Free run LFO

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi -- I'm trying to get a LFO to modulate amplifier pan while the part is playing a very fast arpeggio. It's just not working. Is there a special trick to this? I've connected the output of the LFO to the PAN pin on the amplifier. I've tried it with both connected and disconnected to the Event Input module thinking that maybe if the LFO is not connected to the event input it would free run. I know it can work because if I manually move the start phase of the LFO while it's playing it does move the pan position of the notes. I would prefer to not have to use a midi controller to modulate the start position of the lfo as a work around if possible.

I would also like to explore giving each note a pan position and can't find an easy way to generate a pan value for each and then randomize them? Is that possible in MuLab?

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much. The prompt response to my questions has been great, and I really appreciate it!

EDIT: I was able to make this work by going out to the top level MUX and adding an amplifier and LFO before the audio output. Originally I was trying to do this within the synth template I was using (does this make sense - sorry if I'm not articulating this properly).

To use a global LFO for a polysynth patch: Add a modulation input in the polysynth and connect it to the parameter you want to modulate globally ie without a resync on note on/off. Then in the parent modular level insert the LFO and route it to that new modulation input of the polysynth. There you go, right?

Thanks. I think I understand what you mean :).

My original intention was to add a specific LFO to modulate the amplifier pan before it hit the audio output inside a poly synth that I had built from scratch using lots of modules. The output of the polysynth to the audio output in the parent module would be auto-panned. This is where it was not working. It did work when I just added an amplifier (with a LFO modulating pan) between the polysynth and audio output at the parent level.

Is there a way of doing this on the deeper poly-synth modular level?

Is it possible to create a pan value on a note by note basis in MuLab?

Thanks!

It's done as Jo describes.

Think of the polysynth as a copy of itself with every new note.
If you have 3 notes on, there are kind of 3 polysynth working.
Now with each new note the LFO in the new copy starts from center, if set as default. The new copy has no knowledge about any history about LFOs running. So the LFO starts new with each note.

Now if you create an LFO outside the polysynth, that LFO survives any note on/off and keeps running. Free running if the LFO is not connected to event input, otherwise the LFO is started new with every 1st note after all previous notes are off.

If you now send the LFO, as Jo describes, into a polysynth via a modulation input in the polysynth, you get a free running LFO and a change of pan with every note.
If I see this correctly, this would not be different to have the pan modulated just after the polysynth.

If you need something note dependent, use the Note to Modulation Converter module in the polysynth, which gives modulation values from the note number, velocity or random.

Thanks. What you've described is how I can make this work and have a LFO sweep the pan over all the notes played.

If I understand you correctly, I could use the Note to Modulation Converter module, convert my notes to Controller 10 and randomize the values, effectively creating a random pan mode to a sequence of notes?

Thanks again!

is this going to be a module your going to share

I would be glad to share the template I've used to create all of the sounds for the MUX OSC. It has 3 oscillators, each with it's own filter and multi-segment envelope, then they go thru two overall filters. There is a pitch and filter LFO and two noise sources with their own filters and multi-seg envelopes as well.

sounds great cant wait thank you very much

ontrackp wrote:If I understand you correctly, I could use the Note to Modulation Converter module, convert my notes to Controller 10 and randomize the values, effectively creating a random pan mode to a sequence of notes?
That is correct.
Only it's not CC10 but just a modulation connection sending random data to the pan input of the amp modul.

Return to “MUTOOLS”