSX, imho, but at the same time i assume there is some way to bypass that. Hopefully i'll be able to R&D that bypass and deliver a solution in M5.x. Can't promise anything except that i will do my best.

How is the multi-core engine running on your OSX system? Very curious about that!

[BUGS]

I've been updating my Mux presets and removing some Meta-Parameters. I save the presets, close MuLab, restart MuLab and the Front Panel knobs revert back to the Meta-Parameters instead of the direct assignments to the knobs.

For example: I have Osc 1 Pitch knob preassigned to a MP in M4 so I could rename the knob. As M5 can rename knobs I no longer need the MP so delete all association to it even the name. I then open the Mux Osc Module and drag the Transpose knob to the Front Panel and rename it. I do this for all knobs requiring this change just to clean it up a bit. After saving and restarting MuLab it somehow reverts back to the presaved state?! How? I've done this with two presets 3 times each so it can't be me, can it?

I've mostly been using the Save Preset button, but on one occasion used Save Preset As... still didn't work.

Everything else saves except the changes to MP's.

I've also noticed an increase in the need to R-click. When I want to R-click very often nothing happens making me need to repeat it.

Also, when changing Mux Presets using the left and right arrows I keep getting the message 'Couldn't Load Preset File'

The Mux Menu has an option to reorder the Meta-Parameters. But when I opened this window I found no way to close. Tried R-click title bar. All you can do is move to top left.
Last edited by sl23 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EvilDragon wrote:I have a suggestion for MuLAB's context menus. I feel the "+" button for submenus is slowing me down way too much, especially since it doesn't remember the state (if it was expanded or not).

Why not use simple submenus like it's been the norm in Windows for decades? This could be a preference...
It's on the wishlist for some future version.

andreasg wrote:i have downloaded the MAC version today.. but its in demo mode (i have the full V4 Version)
what should i have to do to test the full V5 version?
Send me an email.

Return to “MUTOOLS”