Mac Switch to Finder

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since the 64bit version of 7.4.6 there was a change from the behavior of editor windows, compared to the 7.0.4 32bit.

With the intention of dragging from the Finder to a MuSampla or a VST plugin, the new version thrawts us by blocking the Finder's windows.

This was not the case before and we could drag from Finder to Mulab editor.

Bug? Design?

I don't understand what you mean. I just double-checked dragging a sample from the desktop to the [+] track button, it works as expected. Pls elaborate.

7.4.8 64bit (This is blocking other windows)

Finder is the application at the front but the editor is blocking it. I don't want to hide the editor/plugins automatically, I want it to stay open for a drag from the Finder.

In 7.0.46 32bit you could do this. The 64bit versions have changed.
Last edited by wilcofan on Sun May 21, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Click the finder window, it will become the top window. Then drag the relevant sample into a part of the MuLab window that is still visible and hold for a moment, that will re-activate the MuLab window and make the sampler window visible again too, then continue the drag operation and drop the sample on the sampler wave display. That's how it works here on Sierra. Maybe you're using another MacOS version?

Thanks but that doesn't work. I'm on 10.6.8. Here's a shot of 7.0.46:

7.0.46 (This is expected behavior)
Last edited by wilcofan on Sun May 21, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I still don't understand what you mean. Are you saying you cannot drag-drop one of these samples into the sampler display? Maybe a video would demonstrate it better?

In the second picture you are looking at the old build 7.0.46. Sorry I see on glance that's not obvious. I added captions to both, maybe that helps.

I'm still not sure what the exact issue is, can't repeat it here on Sierra, maybe the issue is specific to MacOS 10.6.8, i don't know, but do you know about the MuLab preference "Floating Windows Auto-Hide On Deactivate"? Maybe if you toggle it to another setting it gets more the way you want? Note that changing this preference only has effect for newly opened windows not yet on existing editor windows.

mutools wrote:...but do you know about the MuLab preference "Floating Windows Auto-Hide On Deactivate"?
Yes I am familiar.
Maybe if you toggle it to another setting it gets more the way you want?
If it's set to "on" obviously the editor won't block Finder because it will disappear. But then I'd have no editor window to drag to!!

Can somebody help us out? Anybody else able to switch to Finder with an editor or VST plugin still open in Mulab?

wilcofan wrote:If it's set to "on" obviously the editor won't block Finder because it will disappear. But then I'd have no editor window to drag to!!
Yes even then you can drag into the MuLab editors, see my description above, you have to hold the mouse over the MuLab window/dock icon for a moment while dragging, that will activate the MuLab window and hence make the floating windows visible again.

OK thanks. I will try and get back.

Well now I have the preference set to deactivate the editor (auto-hide) when switching to another app.

Here at 10.6.8 hovering over the Mulab app behind the Finder does not bring it forward.

But... hovering over the dock icon brings up expose then I can drag to that and then it comes forward. Round about way but it works.

For me I found a solution, a global hotkey to activate Mulab. I already had that in place and it works in mid-drag. So while I'm dragging I just activate Mulab manually and finish the drag. Works fine.

Glad to hear you found a workable solution :tu:
I also see if i can further finetune the behavior of the windows when MuLab is inactive, taken note, but checking that is something that won't be on short term, rather in a later phase of the M8 R&D.

Return to “MUTOOLS”