Optimized CPU usage
7%
MuSynth as VST plugin
2%
More clear and tight relationship between tracks and racks
1%
Time Stretching
13%
Loop composer / clip launcher mode for intuitively building up patterns / live performances
16%
Freezing
8%
Arpeggiator / Step sequencer module, embeddable into front panels
14%
Scalable user interface, customizable fonts
3%
Other, specified in post
7%
None
2%

Total votes: 209

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah same here I unpack and test for portability, if it leaves anything in system folders I use X-Launcher from winpenpack to try to contain it as much as possible. If it fails I scrap it and look elsewhere. Rarely is it necessary to install anything though.

what would be great if mulab had a tool bar like studio one and fl studio has mute slice and so on

I love the calm peaceful MuLab environment that makes it easy to stay focused on an idea and develop it without distractions. The organisation is clear enough that I can solve or workaround problems. I want to keep those unique qualities.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

runaudio wrote:what would be great if mulab had a tool bar like studio one and fl studio has mute slice and so on
The work flow with this idiom is:
1) find item you want to work on
2) select the item you want to work on
3) find the tool bar that has the tool you need (often not easy in itself as there are several and all cluttered with meaningless symbols)
4) click the tool you need (again, not particularly easy as you often have to hover each symbol until you've learnt which is which, and you then have to think about it...)

The MuLab work flow is:
1) find the item you want to work on
2) right click to get the menu
3) click the tool you need, which is described in plain text (maybe it was a sub menu, so one extra click)

So much of the time, it's fewer clicks and all of the time, you remain focussed on the item you're working on - rather than hunting around the screen and losing concentration. The only thing that could maybe be improved is the "described in plain text" - sometimes the terms aren't perfect but that gets fixed when people raise specific problems, from what I've seen.

Menus with many entries should be horizontal+vertical grids on a big window like in some patch browsers of software synths. Purely vertical menus become very cumbersome when the number of entries is more than a dozen or so.

I like that idea but then perhaps that's what sub menus are for. I think sub menus should open on hover instead of click though?

It depends - both is good: hover takes time (there *has to be* a delay to detect hover), if I'm in a hurry click gets me there quicker.

I'd like to have multiple rows of racks on top of each other instead of scrolling through them horizontally. A whole screen full of racks if necessary. :D

Thinking about it, it's seems kind of silly to me that most DAWs don't allow this in their mixer screens. Anyway, I'm new to Mulab and really like it so far. Sorry if this feature already exists.

What I would like in M7 (& onwards) are things that I'm sorely missing in current Mulab (or most other 'budget' DAW's):

1. Support for 'looped' recording! I don't mean a 'loop/pattern composer' but a functionality that when one records while using 'looped mode' the DAW should create a new sequence for every cycle. These sequences could later be rolled out on the current track or over different tracks. (or even have 'comping' of recorded events!)

2. Sequence editor: when one uses the 'transform' function on the events within a sequence/part and events go beyond the sequence border the DAW should ask to expand the sequence.

3. In 'Mux' add modules to 'read' CC's and act upon them. E.g. block certain CC's or defer note off while Sustain Pedal (CC64) is pressed.

4. In the sequence editor make the 'keyboard' to the left of the piano roll 'scrubbable', i.e. sound notes when moving over it with mouse button pressed. Now it's only one click per note. (Also would be nice if those events could also be recorded ... :) )

5. In sequence editor an 'axis lock' fuction while moving/copying events

6. In VSTi plugin editor add randomize function to VST(i) parameters (for creating new presets)

(BTW. Didn't read this whole thread so pardon if my ideas/suggestions already were made ...)
Last edited by ZeePok on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

JohnD71651 wrote:I'd like to have multiple rows of racks on top of each other instead of scrolling through them horizontally. A whole screen full of racks if necessary. :D

Thinking about it, it's seems kind of silly to me that most DAWs don't allow this in their mixer screens. Anyway, I'm new to Mulab and really like it so far. Sorry if this feature already exists.
I think MuLab's modularity allows the user to really configure the rack structure, among other things. If you think about it like you might think about, say Cubase, that is unlikely to be the right approach.

Grizzellda wrote:I think MuLab's modularity allows the user to really configure the rack structure, among other things. If you think about it like you might think about, say Cubase, that is unlikely to be the right approach.
This is an interesting point. The existing Mixing Desk quite specifically handles Racks. An alternative approach would be for it simply to be a MuX panel displaying a bunch of MuX components (unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to set up a MuX displaying Racks). Then it would be "properly modular". In fact, it might be easier to take a "like Reaper" approach: have a "dock" area into which other stuff can be put - i.e. any old (top level) component (which would generally mean a MuX or Rack).

pljones wrote: The existing Mixing Desk quite specifically handles Racks. An alternative approach would be for it simply to be a MuX panel displaying a bunch of MuX components
Yeah, but then a rack would just be another Mux, right? Pretty sure Jo designed racks to be a seperate entity, the simple front end for deeper Mux's. Racks are supposed to be quick & easy I think. Which makes sense when there is alot of stuff connected.

Reason is much like this as well. I wonder if perhaps Jo was ...oh I dunno...influenced by Reason? :D 8) Many types of ideas become feasible with these modular type programs. Modern technology!

Grizzellda wrote:
JohnD71651 wrote:I'd like to have multiple rows of racks on top of each other instead of scrolling through them horizontally. A whole screen full of racks if necessary. :D

I think MuLab's modularity allows the user to really configure the rack structure, among other things. If you think about it like you might think about, say Cubase, that is unlikely to be the right approach.
I don't get your point (I have never used Cubase). My request is not about routing, it's only about the user interface.

Right now, if I'm not mistaken, racks are displayed on one long horizontal line next to each other and I have to scroll through them. Likewise, the menu entries for my 700 VST plugins are stacked vertically rather than filling the screen. Instead, I want menu entries and racks to be stacked vertically and horizontally at the same time on the screen, like in a spread sheet, whenever there is many of them. Like in many patch browsers for soft synths.

Mulab's user interface is already pretty good but I think this would be an improvement.

Tip: You can group your VST plugins. That will make the VST list less long and more organized.

JohnD71651 wrote:Right now, if I'm not mistaken, racks are displayed on one long horizontal line next to each other
You are partially mistaken. Some racks are displayed in the rack desk. However, racks are just MuX components, so you can freely use them inside your own MuX concoctions.

Return to “MUTOOLS”