4 string or 5 string bass

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've never played a 5 string bass. Are they harder than a 4 string?

For those that have played both, what do you suggest?

Thanks,

dw

Im a guitar player but play bass sometimes for other bands, and I am borrowing a 5 string right now,, and I can say it is slightly harder, The obviouls reasons. The neck is fairly wide and the lo B is a big-em. But its quicly conquered, I think the sound of a 5 string is just better as well.. I'd say get 1 of each :D
link to my Asspace page(Myspace) This has become a necessary evil http://www.myspace.com/worldofshit1

meh, i dont find it any harder to play a 5 string bass. then again i do have large hands...

anywho, go for 5 string, always nice to be able to play nice bassy-bass sounds.

I have a 5 string fretless btw :D

WoJ

It just takes some getting used to...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

advantages of a 5 string

- 5 more lower notes
this handy if you play in keys that could use it. i've played 5's for many years and i find it helpful.

- a different tone
beyond those 5 notes mentioned above, all the other notes on the 5th string are already taken care of on other strings. however, they do sound a little different (softer tone). some people dig 5's even just for that.

- somewhat fewer hand position changes
if you are playing in the middle of the fingerboard and you need a lower note, you may find that having a low B puts those notes closer to you. this of course all depends on your note choice, but it can sometimes help minimize the amount of stretching and position changes you have to do.

- higher notes
as an alternative to stringing it with a low B, you could string it with a high C instead, giving it the upper range you get from a 6 string bass.

disadvantages of a 5

- wider neck
some people find the width of 5's uncomfortably large. i really like 5 string necks myself, but not everyone does.

- flabby B's
many 5 string basses have really flabby B string tones. so if you are into bright/tight bass tones, you'll need to shop around and test a bunch of basses to find a B that sounds right to you. it might also mean paying a bit more for the bass, to get a better tone for the B.

- scale length
to further improve the B's tone, you may find you like the sound of 35" scale basses better than 34's. the slightly longer neck does make you reach a little further. some people find that extra reach to been a strain, but others are fine with it. so give it a good workout in the store before deciding. (btw, extended scale lengths do usually help B's sound better, but there are great B's out there in 34" lengths too.)

- price
5's usually cost a bit more than 4 strings of the same model do.

btw, DW, if you want to talk about basses more, let me know. i've been a bassist for almost 17 years and i was a guitar tech for over 9 years, so i know a good deal about them. i own one 4 string, three 5 strings, a 6 string, and an 8 string.

Much as I love the sound of a 5-string, for the life of me I just can't seem to get comfortable playing them. In my case it's probably because I've been playing 4-string for so many years that it feels weird, expecting something on the top string that's now different. I suppose if I was really into the idea I could get used to it over time, but I've honestly not come across the need for getting one yet.
And my Chapman Stick lets me play a low Bb, so when i need to go down that deep, I'm already covered (though the playing technique is totally different). :)
Last edited by Har on Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tthanks for all the insight on this.

The reason I ask is that I currently have a 4 string, I have a deal where I can trade it in for a 5 string.

-dw

Har wrote:Much as I love the sound of a 5-string, for the life of me I just can't seem to get comfortable playing them. In my case it's probably because I've been playing 4-string for so many years that it feels weird, expecting something on the top string that's now different. I suppose if I was really into the idea I could get used to it over time, but I've honestly not come across the need for getting one yet.
when i first started playing 5's it felt a little odd for the first month, but i settled in pretty quickly. a big thing was to just not look down while playing, while i was getting used to it. if i looked down, it weirded me out much more than when i wasnt looking. so i found it easier to let it feel natural first, before it looked natural.

however, i've been playing a 6 string bass for about a year and a half now and im still not as comfortable with it as i am on a 5. i still get thrown off a bit every once in a while, and reaching over the C strains my hands that much more. i've got small hands and i was totally fine on 5's, but this big 35" scale 6 string wears me out much faster (even though it's got amazing action.)
And my Chapman Stick lets me play a low Bb, so when i need to go down that deep, I'm already covered. :)
there you go again, taunting me with your stick. :x (ok, that just sounds wrong. :hihi:)

I'll go along with what everyone else said. Although I'm not an accomplished bass player, what I like about 5 string is playing up on the 5th fret, which basically gives me the same tuning as an open E 4 string. I've never been good at open notes since I like to plant 4 fingers in a position and work things like a scale. Probably the piano player in me. Plus the extra lows...

Ehh...I suck at explaining things. Go with the 5 if it suits you well. I went from short scale 4 to full scale 5 without much of a problem (except an occasional cramp while adjusting).

Gratuitous pic post... my favorite noodling bass, a mini Samick Corsair, and my Bongo 5 .

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”