auto-scroll view with moving locator

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry, I thought you misunderstood.

Perhaps the best solution is an option to choose either AS is cancelled when stopped or stay active?

Cfr my previous posts: I agree the AS feature needs some extra thought. I've added that on the WL. I'm currently concentrated on something else. Sorry that i cannot do everything at the same time. (no irony, i respect this FR)

I appreciate that I wasn't pushing it, I sincerely thought this would appease all, instead of sticking one way or the other. Makes no difference to me I don't use AS, I find it an annoyance :shrug:

The most common implementation I see is that when the user scrolls beyond the range of the cursor, auto-scroll is temporarily turned off, assuming the user may want to inspect, or edit something in another location. Then when playback is stopped and restarted, the default setting again takes precedence. In other words, there's a persistent behavior based on user selection, and a temporary behavior based on the most recent user actions.

Cheers, Jon

Not sure if this idea is any good or how best to implement it, but here one way possible. How about another window that shows play position and the full composition. This window could be placed at top or bottom of the composition window as a track.

When you click on a section it would then appear in the composition window. Would something like that solve the problem?

sl23 wrote:Not sure if this idea is any good or how best to implement it, but here one way possible. How about another window that shows play position and the full composition. This window could be placed at top or bottom of the composition window as a track.

When you click on a section it would then appear in the composition window. Would something like that solve the problem?
Wouldn't solve the autoscroll behaviour for me, but I'm a big fan of this overview / minimap behaviour in other programs I've used (the old game Lemmings comes to mind!), nice suggestion.

OMG! Haven't played that for years :shock:

Perhaps this combined with jonljacobi's suggestion may help?

sl23 wrote:Not sure if this idea is any good or how best to implement it, but here one way possible. How about another window that shows play position and the full composition. This window could be placed at top or bottom of the composition window as a track.

This would be nice, but the only way I see to do it cleanly is to put a playback location cursor in the horizontal scroll area. You could take it a step further and display wave and MIDI info in the scroll area a la Melodyne. (I wish I could embed pictures here). I love Mu.Lab's clean lines and it's very easy to get carried away with this sort of thing and clutter things up.

Making the auto-scroll setting two-stage is a relatively minor endeavor, a cursor in the scroll area, not so much.

-Jon

It's a difficult one to solve that's for sure!

Adding to the idea I proposed, perhaps you could somehow enable this 'window' or 'viewer' to show any one track or tracks at a time?

It's inevitable that more features will add more clutter. Maybe in a more reduced form is the nature of MuLab but still more clutter.

Not sure what you meant by:
but the only way I see to do it cleanly is to put a playback location cursor in the horizontal scroll area.

If you mean in the full composition window, I did mention that. Did you mean something else?

No, I meant in the actual horizontal scroll bar, which is generally representative of the length of the song, or could be. In any window where there's a time line.

Oh yeah I see what you mean. Hmm... A window as a track would give more info and could be enhanced to do zoom in on other stuff, but, maybe not useful??? Whereas the line in the scrollbar is, like you say, easier to implement ;-)

Thankfully, we have a great developer who'll make the best choice! ;-) Melodyne does exactly what you're saying (I think...), but all within the scroll bar. It's pretty slick and you drag the edges of the scroll handle to change the zoom. Check out the trial version.

I like how zoom/scroll is handled right now. Mouse wheel to zoom. Right click to quickly navigate around. Scroll bars for large distances when zoomed in. Just my opinion though
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

I'm fine with the navigation as well, but I would like the auto-scroll to be persistent. And Melodyne's scroll bar is slick. Check it out.

Return to “MUTOOLS”