Kontakt 2 - Output Routing Bug?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm fairly new to Kontakt 2, so please go easy on me here. First things first, my configuration:

Kontakt 2: Version 2.1.1.001 (latest Windows Version according to the registration tool from NI)
Steinberg Cubase SX3: Version 3.1.x (latest fixes and patches)

PROBLEM 1:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but as I fire this Instrument up in Standalone or VSTi mode, it's standard is set on the following outputs: Stereo 1, Stereo 2, Surround 5.1 and 4 Stereo AUX busses.

I can change them easily to what I want. In my case 8 Stereo busses plus 4 Stereo Aux busses, all properly routed and setup. The only problem hereby, I click on the red button "set standard" and I even get the response "Standard set", but as soon as I restart Kontakt 2 as Standalone and/or VSTi mode (doesn't matter which DLL), it jumps back to Stereo 1, Stereo 2, Surround 5.1 and the 4 Stereo Aux.

Bug Number 1?

PROBLEM 2:
I'm sorry for the size of the following screenshots (460k), but I'm running on a dualscreen system, not to mention that you have a better overview of what's going on.

The next problem is kinda driving me nuts. Not only that the VSTi doesn't keep the default settings I gave it (the busses), which is nagging me cause I don't like to set it up in every production, no... it also seems that there's a routing bug where I can't find a solution to fix it.

Even here it doesn't matter which DLL I'm using, however I prefer to use the "unlimited output" one, cause with 8 and 16 Mono busses I'm fairly quick at my limit. And because this was the reason I bought Kontakt 2 (to have more outputs than the Kontakt Player, better Modulation, less CPU/RAM usage), it's really pissing me off.

Anyway, I setup Kontakt to have once again 8 Stereo busses plus 4 Stereo AUX busses. Cubase fills up the rest till he has 32 busses (which idle around). Now I can start routing my instruments, properly panned in the multi window, to my corresponding output. This works fine, as long as I'm using the first 2 Stereo Busses.

Illustration 1:
http://www.studio-compyfox.de/testcorne ... ange01.jpg

However, as soon as I route the next instrument to the third Stereo Bus, something strange happens. The setup panning in the multi window is being ignored, the sound centered and while the third channel lights up in Kontakt, Cubase gives me peak on 2(!) Stereo busses. As if the Surround Bus was still there.

Illustration 2 - Kontakt uses Stereo Bus 3, while Cubase uses Stereo Bus 3 and 4, the panning is centered:
http://www.studio-compyfox.de/testcorne ... ange02.jpg

So I checked if I did something wrong in terms of routing, but it looks like I didn't.
http://www.studio-compyfox.de/testcorne ... ange03.jpg

I can't setup anything else in Kontakt, the routings in the channelstip from Cubase also show that this is a Stereo signal. I'm totally lost here, and it's driving me nuts.

I really hope I didn't buy Kontakt 2 for nothing, this thing sure is a monster and I can't stand Halion 3 anymore (not to mention that it's totally limited).

If anybody can help me with this issue, I'd really appreciate it.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Problem 1: worked for me (I used eXT to "Make Default" though)

Problem 2: Looks fine as well. Might be that you are missing that the channels 3 + 4 are configured as mono channels in Cubase (not stereo as you wrote), so that's why you get signals on both meters. This should also explain the panning issues.

But why is it Mono if I declare stereo Channels? By default especially...

I mean... I don't get it, I create "stereo busses", properly set up, but Cubase makes them Mono (however with Stereo Meters).

Either this is a bug with Cubase, or this is a bug with Kontakt. Maybe any Cubase users out there who can help me with this issue (especially if it seems to work flawless in eXT).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

It doesn't work because most (all ?) hosts don't support dynamically changing in- or outputs (and that's already when you are changing from mono to stereo and vice-versa). eXT doesn't support it either as it seems with K2, just tried.
What you can do is afterwards reconfigure the mono channels to stereo channels if the host allows it.

Edit: I just gave it a try now in SX3 and both "Make Default" and the outputs seem to work fine.
After making as an example 8 stereo outs as a default, they now show up as stereo channels in the mixer after next loading of K2.
So as it seems your "Make Default" seems to not work ... Are you really sure you use the latest update ?

Edit2: Either that, or you are not configuring the mixer strips inside K2 before hitting "Make default".

plastique wrote:Edit: I just gave it a try now in SX3 and both "Make Default" and the outputs seem to work fine.
After making as an example 8 stereo outs as a default, they now show up as stereo channels in the mixer after next loading of K2.
So as it seems your "Make Default" seems to not work ... Are you really sure you use the latest update ?
Yup, I'm using the most recent update, and the "Make Default" doesn't work. It shows me that he sets it to default, but if I do it in Standalone mode, and then restart the "standalone" version, it's back to default (2 Stereo, 5.1, 4 Stereo Aux). Same in Cubase SX3. I go to "Make default", unload the plugin, reload it - back to default.

And yeah, I configured the strips correctly, even resetted them to "auto correct" the routing, double checked it... still the same issue.

I'm lost...

This sounds like a K2 reinstall is needed (default install from CD + latest update).
But before, let's try something esoteric, if you're brave enough:

In the Kontakt directory there is a folder named "default". Inside there are the config files for the standalone and VSTs.
Now rename the file "outputs_vst.cfg" to something like "outputs_vst.cfg.backup" and put there the file I took from my own installation (it's set to 8 stereo outputs), which I uploaded HERE.

This should at least now show if your K2 uses these default settings at all.

The funk?!

You know what? I loaded up Kontakt after a reboot of my PC once again, suddenly the settings from yesterday in the Standalone Version were the ones I gave it... So I hit on "make standard" a couple of times and reloaded Kontakt. This time he kept it.

Then I fired up Cubase... Of course he used the standard settings, so I setup Kontakt (8 Stere Outs, 4 Stereo Aux), hit a couple of times on "Make Default". Then I completely reloaded Cubase, fired up my "Default Preset", loaded K2 into it and BAM... I have 8 Stereo busses, plus 4 Stereo Aux - properly working.

This sure is scary. Either he didn't save the settings at all or there's some kind of critter in my PC now who is like "do it or ze master is going to kill ya!". o_O

I found it took a few (500?) tries to get this right. One of the things I hate about Kontakt! That stupid "default" multi with Surround just buggers up the whole thing. START IT BLANK, YOU IDIOTS!!! :x (directed at NI) Don't they actually try their software? WTF.

Sorry, bit of a rant. Compyfox, did you save a Template in Cubase? Make sure you do. :D

Well I created a template back in the day as I switched from VST32 to SX3. I'm using Templates since VST3.7 if I can still remember. However there's nothing loaded in it, just arranged windows and everything else is blank.

But you're right, that "default setting" crap sure is tiresome. I really hope it works now, and I guess I better save my "Kontakt settings" to a save place for later usage.

As monstrous as Kontakt is, this feature is really the worst implemented one, heh.

Return to “Instruments”