midi guitar with mulab

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i've just bought jam origin's midi guitar (great fun - download the demo and give it ago. i would say it's better than roland gr20 guitar synth i used to own)and i was wondering if anyone is using it with mulab?

i'd like to record midi notes in mulab using midi guitar. does anyone have experience of doing this? got it working in ableton but not sure how to achieve routing of midi in mulab.

Are you asking how to route MIDI devices through MuLab so it reads the notes through this MIDI Guitar software?

Because if so, have you tried to go to the MuLab menu, go to MIDI Setup, and set this device for the input and output, restarting MuLab, and using the device?

And as for recording the notes, it should pick the notes once you select the Record Events button and click Record, waiting 4 bars, and recording the input.
I make chunes and such!

i tried that just now using loopmidi virtual cable but it wouldn't work. i can use mux vst in ableton, so have access to mulab sounds and can record midi information from midi guitar, but it would be good to know how to record midi notes in mulab. in ableton it can be routed internally and if i knew how to i expect mulab does it to.

What do you mean more specifically by "it wouldn't work"? Could you not see the MIDI In ports? Could you not work out how to get the routing within MuLab? Or what?

the midi in ports are there but it wouldn't record. i was hoping that i could record the midi notes in mulab without using loopmidi or other virtual cabling. does anyone know if this is possible and how? if it is possible it might be an idea to have instructions and a template set up for any mulab users who require this functionality.

Seems a very interesting software. I'll try it and maybe I can figure it out.

Having the MIDI ports showing in MULAB -> MIDI Setup is a good start.

First, let's run through a simple session set up.
1. Create a rack
2. Make sure it's got a "Basic Synth" in the first slot
3. Play middle C on the on-screen keyboard and make sure you hear the noise from the synth
4. Play middle C on the MIDI guitar and make sure you hear the noise from the synth

OK so far?

5. Now, go into Session -> Edit MIDI Input Channel targets
6. Click "target module" dropdown for channel 1 -> Session MUX -> Dasic Synth Rack -> Basic Synth Rack, and click OK.
What that did was is ensure that, whatever else you do, MIDI channel 1 routes to the Basic Synth Rack.

7. To test, click on on the MASTER RACK, then play a note on the on-screen keyboard. Notice there's no sound. Play a note on your guitar. You should still get sound. (This will depend on the MIDI output from the guitar all being on channel 1, of course - if it's not, you'll need to set the other channels in step 6.)

OK so far?

8. Right... The transport bar has a recording panel - round blob, audio wave (audio record), quarter note (MIDI record). The last one should be enabled (red).
9. Clicking the record blob gets you a count in, then it starts recording. You can test it using the on-screen keyboard (it'll create a track routed to MASTER unless you changed focus again.)
10. OK, now for the real thing. Clear out any test tracks, position playback to the start and hit record. Play a few notes. Then hit the "Play" button to stop recording (and playback).
11. You should now have a new part for your recorded sequence on a track targeting the Basic Synth Rack.

How'd it go?

thanks, but this isn't what i'm looking to do. midi guitar is a vst plug-in that responds to the input and triggers sounds from a real guitar. it populates vst plug-ins and you then choose which plug-in load and play using your guitar. i got that working in mulab using the 'record audio' template. midi guitar will also output midi information and what i want to do is record that information on a midi record track in mulab.

this page gives instructions for recording in other daw's:

http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/Windows-Mac/help/

i got midi recording working ableton but would like to be able to do the same in mulab cos that's the daw i prefer to use.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. So it's a guitar to midi converter, not a midi guitar... ;)

In which case, you'll need to patiently await the MIDI Event Recorder module for Session MuX (or however this is achieved) or use a virtual MIDI cable between the MIDI out of the guitar to midi converter and MuLab, as it's not currently possible to record events created within the session, AFAIK.

aye, it's a software thing;works better than hardware stuff i've used before though. worth a look if you like playing synths from your geetar!

thanks for info re future 'midi event recorder'. mulab and mux vst just get better and better so any additions that make them more accessible to more people has got to be good.

Return to “MUTOOLS”