Italian Genius 2005

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a long story.. so take a breath and prepare yourself to read a long funny story written in a non-perfect english...

Ok, let's start from the begin.
In early April, after selling off my old M-Audio Keystation non-PRO 88, I went to a local store because I needed a new 88 keybd, with weighted keys and possibly cheap and easy to carry. My wish was to take one of those CME but they still aren't available in Italy... (and who knows when they're gonna be.. but this is another story) so I went for a CASIO Privia PX-100, 600 euros with carrying bag.
I took the toy home, tested it, played something then I realized that something wasn't working properly: the maximum velocity level sent via midi was 124... if you want a full 127 you have to hit the keys really really hard, and when I say hard I mean REALLY hard, possibly with the worst anger you could imagine, like if you would break the thing into 2 pieces!
So, after 3 days I returned the casio to the dealer. He didn't give me my money back, he just released a credit bonus.

Ok the story is really too long to be written in english by me, so I'll skip some (important but unrelevant) parts in between.

When I talked to the man (let's call him Maury) he asked me:
"how did you manage to know that the keyboard doesn't reach a velocity 127 ?"
me: "I tested it.. with MIDI-OX and other softwares..."
Maury: "That software isn't good... it's not certified?"
me: "Certified? Since when a sofware needs to be certified? and then... certified by whom?"
Maury: "Yes, a software needs a CE certification!"
me: "OK, so MIDI-OX isn't good. But since you sell Steinberg stuff, will HALion be good enough?"
Maury: "Yes, Halion is good"
me: "OK, I tested with HALion, same results"
Maury: "But what halion have you got?"
me: "Do you mean my halion is not good? It's a legitimate copy, if that's what you mean, version 1.1"
Maury: "You see? It's an old copy.. now they have version 3"
me: "f**k off Maury!"

So please, software developers, from now on include a CE certification with your software, so people like Maury won't have nothing to complain in the future!

That's crazy! :shock:

Wow. That guy is the mother of all geniuses. :-(

He must be a professional adult! Who else would know that new software reads different MIDI values than old? =9.9= Sorry you ran into Maury. I guess even exchange credit is better than nothing, but... wow.

At least he didn't say: "be glad it goes to 124 instead of just 100"

cptgone wrote:At least he didn't say: "be glad it goes to 124 instead of just 100"
Answer:"And you won't live to see 75 Maury! " :lol:

i love institutions.. then a mean person can be policy
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

caro amico mio,
I can understand your experience!
I don't know how is in other countries, but our beloved one seems to have a few of this examples of arrogance and incompetence.

Once I had a short discussion with a salesman here in a famous music-shop in Rome.
He was stating that - from the audio quality point of view - a downloadable-only plugin will always be inferior to a boxed plugin! :shock:

Maybe is because their shops sell just the boxed ones? :wink:

- "How can you generalize? Have you ever heard about... <names_of_DL_only_VSTi>?"
-"No"
-"OK, you win..."

I sympathize man...
By the way, next time you go there, show him MrRay...

ciao
Francesco

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”