Making a Key follow EQ with MUX???

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mutools wrote:To be honnest
Mr Langie!, how ya doin there? :hihi:

Off topic, but I noticed something...you have said on these forums a few times that you are not a "native english speaker", so I will mention that you keep spelling this word wrong, honestly! :hihi: :) :hihi: 8)

Not being a smart ass here, please understand...wanna help out... :hihi:

Oh, and your writing is really quite good, actually.

Thanks Grizz!
I will do my best to write honest with 1 n from now on, honestly.

8) Glad I could help! :hihi:

mutools wrote:I still don't understand what you want to do, but i guess that's me.
Because if u want to boost/dim a certain harmonic, that's relative to the key and so with key follow properly set up, that same harmonic will be boosted/dimmed all the time. So it's just a matter of selecting the right harmonic once. It doesn't matter if that's done using a C or E or A key. Right? I'm sorry if i'm missing something obvious.
Most importantly: Is your question answered now or not?
My question is answered...

But nevertheless will I give an example, that you perhaps understand better...:

Let´s say I got a bass running playing a sequence of F notes (note number 53)...
The root note would be 87.31Hz...
The first harmonic would be an octave up = 174.62Hz

I want to boost the root frequency by 5db with a steep Q at i.e. 10... and want to let the EQ follow this setting when the bass goes up to an i.e. A ( note number 57 frequency= 110Hz) so I set the Key Tracking to 100%

The question is: after setting the gain and Q... which initial Frequency do I set... do I leave it at default???
Do I set it to the 87.31Hz from where I start of???

Imho, the answer is no... if the Multimode Filter receives this midi numbers from the sequencer I have to set the initial frequency to 130.82Hz...
Only by settings this value, the Multimode Filter does exactly, what it should... boosting at 87.31Hz if it receives notes with Midi number 53...
Boosting at 110 Hz as it receives notes with Midi number 57...

And this was my intial question... where is my frequency start point (which I set with the "Frequency" knob in the Multimode Filter), if I want this behaviour... and the answer (imho) is in general: at a "C" frequency... which "C" frequency depends now on the octave you want to address...
To have matching Midi numbers to frequency: you have to set it at 261,63Hz...
But if you play the bass one octave higher on the midi keyboard (like I do) it´s better to set it at 130,82Hz...

If you set it i.e. to 270Hz... it doesn´t work... you´re EQ is playing some cents off

But anyway the answer is (again imho): Follow midi numbers to correct frequencies = initial frequency "any "C" frequency value"

Trancit wrote: Let´s say I got a bass running playing a sequence of F notes (note number 53)...
FYI: The frequency of note nr 53 = 174.6.
See http://glassarmonica.com/science/frequency_midi.php
The question is: after setting the gain and Q... which initial Frequency do I set... do I leave it at default???
You only have to set the EQ freq once, then you can indeed leave it as is.
Did you check that example preset i attached some posts ago?
Pls do open it. Also plugin a spectrum analyzer after that basic synth.
Now set the EQ freq to 523.2 Hz so that's the 2nd harmonic of the middle C = pivot key.
Now play different keys of that patch and watch how each time that 2nd harmonic is boosted.
Nothing to adjust, the key follow does it for you.
That's what you want, right?

mutools wrote:
Trancit wrote: Let´s say I got a bass running playing a sequence of F notes (note number 53)...
FYI: The frequency of note nr 53 = 174.6.
See http://glassarmonica.com/science/frequency_midi.php
As I said... I like to play my bass one octave higher on the keyboard... so my note 53 plays at a root of 87.31Hz :-)
You only have to set the EQ freq once, then you can indeed leave it as is.
Yes, but first you have to understand how to set it... and to this related was my question...
But now I know :-)

First, I have not followed the entire thread (too tired after 4 days exhibition). So this is quick and dirty:

As the initial developer, the aim was that you do not have to do anything in terms of keyfollow or note modifications as long as A4 = 440Hz applies to the notes you send into the Follow EQ.
If you want to boost note F4 you use the default setting with an eq boost and sending a F4 note, if you want to supress that notes octave, you send the same note but modified by 12 semitones to a 2nd Follow EQ with a negative gain.

That was the initial setup. If you experience entirely wrong workings, there might be a change in C4/C3 definition as middle C in the preferences in play.

Return to “MUTOOLS”