MuLab 5.1.0

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is a new MuLab 5.1.0 in http://www.mutools.com/mulab/everest

What's changed:
  • New sequence part function: Trim To Played.
  • Improved Audio Compressor module:
    + New Pre Gain parameter.
    + Visual feedback of input and output levels and compression curve.
    + Important bug fix/improvement wrt the Knee parameter.
    + Several other improvements wrt the processing algorithms resulting in a more solid and smooth compressed sound.
  • Audio level meters now show the current max level in a tool tip.
  • Audio level meters now have independent fall times for the maximum level indicator.
  • Composer: When splitting unique parts, the splitted part is also unique.
  • Fixed a rare crash bug when inserting a new module in a rack or MUX deep editor.
  • Fixed a bug wrt MIDI event processing for system MIDI messages like Active Sense etc.
  • Fixed an issue wrt music time calculations, for example appearant in looped sequence parts that were not drawn as looped.
  • OSX: Fixed a MIDI input bug which could lead to missed notes or hanging notes etc.
This new version comes as an app patch, so you can simply replace your current MuLab app file by this new one, cfr http://www.mutools.com/mulab/app-patch/Read%20Me.txt

The new compressor is interesting. It's a bit touchy but it works great.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

What do you mean with "a bit touchy"?

Nice work thanks Jo.

Could I request that you add a Transparency setting to the Front Panel Groups please. But allow borders for the Groups to have a choice of Transparency too, and maybe colour as well.

The idea is so that when we use our own background graphic for the FP, we can still have Groups show by making them Transparent but still show the border in a colour that matches.

Thanks

Why don't you implement the group frames into the background picture then?

Er... what?

As you wrote in your post you want certain specific graphics for your MUX front panel, but you're already working with a background picture for that front panel, so why don't you just edit that background picture and add the group frame graphics there completely looking like you want. That's the big advantage of using a background pic, you can do anything you want there, using your prefered graphic tools.

I understand why you say that, you don't want to spend time with that sort of trivial thing. But it's not easy to change if later you prefer a different layout. Buttons can be transparent so I thought it'd be fairly easy to add for Groups? This sort of thing shouldn't really require a graphics program though, it should simply be a matter of making something see-through :shrug:

Would you consider adding it in a later update at least?

Thanks

I think M5 already gave a nice palette of extra features for building MUX front panels. Giving users even more options for building nice front panels is certainly one of the wishes on the WL. Especially being able to choose between different widget types for parameters, and being able to include level meters etc. But i'm convinced that a situation as you descibe is best handled with the solution i gave above. Not only (but also) because i'm not able to make MuLab also a graphics editing program (where do such graphic FRs stop? not meant negative, but realistic!!) but especially because i think modularity is a good thing and graphic design is best done using graphic tools. I'm sure you'll find a reasonably good workflow in the end.

Besides this conrete topic, let me take this opportunity to tell a bit about what i'm busy with atm. I'm currently taking some distance from the deep technical details and flying on a more overview level. I'm brainstorming about the current state of MuLab and MUX, comparing and exploring other apps, walking thru the whole wishlist and reflecting on all that. I also want to make time for some intense jam sessions so to keep a good feeling about music making. All this will lead to a fresh new development strategy for 2013.

One of the conclusions i could already make is that as long as i'm developing as a single indie dev, i must be realistic with how much i can do. If i would try to do more than possible, then product quality and/or my health could start to suffer from that. Both consequences would not be ok of course. So i'll stay within my limits. And this has consequences for the design. That explains why i reply to your request with the solution i gave. Which is a good solution imho. Of course i stay open for feedback if there would be real workflow difficulties when using MuLab/MUX and a graphic editor in parallel.

I also start to see some other 'lights' wrt the next evolutions of MuLab & MUX. But will first continue the 'overview flight' and make proper conclusions before i get back to a more concrete level. Definitely interesting times i must say.

About M5.1: It's a little interim update which brings a bunch of improvements and fixes.

Last but not least, a practical note: I'll be mostly offline from tomorrow to next friday.

Jo, thanks but you really don't need to explain the dev time issue I understand. I appreciate your position and respect why it is the way it is. I don't agree with it being a job for a graphics editor but that's just my opinion.

I was just hoping it would be a relatively simple thing to add, maybe even a copy/paste/adapt sort of job. But I get that other things are more important. I was wondering why the updates were a bit sparse! ;-) I had a feeling you were thinking of how to move so to speak. Anyway, good luck, and I look forward to where it goes... :-)

Trim to played works well with a cmnd.key! Thanks for adding that... But what does trim to selection do? I was trying to figure that one out as I saw it in the shortcuts but don't see it in the menus?

:)

Must be difficult to find a co-programmer now that the application is already so complete. You know it inside out, but the other person might not understand why you programmed stuff the way you did and thus cause more problems than solutions :D You would probably have to control and correct everything, which would take you a lot of time.

I find it impressive how you keep doing this for years. I would not be patient enough. After some time I would feel like publishing a final version and then start something new :)
Not to mention the fierce competition and dwindling prices, I guess sooner or later I would wonder if it is worth it, spending the best years of my life at the computer...

Have a nice vacation :)

When sidechaining I play around with the compressor controls and sometimes even the smallest modification to a parameter makes a huge jump in the compressor.

Oh and I like that the compressor has solid lines :D
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Gain tooltip :tu:

UH, I like the gfx feedback of the compressor! Took me a few seconds to realize I had to go "deep", haha. It really helps a great deal!
I still have to figure out how to get that beautiful gated feeling I'm so used to from other compressors can be accomplished, but I'll see, if I can somehow tailor a mux for that purpose...
BUT: BIG UPS for the improvements! I hope that doesn't cut your "vacation" short...if so, I'm sure we'll be busy enough to explore the set of new gifts from you! ;)

Return to “MUTOOLS”