Pattern Programming tips

Official support for: muon-software.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey gang,
I recently purchased Tau2 after years of waiting for Propellerheads to update ReBirth for OS X. I needed a 303 fix. I use Live 4 ( 5 soon) and I'm looking for some programming tips. I can't seem to get the same 303 "feel' that I use to and I'm convinced it's the way I program it in Live. Any cool programming tips?
Sorry it such a general question, but I'm going after a particular style, just trying to get an over all feel back.
Thanks
Brad

The only couple of things I'd really want to offer up as a tip is this. The internal sequencer on the 303 cuts each note short by a 1/32nd. So if you're programming straight 16ths, cut each note down to a 1/32 instead. If you're programming a tied 16ths note, make it 1/16th+1/32nd in length instead of 1/8th and so on.

The other things to look at is how accent is used in typical 303 lines. If you want that "waum-waum" 303 sound, you need to:-

a) ensure only the notes you want are accented - use the velocity editing features in your sequencer and the Accent Threshold control to do that. Any note velocity above the Accent Threshold is accented, anything below is not.
b) Turn the Envelope Mod control right down to zero
c) Turn the resonance right up and there you are - perfect recreation of that sound :)

Then there's the slides. On the 303, activating slide on a particular pattern step causes the pitch to slide from the note *before* you set the slide to the note of the step you set the slide on. Tau2 simulates this by triggering the slide when notes overlap. If you want a slide on a particular note in a pattern, simply extend the note before until its note off comes after the start of your slide note. It's also important to remember that the slide time on the 303 is dependent on tempo - so set a glide time on Tau2 that feels right for the tempo of your pattern.

HTH
Dave

The 32nd note tip does it for me. Totally helped me out. Thanks so much.
Been using it with the saturator in Live 5. It has an EQ function that really brings out the 303 sound. Really cool.
Thanks
-b

Hi Dave

Thx for the 303 tips. Have you tried Tau2 with the step designer midi plug-in in Cubase SX3? Cannot do slides with this as the tie's just move the notes to the same value. Have you had any luck?

Would have liked to use S/Designer for its random and easy progam functions. Using key edit for now.

Cheers

Is the plugin a 3rd party jobbie or is it bundled with SX3? I'd have to ask one of our guys to take a look if its the latter as I don't personally have SX3 on this machine here in front of me right now.

Regards
Dave

Hi Dave

Yes it is a bundled midi plug-in in SX3.

The problem i think is because step designer is completely monophonic, you cannot overlap the notes, therefore no glide/slide. And also because the tie keeps the notes the same value.

Thx for getting back to me quick. It's not a show stopper, will just use key edit.

Cheers

If it is completely monophonic as you say and there's no way to overlap notes, then I would say there's no way to trigger a glide.

For a glide to occur in Tau2, a new note on message must be received while the previous note is still playing.

Regards
Dave

Return to “Muon Software”