WOW Check this FREE piano VSTi from Tascam !!!!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good God,
1) Syncrosoft is a part of TASCAM's SDK, with which these types of plugs are made. I don't know if you can/should delete the version that this plug installs, but you should all rest assured that it is there as a "formality" of the SDK, since this particular variety of GVI-powered instrument is dongle-free: An option that TASCAM has only recently worked out with syncrosoft. Ignore it.
2) Bitch about the CPU all you want. This thing does what piano libs many times it's size can do, in some ways better. This sort of feat is accomplished only by innovation in areas like modelling (in this case, DEF and convolution), which sometimes causes higher CPU usage. It has several velocity layers, but these are splits of the same layer, which have been given different velocity curves. If you don't like the curve, you can edit it. Read about GVI's editing features on their website.
3) This thing is FREE. It is ridiculous to take out your frustration with a TASCAM interface on a free VSTi.
Just because today's software is made for tomorrow's computers doesn't mean it doesn't work. This a high performance, 24-bit stuff. IF YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM TO PERFORM, TWEAK IT.
4) Mac Compatibility for GVI and all GVI-powered libraries is expected (no, really) this fall. TASCAM have made many public statements to this effect. The horses mouth tells me this is on schedule.

I've seldom seen such a negative overall reaction to a COMMERCIAL product, let alone a FREE one. Can't anyone appreciate a freebie that is easy to use, highly editable, and makes use of some of the latest and most innovative technology in sampling? Heaven forbid that the guys who brought software sampling into the world should give away one of the world's best free virtual pianos, lest they be collectively flogged by KVR members.

Marce: The midi automation dialog is for assigning realtime control to various parameters, and is found only in GS3, not GVI, or this VSTi. To adjust resonance "offline", simply click the "GP" button, and drage the Wet/Dry, and/or Perspective sliders to taste.
Mark Belbin
Wavelore Instruments
www.waveloreinstruments.com

Marce: The midi automation dialog is for assigning realtime control to various parameters, and is found only in GS3, not GVI, or this VSTi. To adjust resonance "offline", simply click the "GP" button, and drage the Wet/Dry, and/or Perspective sliders to taste
Thanks very much! I will try that.

Mark Belbin wrote:Good God,
1) Syncrosoft is a part of TASCAM's SDK, with which these types of plugs are made. I don't know if you can/should delete the version that this plug installs, but you should all rest assured that it is there as a "formality" of the SDK, since this particular variety of GVI-powered instrument is dongle-free: An option that TASCAM has only recently worked out with syncrosoft. Ignore it.
2) Bitch about the CPU all you want. This thing does what piano libs many times it's size can do, in some ways better. This sort of feat is accomplished only by innovation in areas like modelling (in this case, DEF and convolution), which sometimes causes higher CPU usage. It has several velocity layers, but these are splits of the same layer, which have been given different velocity curves. If you don't like the curve, you can edit it. Read about GVI's editing features on their website.
3) This thing is FREE. It is ridiculous to take out your frustration with a TASCAM interface on a free VSTi.
Just because today's software is made for tomorrow's computers doesn't mean it doesn't work. This a high performance, 24-bit stuff. IF YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM TO PERFORM, TWEAK IT.
4) Mac Compatibility for GVI and all GVI-powered libraries is expected (no, really) this fall. TASCAM have made many public statements to this effect. The horses mouth tells me this is on schedule.

I've seldom seen such a negative overall reaction to a COMMERCIAL product, let alone a FREE one. Can't anyone appreciate a freebie that is easy to use, highly editable, and makes use of some of the latest and most innovative technology in sampling? Heaven forbid that the guys who brought software sampling into the world should give away one of the world's best free virtual pianos, lest they be collectively flogged by KVR members.

Marce: The midi automation dialog is for assigning realtime control to various parameters, and is found only in GS3, not GVI, or this VSTi. To adjust resonance "offline", simply click the "GP" button, and drage the Wet/Dry, and/or Perspective sliders to taste.
Mark, the installer has interfered with some of our dongles; at work, I couldn't open Cubase becuase these drivers had messed up the protection device. I don't recall any other product - free or paid - doing that. I think that's a legitimate concern, don't you?

Ditto here, Mark. Read my above post. This thing has knocked me flat on my ass. Normally, I would agree with you that a good free plug is a great thing. But not when it takes out our other DAWs/Plugs.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Mark Belbin can we use your The Wavelore American Zither Free Trial Version with this free gvi piano version ?
Organising a protest march this Friday Schlesische Strasse 28 ,10997 Berlin, Germany

Mark Belbin wrote:Good God [...]

:zzz:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

General System Requirements
----------------------------------------------------------------
Minimum: required for CVPiano to run.
Windows XP SP2
Pentium IV 1.7 GHz Processor or AMD 1500 XP
256 MB RAM
Application Hard Drive Space 1000MB
A VST compatible host application

Recommended:
Windows XP SP2
Pentium IV 2.8 GHz Processor or AMD 3200 XP
512 MB RAM
Application Hard Drive Space 1000MB
A VST compatible host application
just fyi about the system reqs..

its not THAT cpu intensive... gets to 70% cpu on 64 notes playing.. on an AthlonXP 2600+

my computer is ancient.. most people should be good.

for some reason the plugin emits a deep bassy 'ppppt' after I release a key on my midi keyboard.. but if I play a sequence inserted via the mouse.. I dont get this behavior.. yet another reason to get a new midi keyboard :D

edit: I have the same situation on sequences too, so its not my keyboard.. seems like the left channel is peaking loudly after key release.. hmmm..

editagain: looks like its the EFFECTS that are causing this issue.. shame too since they are pretty good effects that come with it..

I reckon we need to get away from samples altogether... I was very relieved to see the 2.1 Pianoteq trial gave Pianoteq a fresh lease of life on my comp (besides a great new preset).

Will be able to afford it one of these days...

Vonbrucken wrote:Mark Belbin can we use your The Wavelore American Zither Free Trial Version with this free gvi piano version ?
Not at present. The version on the wavelore site is for GS/GVI, which, admittedly, is not that true a representation of what the product is (though the sounds and playability features are the same).

I do have a lot of business to discuss with TASCAM, and I think it would be cool to bring up the idea of a VSTi that contains demo versions of all currently available "Powered by GVI" libraries.

@bduffy:

Regarding the LCC included with the piano VST screwing with some users' other licenses, I'm not sure why this is, but I will report the issue to TASCAM. You're right that it is a legitimate concern. Hopefully, they will either issue a fix, or point out the user errors being made (if that's the case). One question I have for the folks having this problem: Did you uninstall or delete the new LCC as suggested earlier in this thread? I would expect that this version is needed to run the piano, but shouldn't interfere with existing licenses. After it's installed, however, it will have replaced the original LCC, so deleting it will delete your connection the dongle altogehter, effectively orphaning your licenses for steingberg etc.
Mark Belbin
Wavelore Instruments
www.waveloreinstruments.com

Mark Belbin wrote: 1) Syncrosoft is a part of TASCAM's SDK, with which these types of plugs are made. I don't know if you can/should delete the version that this plug installs, but you should all rest assured that it is there as a "formality" of the SDK, since this particular variety of GVI-powered instrument is dongle-free: An option that TASCAM has only recently worked out with syncrosoft. Ignore it.
While I may even agree with the rest of your post, this is plain nonsense.
As people apparently found out, this freebie is working without any relation to some Syncrosoft protection. Apparently you can even delete the Syncrosoft installer directory before you start.
Now, this is *not* described anywhere on the download page. There's also no hint of an explanation why Synchrosoft has to be involved at all for this freebie.
It's just a complete lack of any decent installer programming (unless you want to assume that Tascam is screwing up people intentionally). And it bears a risk of f**king up peoples other Syncrosoft protected installations.

No matter how much you like Tascam, how great this freebie might be and what not - that's completely inacceptable. No excuses. For some people, this installer seems to be just as bad as a virus or other infectious malware.

And as far as the problems of going back to the previous computer state go: Nothing new, really. One application installs "something.dll". Another application might try to install it as well. Sometimes installers will ask you whether it's OK to install a newer version of "something.dll" over the old one. Usually you say "yes". Fine. But, once you uninstall the second program, it'll just uninstall "something.dll" because it's not informed other programs might need it as well. So the program installed first is f**ked up. And fwiw, sometimes installers don't even ask you. Seems to be the case this time.
Sorry for this un-tech-ish explanation, but these kinda things seem to happen a lot and it's certainly nothing new that the Syncrosoft system is quite fragile (had some problems myself in the past).

Anyways, in the end it's Tascam acting like non experienced dickheads, offering a freebie that installs something absolutely not required which would even have a potential to f**k certain things up.
I wouldn't happen to know how anybody could justify that.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Mark Belbin wrote:I would expect that this version is needed to run the piano, but shouldn't interfere with existing licenses.
As you should've learned from previous posts, this LCC version a) isn't needed to install and use the plugin at all, b) *can* f**k up peoples machines, especially in case they decide to uninstall the plugin. Yet Tascam includes the LCC stuff in their standard installer (that most people may use because they don't know any better).

Regardless how you put it, that's just inacceptable bullshit. A freebie possibly f**king up what is supposed to be the heart of my studio? No thanks!
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Thanks for the response, Mark and for taking it to TASCAM. I was going to write Tascam myself, but you may have more clout! They really should mention the LLC stuff on the website, and look at removing it if it's uncessary. I agree with Sascha: people's (expensive) investments shouldn't be endangered by a LE-version freebie; it's unacceptable.

Mark Belbin wrote:This a high performance, 24-bit stuff.
I think it sounds like crap. I'll give it another chance but most likely it will be deleted before the sun rises again.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Wow. Are we too hard on people here? Are we a rough breed, us KVR'ers? :lol:

Return to “Instruments”