[FR] Convolver module

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I imagine it's on the list already, but if not, I'm going to risk suggesting it. :)
In principle, a convolver is most similar to a delay in terms of buffer management, except that it uses them sideways, in a way. The buffer may just have to be the length of the impulse divided by the duty cycle length. That means the impulse length divided by duty cycle length determines the maximum size of the buffer. Each duty cycle samples its fraction of the impulse sampled, multiplied by the buffered sample from the index into the impulse sample, determined by multiplying its position in the buffer times the duty cycle length. Then the buffer gets transported cycle by cycle until the end. It's a tiny bit of a brain teaser to me, but there are worse out there. :ud:

There's the "easy" way, which would simply offer the loading of an impulse sample and then some parameters such as length percentage as minimum, wet/dry (maybe) and what ever else could be interesting, which might not be much.

The really amazing way would be two audio inputs, where you could essentially feed anything into the 2nd (impulse input), while you'd determine the length in the convolver, for example.

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities, naturally, and gives MUX yet an extra edge in terms of usability. Seems like there's some niche war going on in the convolution plugin world and it would be quite a statement to declare independence! :clap: :party: :hyper: :clap:
Last edited by Taron on Mon May 18, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nice idea, some kind of creative convolver would be really great. Is what you are suggesting adding some sort of vocoder capabilities as well?

Seems to me that this could be one of the great many possibilities of it! :hyper:
...and it reminds me that a regular formant filter would make a great figure in the module line-up as well! :pray:

I use reaverb from Reaper all the time to do weird convolving stuff but can't use it inside MUX with all those MUX goodies so it would be sweet.
And yes, why not a formant filter whilst we're praying to jeebus:)

chuckwood wrote:I use reaverb from Reaper all the time to do weird convolving stuff but can't use it inside MUX
Why not?

mutools wrote:
chuckwood wrote:I use reaverb from Reaper all the time to do weird convolving stuff but can't use it inside MUX
Why not?
Just to clarify, that's not a MUX issue. Some Reaper plugins can be used in 3rd party apps but reaverb is native-only as it uses some of reapers internal processing like time stretching. I can still use it before or after a MUX plugin which is fine but I still agree that it would be cool for MUX to have a convolver because, well, MUX is awesome. :D
The more native gadgets the merrier.

Return to “MUTOOLS”