Favorite Subtractive Synthesis Vsti?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Honestly, I don't like Synth 1 very much at all. I'm into FabFilter Twin and the GForce synths the most.

_starcraft_ wrote:
uvacom wrote:I think that's the whole thing with the fabfilter line in general - everything just works very cleanly and smoothly, they never seem to feel tweaky or fiddly. All of the parameters react how you would intuitively expect them to, so it makes programming nice sounds easy to do. They're not doing anything mindblowingly innovative under the hood, they've just paid a lot of attention to detail.
i couldn't get straightforward pwm sound out of
twin.
assignin the pw to the lfo did not give a nice pwm sound no matter what lfo shape i selcted.
Ah - what you should understand is that twin's LFOs are bipolar, and the PWM parameter is from 50% to 1%. The default setting for the pulse width is 50%, so if you select an LFO to modulate, and you don't either A) switch the LFO to unipolar mode or B) adjust the pulse width to 25%, then you will get a sound that is roughly that of an LFO passed through a diode. To my way of thinking, this is exactly what I would expect so I think it's very intuitive, but I suppose everybody has a different idea of "intuitive". :)

Anyway, the easiest way to do what you want would be to (starting from the "clean" patch):

1. Switch Osc waveform to Pulse
2. switch LFO to unipolar (round button to the left of balance knob, below MIDI knob).
3. Drag LFO to pulse width knob
4. Adjust modulation amount, LFO speed, and waveform to taste.

ew wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:But speaking of (pseudo?) subtractive synths, I can't wait for Absynth 4 to come out, the NI demos sounded sweet. Are you getting the upgrade? I don't recall the new features list saying anything about it but if they updated the filter model to include saturation I'll be in synth-heaven.
I have Absynth 4 already- remember I'm the forum moderator, and therefore I'm expected to be able to answer questions people might have about it.

Personally, I love it- I'd think you'd be crazy not to get it.

ew
Oh yes, I ran out and got (well, Ebay'd) Komplete Kare 2006 as soon as the upgrade path announcement was made. The new routing flexibility sounds very interesting...
A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Instruments”