Additive32 & Additive16 - 2 additive synth patches for MUX

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is a simple but versatile additive synth patch. 2 oscillators with 32 partials each.
Additive32.jpg
There is a 'manual' oscillator (OSC A) and an 'automatic' oscillator (OSC B).
The manual oscillator has adjustable individual partial volume and detune. The partials can also be automated from your host DAW if it supports it.

The automatic oscillator has a number of controls for adjusting partials in groups. You can just play around with these without worrying about what they are but here is a brief explanation of what they do.
-1 is the fundamental partial.
-Odd raises only the odd partials.
-Oddlo has decreasing volume from lo to high odd partials.
-Oddhi has increasing volume from lo to high odd partials.
-Even, Evenlo, Evenhi, the same as Odd with even partials.
-Prime is prime number partials
-Thirds A B or C use every third partial from the 1st, 2nd or 3rd partial respectively
(For the sake of simple patch design, only '1' affects the fundamental partial even if some other controls should affect it such as 'odd' or 'prime'.)
There are also more 'automatic' detune and width controls for this oscillator.

The cool thing with the automatic oscillator is that the last partial control you use doesn't override the whole oscillator, only the partials for that particular knob. For example, if you raise up the odd partials then move the 'prime' knob up then down to 0 you will have removed the prime number partials but will have left any remaining odd number partials.
No need to get too nerdy, you can just mess with it.

The filter section allows you to slide each oscillator between two filters.
There is a pan and volume LFO for each oscillator and a simple global FX rack.

Here it is, version 1. Hope you enjoy! (EDIT: link now includes Additive16, a 16 partial version, easier on CPU)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9uJT ... 3hXSzFnOFU
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chuckwood on Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wow thats some work there :hyper:
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Wow, what a beautiful and subtle sound (and totally stylin knobs). Thanks so much for sharing that.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Thanks bibz1st and Michael L, much appreciated

Can I make a small suggestion, how about an oscilloscope to see how the end result is being affected
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:Can I make a small suggestion, how about an oscilloscope to see how the end result is being affected
Just slap one on the provided rack and save it. 3 second problem :tu:
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Very nice

"Simple"?!! Heh, simple to make some incredibly complex sounds (that chew CPU... my poor 4GHz AMD 8-core struggles... tho' increasing buffer size from 96 to 256 helped a lot) but it sounds really nice once you get it under control. Looking inside, it's very nicely designed. (I just changed the name of the audio out module to "Additive32 Out" as it appears on the UI.)
Last edited by pljones on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sensational!!
Thanks

Wow great job thanks :tu:

Thanks a lot guys, nice to hear from some the MUX/mutools wizards!

Bibz1st, I did have an oscilloscope during an early draft but cut it for screen real estate. It is still an option in a future version, thank you dakkra for the elegant solution. (Certainly I'm not 100% on the gui yet so I will keep it in mind.)

Hehe, yeah maybe ' simple' is a stretch pljones but yeah, you got it, simple to make complex stuff:)
How is the CPU usage for everyone else? It is surprisingly low on my system which isn't as impressive a setup as pljones. (Thanks for the tip about buffer size for anyone else having issues.)

CPU on my 2010 Mac Core2 Duo is 14% playing a triad, and twice that with two triads, with no FX.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Thanks Michael L.

I've now added a 16 partial version 'Additive16' to the folder. This should help relieve the strain on CPUs.

I haven't had time to properly test this version out but it still sounds ok, a bit more like those vintage additives.
An added bonus is now all the partial controls from the automatic oscillator can be automated from your host DAW which opens up a lot of possibilities.

updated link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9uJT ... 3hXSzFnOFU

Thanks for the choice. The scope is nice, but I like the 32 version!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Thx for sharing this chuckwood

Return to “MUTOOLS”