Need help with Expert Sleeper ES2-2

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I need to get the CV controls from my modular to Max. I need to get envelopes, LFO in the digital domain in Max (float from 0 to 1).
So, I've just bought the Expert Sleeper ES2-2 module, that looks perfect for this work.
However, it doesn't work like I would like to (I've added some picture to explain my problem).

Here my connections (to check what I get in Max):
- I plug the output 1 from the Mutable Instruments Peaks (env mode) to the input 1 of the ES2-2 (3,5mm Jacks) (I want to check an envelope for example).
- I plug the output 1 from the ES2-2 (1/4" Jacks) to my sound card (1/4" Jacks) (RME Fireface 400, input 3, line level).
- In Max, I create the object [adc~ 3] to get the signal from my modular (the MI Peaks envelope). I need to get a envelope signal, AD type, from 0 to 1 in the Max scope~. Unfortunately, I don't have a signal envelope. I have a little noise that don't change when I trig the envelope !!!

I've changed my cables, inputs of my soundcard, inputs and outputs of the ES2-2, I've tried with LFO... but nothing change...

So, I need your help to make this in a good way. I'm lost in the website because there are a lot of modules and English is not my native language. I've understood that ES2-2 will work in this way...
Some people said to me that I won't need "Silence Way" to make this. Is that true ?

Thank you for your help.
Best,

Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I add two picture of what I need in Max (example of ADSR envelope and LFO).
Best,
Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The ES-2-2 requires the Silent Way CV Input plug-in to recover the CV from the encoded audio signal, or the equivalent processing re-coded in max. I suggest you try the plug-in first to make sure it's all working as expected.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

Sorry, I forgot to say that I used the SW CV input plug-in in demo mode (in Ableton Live) but it doesn't work (I get a digital stream aroud 0). I don't get what I need : beautiful ENV, LFO in digital domain.

So, do you think that can come from my soundcard : RME fireface 400 ?

What is the equivalent processing re-coded in Max ?

I need to convert CV signal from analog to digital domain in Max.
Thank you for your help.
Best,
Alex

Did you change the plug-in settings appropriately for the ES-2-2 (as per the user manual)?

I suggest you get this working first, so you know the hardware setup is correct.

Hello,

Yes, I checked the SW manual and I changed the plug-in setting for the ES2-2 : see my screen capture.
- First, when the signal from the ES2-2 is not connected in the input of my soundcard and when I select "ES-2 Decoder", I get a signal in the output of the plug-in : you can check this in the VU-meter : is it normal without signal in the input of the plug-in ? (screen capture 1)
- Second, you can see what kind of signal I get in Ableton Live when I trig an AD envelope (MI peaks [out 1]-> [in 1] ES2-2 [out 1] -> [in 3] Fireface 400) : bipolar and symmetrical signal with very low amplitude. When I trig the envelope (MI Peaks), you can see the change in the signal. It doesn't correspond to my settings : Attack = 0 ms and Decay > 500 ms. Here, you have a slow attack. (screen capture 2)
- I make a zoom on the waveshape when I trig the env. (screen capture 3)

By the way, in Max, must I use this plug-in too ?

Thank you for your help.

Alex

If you're recording on the same track as the plug-in, the recording shows the input, not the plug-in output. Make a new track, taking its output from the first track, and record that.

Better still, get a free oscilloscope plug-in (e.g. s(M)exoscope) and monitor it in real time.

It work fine in Ableton Live. You can see my screen captures (examples of ENV and LFO).
So, I tried to make this in Max because I need to make this processing here. But unfortunately, I don't understand how to make the same things : look at my screen capture : what is the problem ?

Thank you,
Best,

The raw signal coming into the adc~ looks wrong. It should be the same as it is in Live.

Of course, but I don't know why this is different in Max ?

Any particular reason youve set your adc~ object to have 3 inputs?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

[adc~3] allows to you to get the audio signal from the input 3 of the soundcard.

I don't understand why is so complex to convert the CV signal in the digital domain ?
Is it not like any audio signal ?
In the beginning, I send the CV signal directly in the input of my soundcard, to make an ADC (like any audio signal). But it is strange because sometime it is a right signal (example of env with attack = 0, decay =300) and sometime is not right (example of env with attack > 0). I need something very efficiency that's why I'm interested in Expert Sleeper modules.... but that sound strange in Max.

In Ableton live, I don't understand why I have to use another track to get the right signal.
What is the processing between this 2 tracks, between the CV_in track and the CV_record track ? is it not a simple rounting ?

Here, my last screen capture in Max (Sorry, it is small, but I can't upload bigger image).

Return to “Expert Sleepers”