Hardware DSP problem

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to develop a DSP for shifting some (but not all) notes in frequency real-time. Any ideas what hardware I should start with?

It would be nice if I could do a FFT and reverse in hardware so I could have more power for shifting the signal around.

Any advice is very useful, thanks.

You could use an FPGA for implementing DSP in Hardware. It is very fast (faster than dedicated DSP-Chips) and a Chip is only about 30 Dollar.

You need an evaluation board or you can make one yourself. You can have an evaluation Board with PCI. But it is not that easy to program cause you have to think about timing, board layout e.t.c.

You can get a Developement Software with simulation of the Hardware at:
http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_sw_updat ... wnload.htm

Its the Free ISE WebPACK 7.1i

If you're looking into dsp's, check Motorola (I don't remember the version number), or the TI C6xx series. They also heve simulators as wel as evaluation boards, with on-board audio codecs, and more then enough examples for FFT etc. You can choose between C/C++/asm for development.
I'd advise against developping a board yourself unless you have experience with it, even then an evaluation board will be cheaper in terms of developping time and price.

tony; what you discribed is not possible, you should probably try working with software first. minimal investment for hardware dsp is around $300 usd if you want to do anything realistic.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”