Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Syntilla
KVRist

377 posts since 29 Nov, 2012

Postby Syntilla; Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:42 am Re: Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

v1.1?

Great update for one of my all time favorite music programs!

You can't imagine how many times I've wanted to be able to cut'n'paste from this application.
Can I vote for it again?

(I see the KVR page says it's open source. Haven't noticed that before. Is it true?)
Ivan_C
KVRian

989 posts since 11 Aug, 2004, from Marcoussis, France

Postby Ivan_C; Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:59 am Re: Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

Some guys gave me a lot of ideas for Inspiration, so I decided to add a few "easy to add" features :wink:

Anyway, it is not really open source (a typo from me maybe), but there is nothing fancy going on there, so I may make it open source if there are people asking. I can also add new features if someone is interested :wink:
Syntilla
KVRist

Postby Syntilla; Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:28 am Re: Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

I send stuff occasionally to people I know use Inspiration - mostly not musicians, but pretty much anyone I show it to wants a copy!

I thought, maybe, a simple - distributable (work out the licensing!) - version I could mail people, with pre-loaded 'advice' (not that what I send is really advice...)

If it were 'simply' (I know! I know!!) a matter of commenting-out a bunch of stuff, I might have thought of giving it a go myself ... 's'all ...
Ivan_C
KVRian

Postby Ivan_C; Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:50 am Re: Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

I see what you mean. Well, if you put in the data folder only the sets you want, it may be more or less the same thing ? Or maybe what you want with it is just an installer ?
Syntilla
KVRist

Postby Syntilla; Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:28 am Re: Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

No - pretty much what you said ...
... just an old habit I have of taking licences seriously, and not distributing other people's software (including freeware) - I don't even deep-link, just point people at the dev's download page.

People I know use Inspiration, don't have a problem dropping a new set into their data folder and viewing it. And I don't think I know anyone quite dumb enough to have problems using it.
But it would be nice if (other) people could just unzip a file and immediately start reading what I've sent them - most often a kind of nonsense 'greeting card' kind of thing ... (though the Blake 'Proverbs' set I linked in another post also earned me far more gratitude from the guy I sent it to than my own effort really warranted.)

And I really don't want you to simply say, 'that's fine - go ahead!'
Such a use has possible (and potentially valuable) commercial implications - as a marketing tool, for example.
Take another look at your licence: I think it's about right as it stands.
And don't rush into making it Open Source just on the strength of a typo!
Ivan_C
KVRian

Postby Ivan_C; Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:29 pm Re: Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

Well, you have just given to me some new ideas :D I may develop other new features later :wink:
Syntilla
KVRist

Postby Syntilla; Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:55 am Re: Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

A friend's 5-year-old absolutely loves the nonsense rhymes of Edward Lear.
Maybe yours would too.
But remember - these come from the 1840s: you might want to scan / edit for suitability before sharing.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b46olgwc8lmb146/nonsense.isn
Ichad.c
KVRian

943 posts since 8 Feb, 2012, from South - Africa

Postby Ichad.c; Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:30 am Re: Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

Thanks for the update! It's good to see that some DC entries actually gets updated post DC, a lot goes by the wayside unfortunately. Got my vote last DC and should have *atleast* won the wildcard/innovation prize IMHO!
Ivan_C
KVRian

Postby Ivan_C; Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:37 pm Re: Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

Thanks Ichad :wink:
Pytchblend
KVRist

409 posts since 4 Jul, 2011, from Manchester, UK

Postby Pytchblend; Fri May 29, 2015 1:43 pm Re: Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

This app is a blessing in those blocky moments, thanks for making it.

Looking at some Chrome browser extensions and found http://flashtabs.co/. It pops the next card each time you open a new tab in the browser... Now that's something I could use. It's a very basic slideshow reader, but nowhere as neat as yours, doesn't seem to do card sets and isn't as editable as yours I bet you cold make a better Chrome extension?

Syntilla wrote:Nonsense rhymes of Edward Lear.
Please can you re-share?
Ivan_C
KVRian

Postby Ivan_C; Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:39 am Re: Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

This app is a blessing in those blocky moments, thanks for making it.

Thanks, and sorry if I have been late answering your post, I don't go often in this area of the forum :wink:

Looking at some Chrome browser extensions and found http://flashtabs.co/. It pops the next card each time you open a new tab in the browser... Now that's something I could use. It's a very basic slideshow reader, but nowhere as neat as yours, doesn't seem to do card sets and isn't as editable as yours I bet you cold make a better Chrome extension?

Well this little web application looks great, but unfortunately I don't develop on this platform. I did a javascript function some years ago, which displayed random quotes from a database in plain HTML, I wouldn't be able to do a lot more than that nowadays :lol:

Anyway, as I told before to some people, I have some future plans for this software, I might work again on it one day
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to KVR Developer Challenge Chat