auto-scroll view with moving locator

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, is there a way yet to auto-scroll the view along with the moving locator?

Can we have a little 'auto-scroll' button on the Transport Panel for this?

There is an autoscroll setting that can be set with a cmnd. key... but it tuns off if you manually scroll the window. Which is kind of weird. I expect it to stay on when I turn it on. But I have to keep hitting the cmnd. key throughout sessions???

:?:

megalodonnl wrote:Hi, is there a way yet to auto-scroll the view along with the moving locator?
Right-click the composer / sequence editor -> "Auto Scroll".

DHR53 wrote:There is an autoscroll setting that can be set with a cmnd. key... but it tuns off if you manually scroll the window. Which is kind of weird. I expect it to stay on when I turn it on.
Of course the auto scroll is switched off when you scroll manually otherwise your manual scroll would make no sense as the auto scroll would immediately overwrite your manual scroll action. I think it's logical.

I think it's natural to disable autoscroll if the user scrolls manually. If I want autoscroll on, why am I scrolling the window?

One way that I've known other hosts to handle this is for manual scrolling to disable autoscroll, reactivating it if at any point the play position travels to the end of the viewable region.

robenestobenz wrote: One way that I've known other hosts to handle this is for manual scrolling to disable autoscroll, reactivating it if at any point the play position travels to the end of the viewable region.
That is what I mean.

Manual scrolling is what you do when the song is not playing - when you edit stuff. Auto-Scroll is for automatically following the cursor on playback of the song so you can see WHAT exactly is being played.

I see these as totally separate situations and would rather not have to press Auto-Scroll 100 times per session.

Another function that seems so obvious... yet seems to be interpreted differently. Yes, autoscroll is to move the screen while playing back the arrangement. But why would me scrolling with the mouse turn that off? It doesn't in Logic... If it is turned on it stays on. It has nothing to do with me using the mouse to move around in the arrange it's a function that deals with limited screen space.

Have to say I'd rather auto-scroll didn't turn off automatically when I manually scroll - it's rarely been the effect I want (not never, though). Usually, when I decide I need to focus on the section on the screen, I'll stop playback. Otherwise, I'm being distracted by parts of the composition I'm not looking at anyway!

megalodonnl wrote:Manual scrolling is what you do when the song is not playing - when you edit stuff.
pljones wrote:Usually, when I decide I need to focus on the section on the screen, I'll stop playback.
I won't make an assumption that users stop playback to edit things. So we'll have to reason about this with the composer playing.

That said i can see that there is room for improvement there.
Last edited by mutools on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

:P :D I don't like AutoScroll! :lol:

But... It makes sense for AS to kick in at when it reaches the Right Hand edge of the window.

If my song is 154 bars and I hit the spacebar to play back this song... why would I want to look at the first 24 bars only? While playback is happening... Once again, I'm baffled at user response. :?

DHR53 wrote:Once again, I'm baffled at user response. :?
What do you mean with this?

Behavior that simply makes no sense or is not useful being embraced by users. :!:

Did you think about the reason i gave why AS is switched off when scrolling manually?

hmm a tabbed interface anyone? perhaps you could start a tab for any part of your composition that you need to focus on. no? ok nevermind.

Return to “MUTOOLS”