Maxwell Smart - Support & Feedback

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the Maxwell Smart support / feedback thread. Feel free to discuss about anything related to the plugin, and if you find any bugs, please report them here.

-----

Version history:

* Sometimes caused a click / snap sound on some hosts - fixed.
* Increased overall stability.

* Did not recall settings on some hosts - fixed.
* Some automated settings did not change correctly responding to different sample rates - fixed.

* Caused a click / snap sound when loading the plugin or stopping playback on some hosts - fixed.
* Settings could not be stored correctly, causing Maxwell Smart to not recall settings on any hosts - partially fixed (v. 1.02 fixes this issue more thoroughly).
Last edited by LivelyAudio on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

1.02 recalls settings now, thanks! :)

Will have to do more audio tests but for now... it clearly surpasses the popular free W1 limiter IMO.

It has a different, less flexible character than the Ozone5 limiter.. but so far, I dare to say that this plug is more or less equal in quality.
I don't care anymore if it's assembled in SM or SE (btw, is it?), it seems to deliver great results with fairly low CPU usage.

3ee wrote:Will have to do more audio tests but for now... it clearly surpasses the popular free W1 limiter IMO.

It has a different, less flexible character than the Ozone5 limiter.. but so far, I dare to say that this plug is more or less equal in quality.
Thanks, this just made my day!

(Talking about flexibility, stay tuned later this year, who knows if this baby gets a big brother. ;) )
3ee wrote:I don't care anymore if it's assembled in SM or SE (btw, is it?), it seems to deliver great results with fairly low CPU usage.
Yes, it's assembled in SM. I enjoy using VSTs just as much as I enjoy designing them, so why not do both at the same time :)
Last edited by LivelyAudio on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for this plug, rendering in some heavy squashing into breaks :-)

Jonas78 wrote:Thanks for this plug, rendering in some heavy squashing into breaks :-)
Thank you! Glad to hear you've found it useful. :)

LivelyAudio wrote:Stay tuned later this year, who knows if this baby gets a big brother.;)
As long as you implement things sparingly (keeping resources in check) with stability in mind, I'm all in for it! :)

If I may suggest: a simple way to affect the character like A/B/C mode switch for example, or a release fast/mid/slow switch or a continuous parameter for that while still keeping it "automatic".

Gain reduction meter would be useful too, :) even some couple of LEDs

My fav entry :tu:
This goes to my default limiter folder
3ee wrote: If I may suggest: a simple way to affect the character like A/B/C mode switch for example, or a release fast/mid/slow switch or a continuous parameter for that while still keeping it "automatic".

+1

This thing really looks simple and it's simple to use but boy is it ever usable.
It worked great in Reaper. It boosted the volume and at the same time acted like a peak limiter. I'm going to be using it a lot I think and so it will be in my top 5.

To whom it may concern at LivelyAudio, I have made a video of a VST instrument and in the video I used your Maxwell Smart plugin as a volume booster to make the VST instrument louder. It did not occur to me to ask you for permission before I made the video. I am asking permission now. I will remove the video if that is your wish. Either way, thank you.

one of my favourites. it does what it says on the tin. and it does it well. thanks for this great entry.

3ee wrote:As long as you implement things sparingly (keeping resources in check) with stability in mind, I'm all in for it! :)
Hey, that's very nice to hear! Maxwell Smart already contains many of the things a more advanced maximizer would have, only using them with automated parameters. Thus many of the implementations won't be needing any extra resources.
3ee wrote:If I may suggest: a simple way to affect the character like A/B/C mode switch for example, or a release fast/mid/slow switch or a continuous parameter for that while still keeping it "automatic".

Thanks, I'll take these into consideration.
erickUO wrote:My fav entry :tu:
This goes to my default limiter folder
harryupbabble wrote:This thing really looks simple and it's simple to use but boy is it ever usable.
It worked great in Reaper. It boosted the volume and at the same time acted like a peak limiter. I'm going to be using it a lot I think and so it will be in my top 5.
bronxsound wrote:one of my favourites. it does what it says on the tin. and it does it well. thanks for this great entry.
Thank you all! It's great to see so many have already tried it and liked it :)
harryupbabble wrote:To whom it may concern at LivelyAudio, I have made a video of a VST instrument and in the video I used your Maxwell Smart plugin as a volume booster to make the VST instrument louder. It did not occur to me to ask you for permission before I made the video. I am asking permission now. I will remove the video if that is your wish. Either way, thank you.
Feel free to use it in your video. Could you share the link?

LivelyAudio wrote:Feel free to use it in your video. Could you share the link?
Yes. Here is the link. Thank you. Timeline 1:01 is where Maxwell Smart begins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIMiP0LNv8A&feature=plcp

harryupbabble wrote:Yes. Here is the link. Thank you. Timeline 1:01 is where Maxwell Smart begins.
Nice video. Good to see you've found Maxwell useful even on classical instruments, which can be really hard to control when it comes to dynamics.

bug: that huge clip-click that was apparently fixed, showed up again but under different circumstances... namely; when I load a project and start playback or if the plugin is saved as disabled and than I enable it... I will get one of those huge clicks.... than than it will return working as normal.

3ee wrote:bug: that huge clip-click that was apparently fixed, showed up again but under different circumstances... namely; when I load a project and start playback or if the plugin is saved as disabled and than I enable it... I will get one of those huge clicks.... than than it will return working as normal.
Sorry for this annoying bug. This time I took all the time to break the whole thing apart to find out what's really causing the problem. I'm pretty confident I have fixed it now, and that these clicks won't occur again. :)

Maxwell Smart has been updated to v. 1.03.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”