Notes keep cutting off like in a staccato manner when i dont intend for it to be that way.

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Notes keep cutting off like in a staccato manner when i dont intend for them to be that way. I already tried several instruments and it happens with all of them, I used to have logic when i had a mac and i sent from iannix midi information to logic and never had any problems.
Now i send from iannix midi notes to mulab 7 (i bought it already) and the cutting of the notes is persisting, I dont know what to do, i love the steinway piano tone that i downloaded and i cant use it, i think that it doesnt have to do with the power of my pc... i have I7 and 16gb ram
Help much appreciated!

now, I use Sforzando to play the steinway piano, when i use the standalone version the notes cut off much more and there is this "clic", that stops when i use sforzando as a vst inside mulab, but still there are several notes that cut off. i dont know what to do!

Check your sforzando settings that affect the envelope. You will need to look around because every sfz patch has a bit different GUI and controls. For example, in my Garritan Steinway patch in sforzando, under Controls > Instrument Controls > Release (CC21), if I set it too low it 'cuts' the notes.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Let's try some simple diagnosis.

0. Make sure Iannix is not intentionally sending MIDI events
1. Start up MuLab with a (factory) new project
2. Pop out the Basic Synth from the first slot of its rack to display its front panel
3. Pop open the modular view of the synth
4. To the right of "Event Input 1" in the modular area, right-click, Add Module, select MuTools->Modules->Event Processors->Event Monitor
5. Drag a (blue) wire from the (blue) event node input of the Event Monitor to the (blue) event node output of Event Input 1.
6. Double-click the Event Monitor to open the display.

At this point, the display should be empty as you should be sending nothing from Iannix. If that's not the case, you need to diagnose the problem in Iannix.

7. Get Iannix to send a very small number of MIDI Events to MuLab.
8. Review the Event Monitor output - you are looking, of course, for a Note On event for a note number closely followed by a Note Off event for that note number. (However, more complex reasons can exist, so if you see lots of other events than simple Note On / Note Off, it's worth explaining that.)

If you can see Iannix is sending very short events, then you have two directions to consider: change Iannix so it waits longer before sending Note Off events or change the effect of the Note Off events, as Michael L suggests. How you go about that would depend on what you're sending the events to. For many MuTools Synths, there is an Amplitude Envelope component in the modular view (within the Polysynth component, generally), where you can make the change.

thank you so much for your reply, i did what you said,
but still the staccato is persisting, i dont think the problem is with iannix... i checked SZF controls and moved them up to 100 percent and still, nothing changed...

You'll need to provide more detail.

I got to the point where the display was empty of the event monitor, in szf i tried a lot of combinations possible of the parameters in controls and settings etc etc and the problem persisted.
Right now i restored my pc to factory settings to see if that solves anything.
all though i do recall something peculiar when making a iannix score from before that made me uninstall and install loop midi again...
I accidently accelerated the speed of the score a lot and got shocked by the noise and speed it made... a warning sign came up but i didnt get a chance to read it, maybe it was about overloading the midi port i dont know.
also. I tried with Copperlan midi ports to see if that changed anything but no signal got through, so it was worse... then i restored my pc and here i am... im installing everything again, Ill keep you updated to see what happens...

ok, now i tried with live and there is still this problem, i dont know what to do... i tried with the piano that comes with live and with the steinway piano...

i tried a different audio driver which did give me a brighter and louder sound, other than that the same problem...
Ive tried rebooting pc, changing virtual midi ports, changing audio driver in live and changing daw´s! now what? :0 could it be my sound card?

i tried a different audio driver which did give me a brighter and louder sound, other than that the same problem...
Ive tried rebooting pc, changing virtual midi ports, changing audio driver in live and changing daw´s! now what? :0 could it be my sound card?

Perhaps Iannix is not sending the correct midi for the changes in your score? I am sure you checked this but just in case, the Iannix docs say,

"triggers can produce MIDI note messages in order to play a sequence of sounds on an external MIDI device (cf. Chap. 4.4). In this case, the trigger-specific duration attribute should be set for each note according to needs." (p.20)

Also, "in some cases a conversion of variable type might be needed. For example, the label attribute of a trigger – which normally takes a string value – may accept an integer number in order to control a MIDI velocity value (from 0 to 127)." (p.36)
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Thanks for your reply, yes i checked the trigger durations. if I record a sequence of midi data and go to where the notes cut off, they´re usually notes that overlap or have really strong legato... by overlap i mean that if one note lasts lets say 1.5 seconds on a C4 and then there is another one on a C4 that starts at second 1 of the previous one, one of those notes will cut off, i tried separating them manually and the cutting off stopped! but i dont think this is a very strong solution because each time there is an unwanted staccato id have to separate them manually and sometimes it would be too difficult because of the number of midi data going through.
now that i think about it, it might be a velocity issue... because how ive been mapping the velocity in iannix is by the length of the score in X coordinate, so maybe there are really close notes to each other with different velocity data going at the same time which messes up the note, now ill map the velocity to Z dimension and see if that changes anything .
Ill check the iannix documentation to see if i find anything, i dont really understand what that last paragraph means. if i find a solution ill post it, or if another problem comes along ill post it as well.

MIDI works like this:

1. Event: Note On: C4 at volume 100
2. Event: Note On: C4 at volume 96
3. Event: Note Off: C4 at volume 0
4. Event: Note Off: C4 at volume 0

There is nothing to relate the Note Off events to the Note On events. Explicitly: notes do not specify a duration.

There is no way to state which of the previous events should or should not be affected by the third event. MIDI does not provide you with that tool.

So a third event would be another note on for example, what you are saying is that there is no way of knowing if the first note lets say is affecting the third note on? Im really starting to think and hope that its a velocity issue...
but time is implicit from the beginning of note on to the end of note off,
i think i understand you a little bit

nop its not a velocity issue, i just mapped the trigger velocity in iannix to z dimension and changed the value and the note was louder but still with staccato... I dont know what it is...

Return to “MUTOOLS”