VST Midi output - idiots guide?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone.

Afraid i have a newbie question...which maybe be so simple its embarrassing, but a fair few hours have been spent banging head on desk!

Got bit of an favour to ask...but shall cut to the chase.

I'm trying to get midi out of a vst plugin, sending note on messages etc to host.

I've searched the web, found some useful stuff (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=692952) and some examples (midi gain), but stuff seems so hidden away in the code i'm finding it tricky to extract the usful bits.

I'm pretty sure to get a single midi mesage out is reasonably simple.

Is the processEvents() called every sample like process() and processReplacing()?

could someone give me some direction?? How does the sendVstEventsToHost function fit into it all?

I have my CanDo stuff sorted but after that not got anything that really works.

Can someone explain the steps clearly as to how it hangs together interms of what goes in which function??

Thankyou very very much for any help.
Ben.

thanks for help.

Still trying to figure it out...many appolgies for the slowness with which i'm grasping this subject but....

am i right in thinking to send a midi message back to host i can just use process and processReplacing and do (*out++) += myMidiMessage ??

guessing not...as that doesn't seem to be working for me...and why have the other midi functions.

What is the sendVstEventToHost function all about??

Sorry for asking such basic questions, but i am very very grateful for any help.

ben.

Hi,
MIDI is a little more complex to deal with than audio, at least for basic stuff.

sendVstEventToHost allows you to send an array of VstEvents back to the host (either standard MIDI messages or Sysex)

Check this link for some code:
http://www.niallmoody.com/ndcplugs/myfi ... uencer.htm

You should also check the VST list archive for some more info. You can register here: http://www.steinberg.de/Steinberg/Developers8b99.html

if i'm just sending midi messages rather than recieving them am i right in thinking i don't need processEvents?

also, i thought sendVstEventsToHost returns a true or false value?

benfromshildon wrote:if i'm just sending midi messages rather than recieving them am i right in thinking i don't need processEvents?
Correct, you receive events, including MIDI messages, in processEvents. You can call sendVstEventsToHost from anywhere.
benfromshildon wrote:also, i thought sendVstEventsToHost returns a true or false value?
Yes, it returns a bool. But you might as well just ignore the return value.

You can call sendVstEventsToHost from anywhere
Well, in most hosts. But, not in Ableton Live. It 'expects' sendVstEventsToHost to be called from within the process/replacing calls.

lanrosta wrote:
You can call sendVstEventsToHost from anywhere
Well, in most hosts. But, not in Ableton Live. It 'expects' sendVstEventsToHost to be called from within the process/replacing calls.
I was about to post that this probably isn't the case, but I just tested it first and... you're right!!! Jeeze, yet another thing to add to my Ableton hate list! Like there wasn't enough already... :bang:

Thanks for the heads up on that. But AFAIC that's their bug, not mine. :roll:

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”