Trouble with slicing loops...

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Jo,

as the title says, I ran into some trouble using sliced loops...

History:
I love a feature from Ableton, where you can record different loops playing randomly i.e. every 1/8th bar to create new creations/variations...
Now I wanted to recreate something like this in MuLab...
I loaded in a bunch of rex files as sliced samples (playing one after the other) and exported the region (was 18 bars) as an audio file...

I dragged the new audio file into a new project, choosed sliced sample and wanted to edit now the markers... (I want to have the loop sliced into 1/8th bar steps)

Now the problems...:-)
- the length of the sliced sample sequence is much shorter than the original wav file and therefore the sliced one plays much faster...
- there is no grid in the editor, so impossible to slice to grid :-(
- because of creating markers at transients and that the mapping starts at C1 (wasted 2 octaves space) top visible note (G8) was already reached at bar 12of 18... no visible notes anymore but in the velocity editor there are further notes showing...(bug?? feature???)

Perhaps you can do something about this :-)... especially a grid for editing sliced samples in the audio editor would be very useful...

Trancit wrote:- the length of the sliced sample sequence is much shorter than the original wav file and therefore the sliced one plays much faster...
Please email me the original wave file, i'll check what's going on.
there is no grid in the editor, so impossible to slice to grid
Note the "Add Recurring Markers" in the sample context menu. With that function you could add a marker at every 1/8 note.
because of creating markers at transients and that the mapping starts at C1 (wasted 2 octaves space) top visible note (G8) was already reached at bar 12of 18... no visible notes anymore but in the velocity editor there are further notes showing...(bug?? feature???)
Indeed a bug. Fixed in the next version.
About the starting key: Currently that's indeed fixed to key 36. Starting from key 0 would make the resulting multisample less easily playable from a MIDI keyboard.

mutools wrote: Please email me the original wave file, i'll check what's going on.
You can make easily your own:
-Take a rexfile or multiple and make loop it up to 16 or 20 bars...
-place the loop markers in compositor around them
- export composition to audio file
- open a new project
- drag the file into and choose sliced sample...
eh voila... your 20 bars loop file is now represented by a i.e. 16 bars sequence
Works everytime the same here...
Note the "Add Recurring Markers" in the sample context menu. With that function you could add a marker at every 1/8 note.
Thx, found it ... a bit complicate, though :-)
Indeed a bug. Fixed in the next version.
About the starting key: Currently that's indeed fixed to key 36. Starting from key 0 would make the resulting multisample less easily playable from a MIDI keyboard.
What about jumping to key 0 if key 127 is reached??? :-)

Other problem:

after getting a proper sliced sample part, it´s necessary for my plan to randomise the notes...
How can I randomise the key (100%) but limit the randomization to the lowest (C1) and my highest (D#6)...???

Trancit wrote: -Take a rexfile or multiple and make loop it up to 16 or 20 bars...
- open a new project
eh voila... your 20 bars loop file is now represented by a i.e. 16 bars sequence
I don't understand what you mean.
Export Composition As Audio File works fine here.
Pls share a project demonstrating the problem.

mutools wrote:
Trancit wrote: -Take a rexfile or multiple and make loop it up to 16 or 20 bars...
- open a new project
I don't understand what you mean.
Export Composition As Audio File works fine here.
Pls share a project demonstrating the problem.
The problem is not exporting audio...
The problem is, if you open a new project (with the same tempo you had before as you exported the audio), drag the loop you exported before (with export composition to audiofile) into this project and choose "Sliced Sample" you get a new track with a sequence, which is much shorter than the audiofile...
In my case, an audiofile of 20 bars result in a sequence part of 16 bars... and the sequence part plays the sliced audio file much much faster than the original tempo was ... again in my case the tempo of the original file was 138 bpm and playback seems to be at 150-160bpm (caused by the notes in the sequence, which do not represent the correct tempo...)...

In the screen shot, there is on the first track the original audio file and on the second track the result from choosing "Sliced Sample"
Sliced.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yeah i know wot you mean it happens to me as well may be jo will have it fixed in the next version or update

Trancit wrote:The problem is not exporting audio...
The problem is, if you open a new project (with the same tempo you had before as you exported the audio), drag the loop you exported before (with export composition to audiofile) into this project and choose "Sliced Sample" you get a new track with a sequence, which is much shorter than the audiofile...
In my case, an audiofile of 20 bars result in a sequence part of 16 bars... and the sequence part plays the sliced audio file much much faster than the original tempo was ... again in my case the tempo of the original file was 138 bpm and playback seems to be at 150-160bpm (caused by the notes in the sequence, which do not represent the correct tempo...)...
Ok i see what you mean now. That's because the number of beats in a drumloop is assumed to be a power of 2. So an audio file of a drumloop of 4 beats = ok, 8 beats = ok, but an audio file of a drumloop of 24 beats will not imported as you expect as such drumloops are not supported by the auto-slicer.
There is a workaround: After having imported such audio file as a sliced sample, delete the resulting sequence part, popup that sample's context menu -> "Create Sequence Using Markers" and then you'll get a popup dialog where you can input the sequence length.

Trancit wrote:after getting a proper sliced sample part, it´s necessary for my plan to randomise the notes...
How can I randomise the key (100%) but limit the randomization to the lowest (C1) and my highest (D#6)...???
No such direct way, but what you could try is using a "Note Key Ranger" module in "Round Robin" mode. Then set the key range to the key range playing the slices and from then on any note will play within that range so you can randomize the sequence in full range but the Note Key Ranger will wrap the out of range notes insode the range.

Thx, will try :-)

Return to “MUTOOLS”