How to get a multitimbral MUX in a DAW

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First it seems to me convienant that i can assign 16 midi channels to one MUX instance loaded in the DAW track slot.
So how to construct a multitimbral MUX?

Then i need to assign the basic controls (Gain/stereo Panning?/ etc ) of a rack for a automation track in the DAW
So i do need a session Mux to show all racks for the tracks in the DAW ( also necessarry for adding a send effect rack or a sub mix )

How to make this all ?

I found a old post ...
Racks are only a 'quick and easy' way to play with plugin modules. Indeed use a MUX for more complex routings, that's the solution!

More concrete: You can build a MUX that simulates a rack and add a audio input in that MUX that is routed to the specific 'slot' (i.e. module) you want. Then depending on what you want to do: In the parent MUX of that MUX (that parent MUX may be the session MUX) add a Patch Point module that you route to that 2nd audio input. Now you can route anything to that patch point and so the audio will travel to that specific module. Using MUX(es) you are in full control of all possible options!
Ok i must make a parent MUX in the form of a session MUX and how about the a multitimbral MUX (how is this related to a parent session MUX?)
I use MUX5..is MUX6 better suited for this building?

To build a multi-timbral MUX patch, start with inserting a MIDI Channel Splitter module. Then hookup whatever you want to the channels 1 - 16.

Thanks!
Right now i am puzzling in the DAW to get a multi-timbral MUX in a DAW track slot
Strange that it is difficult to get in the MUX editor ..some presets shows : show modular aera and others not...confusing

To assign a user or preset sound to a rackslot there is a need to go to the MUX editor ..so it should better if there is central knob to open a session mux editor to construct the multi-timbral mux.
( i understand for some presets it is not possible to open the mux editor for this to see how they are build up.. a sort of protection )

The second slot of the DAW must me give a option to choose midichannel 2 sound, but this will probably not working and i must assign this in the multi timbral mux ?

The MUX devices like MuSynth, MuDrum etc have a protected modular architecture and do not include the "Show Modular Area" function. If you want to use these in a multi-timbral MUX, use a "wrapper" MUX that includes tha MIDI channel splitter and connect the MuSynth in that wrapper MUX.

Thanks..
I think it is handier to use Mulab 6 for building this multitimbral MUX with "wrapped protected sounds"
I need also 16 (midi) racks for every midi channel to control the rack parameters and add more sounds and insert effects
Also a dedicared effect send rack
Save this MUlab mux ..and load it in the MUX

But it is not straightforward in the MUX itself to go to the MUX editor (find a sound with a Show Modular area) ( in MUlab there is always a MUX session editor)
That is why it is needed a knob in the MUX itself to go to the MUX editor whatever sound/effect is loaded with or without : Show modular area knob.

A"wrapper"is probably a : mux modular wherein i can place the protected soundmodule ?
Because the MUX has one slot in the DAW i must assign the midi channels within the MUX editor: choosing the midi racks 1 ..to 16 with the midi channel splitter

I try to make this in the DAW with the MUX directly (not in Mulab)..the tracks slots in the DAW must load a midi rack with a sound in a rack slot ( preset or user)( 1 to 16 ) made with MUX

I stop with this, because the effectrouting like in MUlab itself seems to be not possible with MUX in the composer yet
Don't see how i can bundle midi channels in the composer in a MUX and have effect routing.
It seems that the MUX in the composer only to use is for new sounds (design) and effects are useless

Can only add a insert effect to a MUX sound in the composer and for that i must use a rack and for a preset i must enclose this in wrapper.
A lot of work ...unworkable...and no idea how to get this done quicker

I found this old picture where Kontact and Addictive Drums are uses as a multitimbral / multi output instruments. The rest are just racks.
Multitimbral VSTi.jpg
If you have something like this in a MUX and set it up like a usual multitimbral VST like Kontakt or Halion, it should work.
And you do not need all those racks if you mix in the VSTis itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks!
Yes, this is a use for a VSti and HALion5 for example works fine as multitimbral Vsti in the composer already with all mixing capabilities.
But the idea is to use the MUX sounds in the composer and to play with all modules.
It seems that i cannot get the MUX as a multitimbral Vsti with mixing capabilities like in Mulab itself for the composer program, because that is the question is this thread.
Unfortunaly the composer has for mixing no send effects, if this was the case then it looks much closer to Mulab.

Choosing a sound alone in the MUX for the composer is not enough, if you want to add a insert effect you need to construct a rack, but there are no further mixing capabilities for effect racks.
It seems thast the MUX inthe composer has a limited use as far i can see it now :)

janhardo wrote:if you want to add a insert effect you need to construct a rack
You can insert an effect anywhere in MuX and connect it up. There's no need for a rack.

Thanks!
That makes it easier to add a insert effect, but still there is no send effect possible with routing MUX in the composer.. or i must add multiple same inserteffects to a sound then i could get a send effect
Perhaps is this the answer from you... adding effects into the MUX.
Laborious.. and no easy handling for experimenting.
Using of racks in de MUX editor could be give a better oversight of the mixing ?

Weird stuff. If you want an insert effect without the rack, you can just add the effects module into the audio chain. If that effect has no wet/dry fader, you can even add your own balance module to mix insert effect with direct audio out of your sound source.

I can even think of any combination that would be 'impossible'?! :shrug: :)

Wah...how are you guys so quick??? :lol: ... I have to type faster!

The moment you start working with modules directly, there is no limit to what you can do. Instead of sending through a rack, you can connect up any number of modules to any single effect module. You can use the other balance module 1>2 to split your source audio out and send one to the send effect and the other to the master! Really pleasant, actually!

Ok, I've made you a little example real quick.
Look at the Session MUX.
I put in two approaches to deal with send effects.
One uses a balance 1>2 module, which is kinda fun, because it's really a wet/dry balance.
Two is more like a traditional send, using just an amplifier module to control the volume sent to the send effect.

It's just a little example, of course, and I almost wished you could do a solid front panel for the session mux,hahaha... or at least place mixer strips or controls on the interface in some way.

I guess I could make a totally independent mux for the same thing with a fance front panel, of course. Hm...

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks!
Yes, working with modules directly is probably the best in the MUX( but i thougt of the automation of the rack controls too and therefore using a rack, but maybe there is another way for the rack control automation?)
If i choose a preset sound ..there is no MUX editor to get in the composer and adding a effect or something else, so i must for this preset sound i must get a "wrapper" to get a MUX configuration.

I do see that a preset soundmodule in MUX has some free effects slots, so the need for "wrapping"for a preset soundmodule in order to add effects in a MUX is not needed then.

I am here in search what is possible for a MUX in the composer and am not a expert, so it may be appear weird in my formulations :wink:

You can TOTALLY record all the knobs of the effects, balance, which ever you like. Give it a try. Hit record and dial anything you wish! ;)

Return to “MUTOOLS”