Parks & Recreation theme - why do the chords work?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Listening to the them for Parks and Recreation, there is a part in the middle which simply sends shivers down my spine each time I hear it.

The chords (self transcribed in C for ease) are as follows:

C, F, C, G, C, F, C, E, A, F, G, G...

The point where they play E when you are expecting G is the 'magic moment' for me, as I said it just sends shivers down my spine.

As my theory in terms of the relationship of one chord to another goes, would anyone mind explaining how this works? Does this type of transition have a name? Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPfdQqskTQs

See if you get the "same feeling" at around 0:11-0:13 and 0:35-0:37...
Play fair and square!

Musicologo wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPfdQqskTQs

Wow, that was horrible. :o

Musicologo wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPfdQqskTQs

Not with the same amount that I get from the Parks & Recreation theme (I prefer the melody and instrumentation) but yes, this is the same sort of effect that I like

The E is a chromatic mediant - where you switch what 'should' be a iii (minor) chord for its major chord instead. Works every time. Well almost.

In effect, you are temporarily switching the key from major to minor (and is often done the other way round). So, you can use a similar trick on the iv (Amin -> A in C) or use the subtonic (Bbmaj in C rather than the Bdim). There are variations where you flatten the root and play the major and there is also the iv instead IV (Fmaj -> Fmin) which is a staple of soppy ballads.

Thank you, just what I was looking for!

Ok! The moment you posted the video of parks and recreations and I heard it, i "felt" one effect that immediatly reminded me of the song in that beer ad that I shared with you and you confirmed. I felt "shivers" with that beer ad at those points... So I guess it is indeed related to the way we connect our expectations with the chord progression. Of course, melody and instrumentation will play different parts and trigger different emotional associations to trigger then the "shivers". In my case with parks and recreations I don't have "shivers" but I also identified the "effect".

Gamma-ut already explained it theoretically. But in terms of physics I think it's as simple as: as soon as you throw an unexpected I-III relation, or iii-V-VII you'll "feel" it.. I get it all the time... so play around with those jumps of 3rd relations if you like them!

I always remember a song that has tons of those "jumps" (and I love it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB8nw7l-htU

(1:15)
Play fair and square!

Thanks so much, nice to know there's someone else out there that likes this :)

The E major is a secondary dominant of VI. Every degree but the VII has its temporary V.

I agree with the above. E is the secondary dominant, but it this case they are just using a major chord instead of a dom7. Without the 7th it is disguised as that makes things a bit more ambiguous. However look at the root motion E to A is a movement of a 5th and then of course A would normally move down a 5th to Dm, but it moves to F. F(IV) is often substitued for Dm(ii) because they share similar notes and so they function in a similar way. I'm guessing the writter chose the F because it would have a stronger cadence and move back to C in a more familiar way.

This type thing is common in jazz. In jazz it is usually done slightly differently though

(Parks and rec)C, E, A, F, G, G ----> (Jazz) Cmaj7, E7, A7, D7,Dm7, G7, Cmaj7

The basic idea is the same, but because of the genre all the 7ths might sound out of place. Hope that helps

Great thread. Thank God for people that know more than I do!

I always got a weird sit-up-and-take-notice feeling when that occurs in the Parks & Rec theme too.
John
"B4serenity"

Return to “Music Theory”