Melody Identifyer?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey

I wanted to ask this for a very long time, since my knowledge about notes and melodies is pretty limited.

When I hear a song, I (my brain) have some special criteria about melodies. If that criteria is right, I'm probably going to like the song. I'm pretty shure that most of melodies I like have some similarities wich can be described in musical terms (similar scales, etc...)

Is there some kind of software wich could take some multiple midi songs (or melodies) and for output to tell me some musical terms and similarities of those songs. Or even better to generate a new song using that rules.

The closest thing ever to this was Ntonyx Onyx Arranger, but on the other hand it's way different from what I want...

[edit] Never mind, that wasn't what you were asking for.
Last edited by Meffy on Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

so you want to input your favourite songs and have it make new songs using what its learned from the songs u input?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There are "auto-composing" software tools out there, but most are still in their infancy (composers don't yet need to fear losing their jobs.) Something that would be more helpful than a tool that "writes a song for you" is a working knowledge of functional harmony. Just the basics.

Try "Total Keyboard" by Terry Burrows.

Once you've finished reading the whole book and doing the exercises (it can be read in one sitting within 6 hours, I can personally attest) then try writing some music. You will be surprised by how helpful this one text really is!
Last edited by djdorian on Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

If you have found the concepts you have learned helpful, and wish to expand your knowledge further, then "Basic Materials in Music Theory" will help. It is written by Paul O. Harder, and editted by Greg A. Steinke, if I'm not mistaken.

For advanced learning, try "Harmonic Materials in Tonal Music," parts 1 and 2. It is by the same people as the above book of a similair name.

You can read all of these and complete their exercises in month or so. You will then have enough knowledge to write quite complex music.
Last edited by djdorian on Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

I have no relation to the author, the publisher, or the books in any way. I do not stand to profit in any way by sharing this advice with you. The texts I recommended are the best music-theory related ones I own.

matthewjumps wrote:so you want to input your favourite songs and have it make new songs using what its learned from the songs u input?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
that was a joke. i'm not that dumb.

ok then ;)

duke4e wrote:Or even better to generate a new song using that rules.
http://www.mxw.com/

Return to “Music Theory”