do any hosts really have sidechaining?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pipelineaudio wrote:VST has only allowed more than stereo input for quite a short time as far as I can tell.

Show me a VST where you can send stereo audio in and then set the detector circuit to pick from a separate track than the stereo one feeding the audio inputs
You have a point.

There's only something like 6 compressors doing this.

Much more could be done with 4-8 input plugins. There are plenty of practical applications for this, external plugin mixers, vocoders, synth I/O, etc. There's practically no plugins that do this yet.
Last edited by Kingston on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

sorry didint read the thread,

but i can use any plugin as a sidechain plug with eXT or Tracktion & soma's envelope plugin

:D

Subz

Pipelineaudio wrote:VST has only allowed more than stereo input for quite a short time as far as I can tell.

Show me a VST where you can send stereo audio in and then set the detector circuit to pick from a separate track than the stereo one feeding the audio inputs
No VST plug-in can do external routings. It doesn't know what tracks there are, what plug-ins there are etc. Nor do I think it should, when it's so much better if the host handles the routings.
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

stefancrs wrote:

No VST plug-in can do external routings. It doesn't know what tracks there are, what plug-ins there are etc. Nor do I think it should, when it's so much better if the host handles the routings.
Were getting into semantics a bit. We could say it depends on the host for the routings like you say, but still then chose which input would be used in the detector, and I mean by this an input other than the regular stereo in

Pipelineaudio wrote:
stefancrs wrote:

Were getting into semantics a bit. We could say it depends on the host for the routings like you say, but still then chose which input would be used in the detector, and I mean by this an input other than the regular stereo in
Ah, yah. I thought that's how it usually was done? An "external sidechain" switch on the GUI?
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

IIRs wrote:Image

:roll:
I cant find a manual on their site, but I would be surprised if what they are calling siechain isnt just a typical channel to channel feed like what waves calls a sidechain. Also its brand spanking new

GVst has a ducking delay for free.

works in my host and yes it's just a signal routing nomenclature - agreed.

-Scott

I love Logic's implementation in v5, but it has limitations. Have these been overcome since then?

i.e. can you use it's elegant sidechain facility for AU's now, and can you now select any type of channel as the input? In v5, it only works with Logic's built in effects and you can't directly select an instrument channel as the sidechain input (workaround: route to a bus).

OT GVST duck delay is the first one Ive seen to really do this elegantly. I guess this is kind of my personal point in the thread, for how long weve had native tools available to us, so much of what we used in the real world is not or is only just now becoming available to us.

So much of this stuff is OBVIOUSLY not designed by or even with substantial input from, people who actually have to use the thing in front of customers. Luckily there are a few exceptions

I don't undersdtand what needs to be elegant about a side chain.. If more hosts supported modular views... then it's dead simple. Connect the desired audio output to the sidechain input, and you are done. What's so hard about that?

sidechain..
ModuLR / Radio

ModuLR wrote:I don't undersdtand what needs to be elegant about a side chain.. If more hosts supported modular views... then it's dead simple. Connect the desired audio output to the sidechain input, and you are done. What's so hard about that?

sidechain..
Bingo,

ModulR, I think it's hard for people to grasp because of the fact that so many people have no idea what to do with a modular host. If you haven't ever patched up a real moog synth with cables, or ever touched a banana-plug cable in electronics lab, then it's hard for some folks to grasp what modular means.

-Scott

Some people just prefer a non-modular environment, and want sidechaining available to them. As has been stated, Logic provides for this.

I believe plugins like Twisted Lemon's Sidekick 3 offer what you mean by "true sidechaining" in FL. They route audio between themselves. There are other similar compressors you may want to have a go at.

rockstar_not wrote:I think it's hard for people to grasp because of the fact that so many people have no idea what to do with a modular host. If you haven't ever patched up a real moog synth with cables, or ever touched a banana-plug cable in electronics lab, then it's hard for some folks to grasp what modular means.
I dunno. Each virtual "cable" is just an audio or MIDI stream. You can see its source and decide its destination. I've never touched a moog and never used an electronics lab, and doing a setup like Mod's above, or even much more complicated stuff is really fantastically simple in either Tracktion racks or eXT's main page.

Greg

Pipelineaudio wrote:
IIRs wrote:Image

:roll:
I cant find a manual on their site, but I would be surprised if what they are calling siechain isnt just a typical channel to channel feed like what waves calls a sidechain. Also its brand spanking new
hmmm, without benefit of a manual I would assume the sidechain switches are 'listen to the sidechain signal' types.

I actually find little use for sidechaining with a patterned-based host, as I can copy paste opposing patterns at will, which to me was the work-around solution for sidechaining in the analog/hardware/only days.(with the exception of eq'ing a compression/gate function) Delays, ducking, expansion and other functions can be worked out directly without having to screw with a vst plugin. (thus saving valuable CPU cycles )
just an opinion mind you.

The modular hosts make routing to proper side-chain inputs easy so I'll guess Reaper does this also?
for entertaining porpoises only

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”