effect automation

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've already read in an old post the the effect on/offs are not automatable (unless that's changed)

Is there a way then to automate an effect mix amount ?
Cheers

Mick

Sure: Use an Audio Balancer module to 'choose' between the audio paths you want. Then drag-drop the Balance parameter to the [+] track button and create automation parts on that track as you want.

many thanks
Cheers

Mick

nope sorry - can't figure how to do that - please could you give exact instructions?

also how to send a track to more than one target

many thanks
Cheers

Mick

mickwest1 wrote:also how to send a track to more than one target
Put the targets into a Mux (short for "multiplexor", I guess) and set the track target to the Mux.

which mux??

I have managed to do it by adding a blank rack then using the sends to synths - and routing the track to the blank rack

Is that what you mean?
Cheers

Mick

Did you already watch the tutorial videos about MuLab and MUX Modular? If not pls do, you'll learn a lot of them.

See http://www.youtube.com/mutools

ok thanks - just some clear instructions would be good though
Cheers

Mick

mickwest1 wrote:I've already read in an old post the the effect on/offs are not automatable (unless that's changed)

Is there a way then to automate an effect mix amount ?
Effect mix automation: Very easy actually. The following covers ANY front panel knob/fader automation!!
1) If you have a Mulab effect, there is a high chance that is has a Dry/Wet or a MIX knob.
2) Click on that knob and drag it to the empty part below the existing track header.
3) A track with that knob name will be created.
4) Now create a sequence on that track, which will be an automation sequence.
5) Open the sequence and draw your automation. If "Off" is what you need, then set the automation value to "0" (=Dry)
6) If it's a VST effect, just tweak the Dry/Wet knob in the VST.
7) Open the Option menu in the Mulab frame around the VST, and click the first entry "Drag Last Tweaked Parameter"
8 ) You will get a box that you drag in the free area of the track headers and you are at step 3) of above.

All this works nice if you have insert effects, but what if you have a send effect that you want shut off? I assume you have the effect in a separate rack!
1) Drag that rack(!) in the empty space of the track headers
2) Right click on that new track header and select Add Automation Sub-Track
3) From the following list select, under your racks name, MUTE.
4) Go back to item 4) from the above.

I think this should cover this subject?

If you are concerned of cpu wasted on a silent effect, don't.
If it's a Mulab effect, unused effects are not processed anyway.
If it's a VST effect, right click in the effect slot in the rack and select Smart Bypass, which activates the effect to be suspended when nothing is happening (Jo, what does the edit window say? The words are truncated)

Thankyou Andreas

I'm getting the hang of stuff as I go

the "mute" tip especially useful

strangely I did try the mux compressor and created an automation track for the mix control - but it didn't seem to work - anyone else tried that?

many thanks
Cheers

Mick

further to the mute rack idea -

- you can also use the rack gain as the send amount ! - job done!
Cheers

Mick

mickwest1 wrote:Thankyou Andreas
strangely I did try the mux compressor and created an automation track for the mix control - but it didn't seem to work - anyone else tried that?

many thanks
I tried it and confirm it. My bug actually.
To solve it:
Go inside the Compressor (Show Modular Area)
Create anywhere: Module/Input-Output/Event Input
No Connection is needed. But Any MUX needs an Event Input to receive automation.

How come no connection needed ? Is it specific to certain situations
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

What i understood, long time ago, there are internal (invisible) connections from the Event Input module to 'where ever' to allow automation of things inside a particular MUX.

Return to “MUTOOLS”