Great MUX review from Computer Music Magazine

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nielzie wrote:This is weird. MuLab got burned down because of the "outdated" GUI, menu's, workflow, etc. but MUX, which is basically the same got compliments about it :?
MUX Reviewer wrote:Working with MUX is surprisingly intuitive. The interface is clean and clear, and mouse-over hints and right-click menus help you along.
Yep.. was wondering about that too. Maybe different reviewers?

A lot of the beauty of MuLab is under the hood, which doesn't fare well in a quick review... :roll:

Here is a preview of some test sound i made with the evolved superfat MUX oscillators: http://www.mutools.com/mux/library/exam ... Chords.mp3
(no fx, pure osc)

Currently also working on a redesign of the MuSynth. Here is an unfinished preview: http://www.mutools.com/mux/temp/musynth-5-2.png

Feel free to feedback!

:shock:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Well since MUX dev is here maybe i should ask for this kinda "issue". Please for more detailed description see this thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

But in short, why MUX can't detect plugin latency (for example fx plugin) and report it to DAW host/application accordingly ? And is that feature on the list?

IMHO it was surprise to me to see such an advanced platform (MUX) with literally amazing options under the hood for making patches/chains and macros with 3rd party FX or instruments - yet plugin delay issue is overlooked..

The MUX signal system does indeed not yet include auto latency compensation. But the MUX Vst does support a way to bypass that manually: In the MUX Vst Deep Editor, in the options menu there is a "Edit VST Initial Delay" function (in the "Plug-In Session" group) with which you can set the delay that MUX must report to the host. I know this is manually, but at least there already is some way. Yes of course ideally the whole signal path should support auto latency compensation. It's on the wishlist, like many many other wishes.

Hi Joe,
I never bothered with PDC, I'm not having noticeable effects at the level I'm working with, but how do you calculate the delay in order to use the Initial Delay function?

liquidsound wrote:Hi Joe,
I never bothered with PDC, I'm not having noticeable effects at the level I'm working with, but how do you calculate the delay in order to use the Initial Delay function?
Maybe the Plugin Analyzer from Christian Budde could help to measure the latency of MUX, and based on the result the Initial Delay could be adapted?
:?:

I'm not too familiar with the PDC issue. Never got a problem in Live that I can detect at my skill's level, which is a nightmare to some Pros.
But if you measure the MUX overal latency it may not be good enough if inside you have different VSTs with different Delays..
Am I making any sense? Maybe not :shrug:

To get an initial delay (aka latency) put the VST in question in a rack, right click and select "Show Initial Delay".

I once was bothered with PDC, but most instruments or effects do not show any latency besides the obvious Linear Phase EQ and Look Ahead Limiter.

There are no internal modules (yet) that add latency so it's only when using VST plugins. You can lookup the delay of a VST plug using the VST plug's context menu (i.e. the MU context menu for that VST) -> "Show Initial Delay". FYI: The name "Initial Delay" comes from the VST SDK. Using those numbers you can calculate the delay manually of a certain modular patch. You can also use the Pure Delay module to align different VST delays within a MUX patch. Anyway, if you don't use it, don't bother about this info.

OK then...
Back to business as usual :D

Sorry isn't it obvious, MuLab should be inside MUX. Imagine Mux with midi parts tied to VSTi's and a sequencer editor[closer to buzz sequence editor the better] for arranging right inside of MUX. Also will need a mixer inside MUX as well and well there you have it, MuLab inside of Mux.

On another note, I am a fan of MuLAB's portable install process. I am researching Hosts and Plugs that don't need installers and noticed MUX and MULAB are simple folders. Kudos.

Regards, James

Nielzie wrote:This is weird. MuLab got burned down because of the "outdated" GUI, menu's, workflow, etc. but MUX, which is basically the same got compliments about it :?
MUX Reviewer wrote:Working with MUX is surprisingly intuitive. The interface is clean and clear, and mouse-over hints and right-click menus help you along.
It's because it's DAW vs Modular VST. They're used to modular synths that use their front panels as the module connector. They can get very messy.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Delete me... I made a silly point....
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Return to “MUTOOLS”