Are hosts really that dumb or is it just mine???

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using Cubase SX 3, and have been a Cubase user since VST 5.1 (please insert any obligatory "I paid for it, I'm a valid user, I don't use warez" KVR exclusive comment here), and there's one thing in particular that annoys the hell out of me, among other things.

It seems that the browsers are "dumb". What I mean by that is if I use the cubase menu to go to File -> Open, to load a song, cool, everything is great. Later on, in one of my VSTi's or VST FXs, I use the "load preset" in the plugin, and it's going to jump me to the directory where I loaded my song. Hmmm...not so great.

Do all host act with this behavior. I'd love it if Cubase could remember where I was last when loading a song AND where I was last when loading a preset. In an ideal world, it would be even cooler if it could remember the last place visited per plugin, but I think that's asking a little too much.
Place computer/gear specs here for instant penis enlargement

You need something like File-Ex:

http://www.cottonwoodsw.com/fx3summ.html

then not only will every windows dialogue remember the history of where it was the last few times per application, you'll also be able to set up a list of favourite folders for specific applications.

That's an amazing app if it works :D. Checking it out right now :D

Big appreciation for the link :D

Cubase is dumb by definition.

If the lights were on in Cubase, it would look for VST's presets in the plugin directory, regardless of the last opened folder.

One of those little things that, when added up, makes working with that app very bad for my blood pressure.
No, that wasn't me.

I used Cubase for years and never got much done...

I had used C-Lab creator before that on an Atari and got tons of work done...

I finally sold Cubase and move full-time to Tracktion and just love it.

It has some short comings, buy its work-flow and layout are perfect for me...

my advice with Cubase is move on..... really
peace,
david

I hate in plugins where I will for example, look for .wav files for a drum sampler. then I will find myself in some other random folder the next time I open it. Like a preset folder or IR folder. Just because I went there with another plugin or application.
Do not lick the fablanky

tracktion's files are handled within the program. preset/sample folders are remembered for each plug
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

androidlove wrote:tracktion's files are handled within the program. preset/sample folders are remembered for each plug
see what I mean :D
peace,
david

androidlove wrote:tracktion's files are handled within the program. preset/sample folders are remembered for each plug
I'm INSANELY jealous :wink:

In Energy-XT, you can add folder locations in EXT's own browser so you get 1-click access to your folders. Sort of like a customised browser.

iDavid wrote:
see what I mean :D
Me too. Does it work across sessions/projects?

Fl's file/open dialogues suffer from those kinds of problems too, but actual the browser is brilliant except, annoyingly, you can't drag .dll's or .fxb/p's.

It does however have a project browser with undo history, access to all current plugs' parameters and all automation.

this doesn't have much to do with this thread...

but

if you delete a audio file from a tracktion edit (main)screen, you can drag it back in from the project(like a browser) screen where it still remains... (sorry about the poor wording... but it is a cool feature)
peace,
david

iDavid wrote:this doesn't have much to do with this thread...

but

if you delete a audio file from a tracktion edit (main)screen, you can drag it back in from the project(like a browser) screen where it still remains... (sorry about the poor wording... but it is a cool feature)
Protools does that too, and Cubase sort of does this, you need to search for it though in the trash.
"People on forums are dicks."

:lol: Of course this has to turn into a Cubase-bashing thread, even though this is really a Windows thing! Some programs remember their last position, and some do not. Most of my VSTi's will load .fxp files from the last directory I saved them, and that's pretty standard Windows behaviour. I don't think you'll find anything works differently, unless its using its own, non-Windows file system, as our Tracktion/Live colleagues point out. I don't think it's fair to dump on Cubase based on that. :shrug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”