Fantastic scale & chord site

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Enjoy square one! For life.

So. I published a new version with ability to display both note names (A#/Bb). See options menu.
Staves are now only displayed when one note played. No more for chords and scales.
(I hesitate to totally suppress this not so useful stave display...)
Concerning not played out of keyboard 13h syndrom :) there is no more issue with stave display. Some can be now heard but not all. I ll have to add a semi octave samples. In a future version
1.13 version --> http://chords.jpglomot.com

Hi JeanPhi,

beta version of grid composer is great, will there be a possibility to save the midi ?

Hi. Thanks!
I already had this midi export functionality request. I think it could possible to add.
I'm interested in the usage you expect for this export.
You want to be able to play a midi file in a software? Which one?
Integrate this as a pattern in a daw?
Cubase ? Logic? Other?
You 'll need a midi file or the midi content in the clipboard (or displayed?) May be sufficient?
Jp

This is a mess. Dear developer, please educate yourself on the basics of music before creating "learning tools" for others.

What if I claimed that I was a playwright and I walked into a theater with professional actors but my script was full of formatting errors, failures to differential "too" from "to" or "two" and "they're" and "there" and "their" and my attitude was, "oh, stop with the pedantic crap, it's 2016. No one cares so long as the feeling and the meaning comes out. Just shut up with your over-educated crap."

How would I be received by the theater community? Do you think the actors will bring their best skills to the reading? Or will they roll their eyes and say, "this guy has no freaking clue!"

Would you want to take a lesson from me on how to write a script?

JeanPhi wrote:So. I published a new version with ability to display both note names (A#/Bb). See options menu.
Staves are now only displayed when one note played. No more for chords and scales.
(I hesitate to totally suppress this not so useful stave display...)
Concerning not played out of keyboard 13h syndrom :) there is no more issue with stave display. Some can be now heard but not all. I ll have to add a semi octave samples. In a future version
1.13 version --> http://chords.jpglomot.com
Can't see any difference. The same errors remain.
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

Sandy? Have you seen the last version (with the C#/Db display option checked)? You detected remaining problems?

Edit: oops ! double names display is ok for keyboard notes and chord structures but not for scales. I'll Fix This tonight and post a new edit here

This enharmonic equiv. feature doesn't solve much, sorry. Try C#Maj7 for example. It displays B# as "C". It also shows the third of the chord as "F" regardless if we are discussing C# or Dbmaj7. I don't think there is an expedient solution.

It seems like you need an app that has a chord and scale builder logic based on intervals rather than static piano keys or fret placement.

In other words if you feed C#Maj7 into the app, the logic engine would say, "oh, I need some flavor of C, E, G and a B of some kind," and be able to determine whether these notes are natural, sharp, flat, etc.

I see. The mechanism you describe is almost the one I used to calculate the notes ranks (3rd 5th ...) when the user click a chord position on the guitar fretboard :)
But I don't think displaying b# (and not c) for a c# 7th is a good pedagogical idea. Do you think it is?

JeanPhi wrote: I don't think displaying b# (and not c) for a c# 7th is a good pedagogical idea. Do you think it is?
Yes!
It's not just a good idea, it is absolutely necessary. To do otherwise is to do it incorrectly.

There is only one note a major seventh above C#, and that's B#.
C# to C would be a diminished octave (not any type of seventh since there are EIGHT notes involved)
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

JeanPhi wrote:I see. The mechanism you describe is almost the one I used to calculate the notes ranks (3rd 5th ...) when the user click a chord position on the guitar fretboard :)
But I don't think displaying b# (and not c) for a c# 7th is a good pedagogical idea. Do you think it is?
Do you mean C#Maj7? Why yes, yes it is a very good idea. :tu:

Spelling the chord right might seem tedious and pedantic...stuff only old-fashioned fuddy-duddies do. But to do otherwise will come back to bite you when you get further down the road of music - for example when you modulate to other keys in your pieces. To keep the expedients around, you'd confuse yourself hopelessly.

JeanPhi wrote: But I don't think displaying b# (and not c) for a c# 7th is a good pedagogical idea. Do you think it is?
Who are you faking out saying 'pedagogical' do you think? Good grief. You have revealed that you don't know enough to even start a project of chord names.
C# E# G# C, and you think this might just be better pedagogy?

I think you understand enough by now to know why B# IS the major 7th of C#! But it's inconvenient in your rush to complete this thing. That you're having to hash it out here would tend to indicate you're not ready to publish.

A B C D E F G
regardless of alterations.

C E G B
C# E# G# B#
Cb Eb Gb Bb

simples

JeanPhi wrote:I see. The mechanism you describe is almost the one I used to calculate the notes ranks (3rd 5th...) when the user click a chord position on the guitar fretboard
Well, we keep seeing things which are not 3rds, 5ths, 7ths...
C# to F is a 4th. C, D, E, F: 1 2 3 4.

Here's a quick lesson:
We're building by thirds. C# to C won't occur for a while.
I will avoid the redundancy of B# and C in the construction by making a Maj/Min 7th in the interim.
C# E# G# B D# *F# A C
(*: Real world preference #11, Fx) = C#7 9 #11 b13 b15
E natural will be a b17 if E# is true.

This is to further illustrate C as a different thing than B#; no C is any kind of B. & how letter names must be meaningful; they could crop up later and we encounter unnecessary problems.

The music that would even use 11ths is by definition from an advanced interest, a further vocabulary. There is no shortcut, the basics must be perfectly clear. (Now, one may write a line for say, an Eb instrument per that reality employing enharm. equivalents, but that's advanced past what we're even doing at this juncture.). Chord Reference? Has to be correctamundo.

Here's another thing I think is misleading. Let's use terminology consistently and correctly. Whatever note I choose for a chord, your app labels it as "T" which I surmise is short for tonic.

This is misleading because "tonic" means the starting note in a scale or key. "Root" is the word you're after when dealing with chords. A chord's root may or may not be built on a key's tonic. Best to not confuse learners. Music is hard enough to learn as it is.

Then in a dominant seventh chord, you show "b7". I see what you're getting at - it's a flatted seventh when compared to the major key. But better to use "minor seventh" (shorthand "m7"). Then you have a consistent labeling scheme.

Why? Because otherwise your labels will have a potentially confusing mixture of named intervals and intervals altered from the major key.

Return to “Music Theory”